ATI AIW Owners (1 Viewer)

styriaman

Portal Pro
September 13, 2004
Austria/Styria
OB2 said:
I will need quite a few testers, there is however a requirement. You must be able to compile a version locally. As some of the files and test stuff I will not be putting into CVS until tested.

Hi OB2,

thanks for the great work! If you need another tester with an AIW9800SE@PRO - count on me (VS .NET 2003 installed too)

Regards

Joe

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    OB2 .... you really make wonders here.

I can compile from sources ... so I can test 9000 pro.

khaoos: Format is ati's own but can be converted to mpeg with ati mediacenter included in MMC.

forbes: The whole package i'm afraid. bell's and whistles ob2 is using are coming from ati medicenter and others are required to install it.
    One exeption if you use other dvd software than ati MMC you don't need DVD decoder.

CoolHammer

A

Anonymous

OB2 said:
    We will find out by testing.

Although if you can point me to it specs and tell me whether it users ATI VCR format for MPEG2 encoding?

yuupp.. it uses the ati format..

A

Anonymous

Actually I only have number 4 installed, I already have a dvd decoder and as all my machines have my dev tools this means mdac and rest are usually up to date.

ATI Call it the VCR format, but it's not strictly true. The way I am using it it's generating pure MPEG2. This is good because frankly the timeshift filters provided by ATI suck (single speed forward/rewind, slow seeking)

Instead I am using the stream buffer engine with the video analyser to provide multi-speed forward/rewind exactly the same way as the hardware cards do.

Provided you use the default codecs for the graph (e.g. none) then MPEG2 support will be automatic.

I have tested this and when I render the capture file in graphedit it renders them with my Cyberlink dvd filters. So it is pure and working MPEG. It can played on other machines.

Forbes: After I get the card to start encoding (hardware acclerated) into MPEG2 the rest of the graph is pratically the same as the hardware cards. e.g. PVR150 if there are no problems with these and the powerscheduler there should be no problem with this.

A

Anonymous

Blind, there is no problem from the video side as the components and codecs are pretty much the same but there are 2 problems.

1. The card is NOT directx9 compatible so does it work with mediaportals UI?
    2. As I don't own the card, I don't know what sort of hardware acceleration of MPEG2 encoding it provides.

If you card works ok with mediaportal UI and can encode MPEG2 from the MMC and run mediaportal while being used at the same time then it's possible and I will look at it after getting support for the radeons done.

A

Anonymous

Thats ok when I talk about testing I mean testing while building almost, just to ensure that things work and the filters do no vary too much etc.

As soon as we have the basic functionality working we will:

A) Release a test build with installer so that people can test functionality with their cards
    and/or release a version into cvs.

A

Anonymous

OB2 said:
    Thats ok when I talk about testing I mean testing while building almost, just to ensure that things work and the filters do no vary too much etc.

As soon as we have the basic functionality working we will:

A) Release a test build with installer so that people can test functionality with their cards
    and/or release a version into cvs.

If it's easier, don't even include the installer. There were a few cvs builds released on the mediaportal homepage that you would just extract over your current install, they didn't have the installer.

A

Anonymous

OB2 said:
    Blind, there is no problem from the video side as the components and codecs are pretty much the same but there are 2 problems.

1. The card is NOT directx9 compatible so does it work with mediaportals UI?
    2. As I don't own the card, I don't know what sort of hardware acceleration of MPEG2 encoding it provides.

If you card works ok with mediaportal UI and can encode MPEG2 from the MMC and run mediaportal while being used at the same time then it's possible and I will look at it after getting support for the radeons done.

1. Yes the UI loads but it's verrry slow-especially the animated menus. However, I was running this on a 700mhz P3. I'll try it in my 3.4ghz system to see if it'll run any better.

2. I believe none of the all in wonders provide hardware mpeg2 encoding-it's software based across the board.

I would just really love to get a rage with this working because it's a pretty solid tv tuner that I have and it still works like a champ-that is, with ATI's MMC, but it's a real PIA to use.

A

Anonymous

All the radeons provide IDICT MPEG assitance in hardware taking as much 40% of load. I think the rage might, I am sure I saw an article somewhere.

Anyway if you can compress full res MPEG2 under MMC on your machine then mediaportal can do the same as we will be using the ATI codecs and filters when installed on the machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom