Audio concept of MP2 (1 Viewer)

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    i have a question about the audio concept of MP2.
    Is it planned to support easily switching between audio devices or play the stream on more than one audio device like some audio software is capable to?

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Audio concept of MP2

No, it is not planned to have such a switch, but if it is needed/wanted, someone could look into the subject.
    I think such a switch would need to switch the audio signals of all players at once, maybe the correct place to add such an audio device management would be the PlayerManager or somewhere near that class.
    Do you have experience with that subject? Can you tell me possible use cases?

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Case could be in a larger house moving to other room and leaving the same audio content playing could be nice.
    Just to have cabling to other room.
    As having aMPdroid or similar remote managing option is/will be available it all becomes great option.

Kind of Sonos replacement :)

Of course this could be made with audio receiver that can manage different zones, but this option could be used with
    already owned audio sets. Even audio can be sent wireless from HTPC to other room's audio setup.

Arturas

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I don't completely understand: Do you want the same audio signal to be played in multiple rooms or do you want different audio signals which all are managed by one single MP2 instance? Or do you want multiple MP2 instances on the same computer, one instance per "audio zone"?

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    The simpliest is enough - the same isntance to be played in multiple rooms. More different instances do not think that is needed, but as I understand right in MP2 this could be possible also.

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

In my setup i use the TV connected through DVI and 3,5 audio jack. When i watch a movie or listen to music, i want to use my surround system connected through SPDIF. So i have to switch the audio device. Sure, i can connect my HTPC with HDMI to my receiver and TV, but then i have to switch on the receiver all the time. So i think, many users would be glad of such function.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Another scenario which you might like to consider. Sometimes I want to watch films in 5.1 and other times only in Stereo (maybe late at night or over headphones), so it would be nice to have a switch in MP to mixdown the 5.1 to stereo. I don't have a receiver and only use the analog outputs on my PC, so I can't switch output devices to achieve this.

Users who are viewing this thread