ATSC Card Owners: Come here for Support (2 Viewers)

LYHTSPD

Portal Member
February 25, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Well, I am new to this game and I think I need some help. I have all the basics up and running on MP, however I am having some confusions with the WebEPG plugin. When I scan my digital channels, non of them come up with the provider field filled out. I can import the list into the WebEPG config utility, but with it can not automap because it does not recognize any of the channels (I guess). Also, some of my local channels have sub-channels that don't seem to be listed in the channel mapping list. What do I do with those? I am sure I am making this a lot harder than it needs to be. I can post more info and logs if needed.

chesh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    Home Country
    Ok, new issue with my setup that I just figured out tonight. Maybe someone has an idea of how to work it out. Since I have the ATSC channels matched up with the HD-PVR Schedules Direct download, it's still paying attention to the channels that are associated with the ATSC tuning. Ex. I have channel 14 that is actually channel 14 on the cable box. But, I also have channel 14 coming over the ATSC card, but it's channel 106 with a frequency of 65732, etc. etc. So, when I type in 106 on my remote control, instead of tuning to the Schedules Direct channel 106 (same as my cable box) it tunes to channel 14 (My ATSC card is the primary input). Any ideas of how to get MediaPortal to ignore the channels from the ATSC card and just know that the channel and frequency is what needs to be tuned to when selecting that channel and that it isn't a channel to be typed into to go to? I hope that makes sense. BTW: If I open the guide and select 106 in the channel line-up, it actually goes to the appropriate channel on the ATSC card. So, this is only a thing about typing in a channel via the remote/keyboard. Thanks for any help.

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    Ok, new issue with my setup that I just figured out tonight. Maybe someone has an idea of how to work it out. Since I have the ATSC channels matched up with the HD-PVR Schedules Direct download, it's still paying attention to the channels that are associated with the ATSC tuning. Ex. I have channel 14 that is actually channel 14 on the cable box. But, I also have channel 14 coming over the ATSC card, but it's channel 106 with a frequency of 65732, etc. etc. So, when I type in 106 on my remote control, instead of tuning to the Schedules Direct channel 106 (same as my cable box) it tunes to channel 14 (My ATSC card is the primary input). Any ideas of how to get MediaPortal to ignore the channels from the ATSC card and just know that the channel and frequency is what needs to be tuned to when selecting that channel and that it isn't a channel to be typed into to go to? I hope that makes sense. BTW: If I open the guide and select 106 in the channel line-up, it actually goes to the appropriate channel on the ATSC card. So, this is only a thing about typing in a channel via the remote/keyboard. Thanks for any help.

I found something to save us the PITA part as you call it.
    When you go to the TV Channels look on the bottom right.
    There are a couple of buttons.
    One is to unselect scrambled channels.
    The other to delete scrambled channels.
    I did not notice them before (doh!).
    This saves me a huge amount of work.
    Now if only I could view the channel numbers like my TVs QAM tuner displays then it would be quite streamlined.

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Entering channel numbers to go to channels can only be done while in the guide for N.A. setups. If you enter the channel you want to go to in fullscreen TV, it will not go to that channel number, but instead the channel corresponding with that line number in the SQL database (index).

Since you have to go the guide anyways, pick it there. Set up two groups, one for OTA & one for cable.

chesh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    Home Country
    So, in my case, if the channel exists as an ATSC, I'll just have to select it in the guide in order for it to select the right channel? There's no way to delete the channel number for the ATSC channels so that MediaPortal will just know that the channel/freq on the ATSC card equals the channel I have it combined with?

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I'm lost trying to understand the channel numbering scenario in your previous post. If you're saying that 106 cable & 14 ATSC are equivalent & you've combined them in TV server, then if you're ATSC is listed as higher priority, it should go to ATSC 14. I don't see there being a problem there.

My point was that no matter what type of provider you're using in N.A. channel entry (by channel number) can't be done outside the guide, or you'll end up with the wrong channel.

There's no way to delete the channel number for the ATSC channels so that MediaPortal will just know that the channel/freq on the ATSC card equals the channel I have it combined with?

If the channel you've combined it with is a cable channel, then the frequencies are not equivalent. Cable very rarely puts an OTA channel on the same channel number on cable as it causes interference. Anything above channel 13 doesn't match in frequency anyways, as UHF & cable use different frequency bands (with some misaligned overlap).

iskondi

March 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Are we unable to post our channel mappings?

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in the previous 47 pages but I've only read the last few of them. I'm having the same difficulty with Comcast Digital Cable showing all the QAM channels as "Unknown". I was wondering if there is a reason why we couldn't share these files so that we don't have lots of people running through the same pain?

IE If I spent time this weekend getting the channel names correct for the QAM mappings, would there be a problem posting an export of that along with my provider name and zip code?

If this has already been answered my apologies.
    Iskondi

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in the previous 47 pages but I've only read the last few of them. I'm having the same difficulty with Comcast Digital Cable showing all the QAM channels as "Unknown". I was wondering if there is a reason why we couldn't share these files so that we don't have lots of people running through the same pain?

IE If I spent time this weekend getting the channel names correct for the QAM mappings, would there be a problem posting an export of that along with my provider name and zip code?

If this has already been answered my apologies.
    Iskondi

I think this would be a good idea.
    However there has got to be a better way for MP to do this as my TV tuner can figure it out.
    I just found out there is an option to display the channel number in media portal I want to play with that. My QAM tuner in the TV figures out the channel numbers so I know they are embedded in the QAM signal.
    Also I want to test the remove scrambled channels button and see if that works.

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I just found out there is an option to display the channel number in media portal I want to play with that. My QAM tuner in the TV figures out the channel numbers so I know they are embedded in the QAM signal.
    Also I want to test the remove scrambled channels button and see if that works.

Problem is MP addresses channels, for entry & guide listings, by their physical broadcast frequency. While remap data is parsed from the stream, it goes unused. I've attached a pic of an ATSC scan. In it you'll see WUTV, which is 29-1 & 29-2 on my normal TV, listed as 14 & 14. It lists the channel remaps next to the physical carrier channel, but there is no way to address the channel by this. WNED further down the list has 3 channels, that all show up in MP as 43. If I enter 43, it takes me to the first WNED channel, & I have to manually navigate to the others.

For QAM, this problem will be worse, as sometimes many channels are carried on one carrier channel. They will all end up on the same channel number in MP.

I PM'd dman about this a while back, asking if it would be possible to allow ATSC/QAM channels to be addressed (and displayed in the guide) using their remapped channel numbers. I wanted to be able to type 29-1 or 29-2, using the '-' key on the MCE remote (it's keyboard equivalent to '*' so numpad entry is possible). He had a few follow up questions, but I have no idea if it's currently getting any consideration by the dev team.

Attachments

• ATSC_Scan.jpg
      ATSC_Scan.jpg
      127.7 KB

JohnDoe1

March 28, 2009
    Home Country
    Successfully Configured

I have successfully configured my atsc card (Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600) and scheduled direct. The issue I am having is that I can preview the channel in the TV Server configuration. However, I can not actually watch TV, via My TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom