ATSC Card Owners: Come here for Support (1 Viewer)

chesh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well, unfortunately ejkeebler, Win7 isn't officially supported yet. A lot of people have managed to get varying drivers to work in it, but it isn't without bugs. You may have to wait for MP 1.1.0 for official support or switch back to an operating system that is supported. Doing a quick search of the forums shows other users are using that card just fine in Vista and XP.

ejkeebler

Portal Member
    January 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Totally understand

I can totally accept that! I realize it isn't supported yet and hopefully it will be soon. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something to that whole graphedit capturecardsdiscovered.xml file. I'm not giving up on getting this card to work somehow someway in Windows 7 :D

I do not want to go back to sagetv, but I may look down the avenue of having mediaportal do everything EXCEPT TV until it supported, then dump sage all together. I have not looked down that road, so I am not sure how seemless the interface will be.....

hopefully someone figures something out and it will be a simple change that won't require much effort!

DannyMan

July 19, 2010
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi can you support Leadtek WinFast PxPVR2200 TV Card?

And what Info do you need to support it and how do i get it?

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    Just purchased a second HauPig 1600 card.
    I also purchased an 8 way splitter RF amplifier to compensate for the 9db signal loss with each split. I will use 6 of the 8 connectors and have 2 free for future use. I plan on terminating all the open connectors to reduce signal loss.

Technically we are currently watching QAM via cable as COMCAST re-transmit all the ATSC channels for free with their basic package per FCC regulations. They had a deal so I switch from the antenna to COMCAST cable. If I find the time I would like to compare the ATSC with the QAM signal.

I have given up waiting for the mythical digital transition so I purchased the dual analogue + digital card. I am guessing that it will take a few more years for the local transmitters to upgrade to HD. We have 1 or 2 HD channels but the rest are all fuzzy analogue. I tried the FCC site for a time line however they are too busy patting themselves on the back celebrating the upgrading of all the full power transmitters by June 12 2010 (which slipped from Feb 2009). You would think that they would have a list of remaining HD conversions with target dates. After all they have had over 10 years to plan this all out.

It's probably a mute point anyway. We hardly watch any ATSC now. We mostly watch netflix streaming and hulu. Even ESPN online had all the world cup matches. Ironic that the HD switch over has been eclipsed by internet TV just as it is (in the FCC's own words) finally complete. :mad:

BrunoB

Portal Member
    February 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Good Morning,

I've been using MP for a few years now - since roughly 0.2.0.3 (or something like that - can't remember). I've posted a couple of times and usually found a lot of help - so thank you in advance.

I recently went from cable TV to OTA ATSC and analog (still avail in Canada until Aug 2011)

I managed to get everything working - auto-tuning, tvguide.xml (since I use both dig and analog, epg would not provide everything), etc.

I have a 2.66MHz with (I think) 512Megs or 1 Gig Ram. The GPU is an NVidia 8000 or 9000 series card with a Hauppauge 2250 dual analog/digital tuners with FM.

All tuners are recognized and auto-tuned (except FM :( with I can't get to work even when manually tuning - it used to work under 0.x.x.x versions)

I have a digital to analog box I can use to compare and the software that came with the Hauppauge.

Here's the situation:

Going from my antenna to the converter box, I get 90 to 100% signal strength and quality on most channels.
    Using the Hauppauge software, I get the same results.
    With MP 1.0.2.0 the strongest channels (100% using the box), barely get 10-20% according the the MP info.

Analog channels are fine - no stuttering or a/v synch issues - just a bit of ghosting on a couple of channels, but that's an antenna alignment issue.

Digital channels start out fine, but over a few minutes, I get random pixelation scatterein on the screen (larger than actual pixels) which quickly degrades to filling the screen. During this process, audio starts to stutter and eventually also cuts out.

If I stop the TV (TV Off), wait about 5 to 10 seconds, I can usually turn it back on (TV On - software, not the hardware or server) and it's ok again for a little while until it starts again.

To make this even stranger, although it happens on most channels most of the time, it isn't always happening on the same channels and same durations. I'd say that it's a signal strength issue and sometimes, with OTR, the strength will drop and make channels unwatchable. Only problem is if I switch to the box or the Hauppauge software - no issues - strong signal and quality.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any thoughts as to why MP is not gettting the same signal strength or quality as the box or Hauppauge software. If MP actually somehow is not getting the full signal it may be the cause, but where and how would this be controlled? It's not a hardware issue since the Hauppauge software works fine.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help troubleshoot and or test this issue.

Bruno

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    (since I use both dig and analog, epg would not provide everything),
    Curious about this statement. Are you saying that when you get the same channel in both digital + analogue you can only have a guide for one of them. If so then this can be fixed by manually mapping the channel to the correct guide channel in the MP config.

