att: guidedigger users and Oz MP users (1 Viewer)

SvenStoove

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I did use this before I come across guidedigger. I had issues around the the accuracy of the data provided by it. It would be fine for users in capital cities were data was looked over by several people.

just on that, does epgstream still use screens scrapers or is it all community input?

The other thing that concerns me is that the project has seemed to have stalled? Has it not?

I loved guidedigger as it was simple to setup and use. The data could be pin-pointed to your city/area better then what epgstream or for that matter any other xmltv data source if have used.. Even better then the EPG data over the air.

I might give it another go to see what it can give me now.

Yes, and very sad news regarding Angusmann. His support for this program and continued development of it will be sadly missed.I am kicking myself that I had lost the source code. I would have loved nothing more then to continued on this program in his memory as it was years of development from the days of Dugg to guidedigger.

For those of you using guidedigger, I would start to look at the alternatives out there, as unfortunatly it's days are numbered. With the hosting server for ftp traffic could stop anyday now and for the other data, all it would take is a change to some css/html/javascript or whatever and it will be broken.

I have also tried to find a decompiler for this program but to no avail.

I hope that someone else throughout all these posts and pm's may have a copy of it.

Maybe one of the mods can investigate Angusmanns profile to see if this guidedigger.bas file is stored there or even a link to it, but I understand if this is somewhat inappropriate or against the privacy rules.

pantner

Portal Member
    June 16, 2009
    Home Country
    I did use this before I come across guidedigger. I had issues around the the accuracy of the data provided by it. It would be fine for users in capital cities were data was looked over by several people.

just on that, does epgstream still use screens scrapers or is it all community input?

it gives you the choise to provide your own source, or to use one of 4 built in. The only OZ one is OzTiVo, which i would say would be decent in terms of accuracy...but i guess it does depend on where u live.

BKCH

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Hi Guys - Bummer that the guidedigger code seems to be lost. I'm trying to download epgstream to give it a go but their server keeps resetting my download - any chance one of you guys could email it to me? Please PM if you can help out :)

pantner

Portal Member
    June 16, 2009
    Home Country
    so, getting sick of EPGStream's nag windows (40 second bootup time!) i have written my own using a combination of VBS and HTA.

At the moment, it is very basic.

I might be convinced to release it, but i will need to make some changes to make it easy to work with

and im still not 100% sure it does everything correctly (ie, timezone change)

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    If people are looking for a paid solution, IceTV is very good. At $99 a year, its not exactly cheap, but I've been pleased with it. Very simple to configure (MP instructions included on their website) and I would say the data is very good and reliable. Have not noticed a "To be Advised" or incorrect program yet in about 6 months of use, which, as good as guidedigger was, you occasionally got. Very simple download of an xmltv file, and auto import by TV Server. It also has a free iphone app.

PS I don't work for IceTV ;)

Lichloathe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I found this site for AU guides, it has all the latest channels and about 7days worth.
    http://www.epg-service.tv/

I use the XMLTV plugin in TVServer config.
    For Perth I use http://www.epg-service.tv/Perth/fta/output.xmltv in the Remote tab then all you need to do is map the channels.

Note: Not sure how long the site has been going or how long it will continue. I've been using it for about 6 Months.

redeye19987

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2009
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I sent ltfearme a PM with the page which the data is scrapped from a couple of weeks ago so fingers crossed there may be a new guidedigger like solution if he makes something from scratch? in the mean time, I can survive with out the couple of new channels data or use the above source. It is still running flawlessly for me for all my Foxtel and FTA channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom