Aspect Ratios and Recording formats and mega disincentive to use Media Portal TV (1 Viewer)

warpgaza

Portal Member
May 8, 2007
Home Country
This is a make or break issue with me as I to wether or not I will bother to use Media Portal for TV.

I am very frustrated that the recordings and the picture do not match the transmitted TV. I have a 16:9 TV as I am sure that most of you do

Why on earth is Normal, Original etc aspect ratios all 4:3 on a 16:9 Digtial Transmission played on a 16:9 Screen and why don't you have a 16:9 apsect ratio availabe 14:9 is thrown in just to confuse the issue even more

Oh sure you have stretch which maps to 16:9 but the recorded file is still 4:3 format and players like Media Player to not stretch the play back so I am stuck with stick figures for play back with other software.

Another thing that annoys me is that you use .dvr-ms! why not offer .mpg ala the lovely Divico Fusion HD TV player that works in 16:9 and and records in 16:9.

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
i presume you are not using tv engine 3? as you can select mpeg or ts with the new tv engine, also the aspect ratio directly relates to the codecs if i select normal with nvidia codec it works fine if i switch back to mpv for some reason normal is then in 4x3 and i have to change the aspect ratio to pan and scan or something similar to get a widescreen image, so out of curiousity what codec and verson of MP you using?

fab70

Portal Member
February 11, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
I'm not an expert (still trying to understand how TV server works in term of stream quality) but you can always enable the ffshow filters in post-processing in the host pc.. very powerfoul!!

warpgaza

Portal Member
May 8, 2007
Home Country
I am using the latest release candiate and had being using the default codec on aDivico Digital 4 card codec (MPV).

Thanks for pointing out the different codecs.

The Divico codecs cause Media Portal to lock up but the descaler mgeg2 decoder runs 16:9 in normal/original view - but is painfully slow to change channels. I had assumed that media portal would cater for 16:9 no matter what codec is selected.

I am in the process of downloading and setting up tv engine 3 - again i had assumed that it was built into the release candidate.

Thanks for your advice and thanks for availability of the new tv engine 3 set up videos which I am about to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom