Audio concept of MP2

Discussion in 'General' started by netexplorer, January 16, 2012.

1. netexplorer
    • Premium Supporter

netexplorer MP Donator

Ratings:
    +101 / 1
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hi,
    i have a question about the audio concept of MP2.
    Is it planned to support easily switching between audio devices or play the stream on more than one audio device like some audio software is capable to?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Albert
    • Premium Supporter

Albert MP2 Developer

Dipl.-Inform.
    Ratings:
    +1,130 / 1
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    AW: Audio concept of MP2

No, it is not planned to have such a switch, but if it is needed/wanted, someone could look into the subject.
    I think such a switch would need to switch the audio signals of all players at once, maybe the correct place to add such an audio device management would be the PlayerManager or somewhere near that class.
    Do you have experience with that subject? Can you tell me possible use cases?

4. Arturas1976
    • Premium Supporter

Arturas1976 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    Home Country:
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Show System Specs
    Case could be in a larger house moving to other room and leaving the same audio content playing could be nice.
    Just to have cabling to other room.
    As having aMPdroid or similar remote managing option is/will be available it all becomes great option.

Kind of Sonos replacement :)

Of course this could be made with audio receiver that can manage different zones, but this option could be used with
    already owned audio sets. Even audio can be sent wireless from HTPC to other room's audio setup.

Arturas

5. Albert
    • Premium Supporter

Albert MP2 Developer

Dipl.-Inform.
    Ratings:
    +1,130 / 1
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany

I don't completely understand: Do you want the same audio signal to be played in multiple rooms or do you want different audio signals which all are managed by one single MP2 instance? Or do you want multiple MP2 instances on the same computer, one instance per "audio zone"?

6. Arturas1976
    • Premium Supporter

Arturas1976 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +40 / 0
    Home Country:
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Show System Specs
    The simpliest is enough - the same isntance to be played in multiple rooms. More different instances do not think that is needed, but as I understand right in MP2 this could be possible also.

7. netexplorer
    • Premium Supporter

netexplorer MP Donator

Ratings:
    +101 / 1
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs

In my setup i use the TV connected through DVI and 3,5 audio jack. When i watch a movie or listen to music, i want to use my surround system connected through SPDIF. So i have to switch the audio device. Sure, i can connect my HTPC with HDMI to my receiver and TV, but then i have to switch on the receiver all the time. So i think, many users would be glad of such function.

8. doveman

doveman Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +182 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Another scenario which you might like to consider. Sometimes I want to watch films in 5.1 and other times only in Stereo (maybe late at night or over headphones), so it would be nice to have a switch in MP to mixdown the 5.1 to stereo. I don't have a receiver and only use the analog outputs on my PC, so I can't switch output devices to achieve this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!