On you main question about signal strength it would appear to be a MP bug. Because the HauPig software works good then that confirms all the hardware is working. Then without changing any hardware you open MP and the signal is 10% then the problem has to be with the MP software/config. I have a very similar set up and it works fine for me. Have you checked basic windows trouble shooting like HDD space. I would also check eventlog to make sure there are no smoking gun red alerts in there. The timeshift buffer needs a lot more disk space for HD channels. The problem I have see is if I am too quick to open MP and turn TV on then it can hang. I usually wait a minute after I open MP before using the MyTV. You could try doing things a lot slower to see if that helps. Apart from that it sounds like it is a signal strength issue except that you do get good picture for a couple of minutes. If it was bad signal then it would always be pixelated.

BrunoB

Portal Member
    February 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    moab,

Thanks for helping me out.

I'll try to answer questions....

(since I use both dig and analog, epg would not provide everything),
    Curious about this statement. Are you saying that when you get the same channel in both digital + analogue you can only have a guide for one of them. If so then this can be fixed by manually mapping the channel to the correct guide channel in the MP config.

I get both digital channels from the US and Canada. I get analog channels from Canada. Not all analog channels are also digital and not all digital are also analog. So, just the EPG from the digital feed would not have all the channels I get (approx 30). So, I use mc2xml.exe to create a tvguide.xml (and then use the plugin to pull it into MP). At first this was an issue since any Canadian listings using mc2xml.exe also offered only analog or digital. I had found software to stitch two tvguide.xml files together, but found a more elegant solution by merely picking a nearby US town which had both digital and analog listings within it. Once I mapped the stations I do get, I have a complete channel listing.

On you main question about signal strength it would appear to be a MP bug. Because the HauPig software works good then that confirms all the hardware is working. Then without changing any hardware you open MP and the signal is 10% then the problem has to be with the MP software/config.

I agree completely. I went through all the steps to isolate the problem and I know it isn't actual signal strength or hardware since I get excellent signal strength through the D/A converter box, and also through the Hauppauge software.

I have a very similar set up and it works fine for me. Have you checked basic windows trouble shooting like HDD space. I would also check eventlog to make sure there are no smoking gun red alerts in there. The timeshift buffer needs a lot more disk space for HD channels.

Now that I'm sitting in front of the system, I'll give you a bit more accurate info:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 2.66 GHz
    RAM: 768 Megs

HDDs: 2 each with nearly 40 Gigs free

Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8400 GS

Tuner Card: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250

I don't think HDD space is the issue. I think I have enough RAM and CPU guts as well. Am I right in this assumption?

By the eventlog, do you mean the Windows Event Viewer, or an MP eventlog?

The problem I have see is if I am too quick to open MP and turn TV on then it can hang. I usually wait a minute after I open MP before using the MyTV. You could try doing things a lot slower to see if that helps. Apart from that it sounds like it is a signal strength issue except that you do get good picture for a couple of minutes. If it was bad signal then it would always be pixelated.

I think I have a similar issue, but when I go to TV too soon, it just goes to the blue background and waits for a little while. The My TV menu eventually shows. On rare occasions, the entire systems hangs going to TV, but that's really rare.

I agree with your assessment that it sounds like a signal strength issue, but it isn't - it's the signal being processed by MP or a codec, or something....? Would screen captures of the pixelation help?

Thanks for your help.

Bruno

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    I would first check your windows eventvwr.
    Fix any errors in system and application.
    Then I would re-test.
    If still problem you will have to look in the MP logs.
    You can clear the log files then re-test. Then you can post them on here as attachments to help troubleshoot.

I am going to upgrade to MP 1.1.0 final this week.
    Perhaps this would fix your problem (or make it worse :O )?

Your hardware is below minimum for HD.

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/GeneralRequirements#Hardware_Requirements

As your video works fine inside the bundle haupaug s/w we can assume that your graphics card is correctly handling the graphics processing and the CPU is relieved of that burden. Although the symptoms would fit. Might want to look at taskmgr cpu usage graph to make sure CPU is not maxed out when you reproduce the issue.

Are you running any anti-malware software or other cpu hogging software. If so disable all those services for testing purposes.

Pixelation screen shots would not help me.

BrunoB

Portal Member
    February 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Moab,

I was away for a few days. I'll clear up some HDD space and check CPU usage with and without the anti-spyware/virus software.

Will let you know in next couple of days. Thanks for the help.

Bruno

Circe44

November 26, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi there, first I will apologize for necro-ing a 2+ year old thread, but I am not sure where else would be a good place to ask.. I read through about 20 pages of this 50 page thread, I hope I have not missed a fix already posted.

I've been wrestling with MediaPortal for a couple days now. I want to use it as a backend for XBMC to watch TV, however I'm having difficulties getting MediaPortal to pick up TV signals with a Hauppauge 2250. I get ATSC cable TV from Comcast (zip code 55110) and as far as I can tell the tuner and appropriate drivers are working I just don't pick up near the number of channels I should (I have 15 of about 60?). The computer was put together about a week ago, all new pieces but running old WinXP Sp 3. Any ideas where I'm losing channels?? The tuner and graphics cards worked fine with Win8 Media Center a few days ago so they are ok.

Thank you for your attention!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom