Audio Delay Option stuttering issue (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've thought about doing something like that, but I'd prefer to do something 'automatic' that would work for other decoders/renderers as well (just haven't thought of a way to do it yet ;))

@Eggert - attached is a new version of TsReader.ax, with automatic handling of the audio delay compensation - could you give it a try please ?

(No need to change any registry settings - just replace the current TsReader with it)

Attachments

• TsReader_v3_0_84_2.zip
      177.4 KB

Eggert

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2005
    Hi Owlsroost,

I have just made some short tests with the new TsReader.ax.
    Seems to work like a charme! :)

I will use this version in the future and post here if I find any issues.

Thank you,
    Eggert

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Sorry for jumping in here, but could this help on general a/v sync issues on liveTV?
    What sort of issues do you have ?
    I don't know about The_Stig, but I have noticed some audio sync issues with UK TV:

(1) The HD channels sometimes have sync issues, with the audio being ahead of the video. I use analogue audio output, with HDMI video output. I have not so far noticed any consistent behaviour with respect to channels or programmes (but I have not been making notes with the intention of spotting a pattern).

(2) Some SD recordings of "Law and Order" on channel "Five USA" (DVB-T) made earlier this year (and possibly using WMC, although I don't think that matters), had appalling audio sync in parts. On playback, they started off OK, and then the audio got progressively more out of step with the video. This is the only SD channel that I have noticed has problems, so perhaps these problems originate with the broadcaster. (I have since watched and deleted these recordings, so I cannot reproduce this problem.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Sorry for jumping in here, but could this help on general a/v sync issues on liveTV?
    I don't know about The_Stig, but I have noticed some audio sync issues with UK TV:

(1) The HD channels sometimes have sync issues, with the audio being ahead of the video. I use analogue audio output, with HDMI video output. I have not so far noticed any consistent behaviour with respect to channels or programmes (but I have not been making notes with the intention of spotting a pattern).

(2) Some SD recordings of "Law and Order" on channel "Five USA" (DVB-T) made earlier this year (and possibly using WMC, although I don't think that matters), had appalling audio sync in parts. On playback, they started off OK, and then the audio got progressively more out of step with the video. This is the only SD channel that I have noticed has problems, so perhaps these problems originate with the broadcaster. (I have since watched and deleted these recordings, so I cannot reproduce this problem.)

I run a very similar setup to you - UK Freeview/Freeview HD, Vista 32, GT430, analogue audio etc, but I don't have the TV A/V sync problems you mention. When it happens again attach the logs and I'll take a look.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hey Owslroost, thanks for your answer. To be honest, it's not that easy to track down. Since several month I am trying to find the reason for the following issue:

On LiveTV I have sync problems. It seems to be drifting away. The delay is on SD-channels not as huge as on HD-channels. No problems on Video-files. On HD-TV I mostly have to switch to -4 in osd for audio-delay (activated FFDshow Raw video filter). Guess this is -400ms?!?

What I tried so far: MPAR with all kind of settings, Default Sound Device, enabled und disabled Refreshratechanger. Nothing did help.

Weird thing is: yesterday I activated A/V-Sync on LAV Audio Filter (what I should not do according to perfect playback guide) and it seems pretty good so far. Although I couldn't test properly so far...

EDIT: My setup is HDMI for TV and SPDIF to old AV-Receiver.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I run a very similar setup to you - UK Freeview/Freeview HD, Vista 32, GT430, analogue audio etc, but I don't have the TV A/V sync problems you mention. When it happens again attach the logs and I'll take a look.
    Thanks. I will keep a record of occasions when the lag seems noticeable, and see if a pattern emerges. If I encounter any recordings with bad lag, I will move them to my test folder for possible investigation, instead of deleting them!

However, I wonder if the cause of the lag is the speed of the TV itself. My TV is a 32-inch Toshiba which I purchased in 2006 (so probably designed and manufactured in 2005). It may not be the speediest of TVs, so may exhibit the lag in situations where yours does not. But I guess that a slow TV would result in similar lag across all HD channels, but that is not the impression that I have got so far. For example, this afternoon "BBC News HD" was OK, whereas there seemed to be slight lag on "Channel 4+1 HD" (on the "15 to 1" game show).

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I think the 'safe' option for TV is to use LAV Audio Decoder with the 'Auto A/V Sync correction' enabled and use a standard audio renderer (not MPAR or ReClock).

The recommendation to disable 'Auto A/V Sync correction' in LAV is specifically when using it with MPAR (because it works against what MPAR is trying to do).

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Would a modern A/V Receiver possibly help to keep it in sync? So the connection would be HTPC->HDMI->A/V-Receiver->HDMI->TV? So both audio and video would go same way instead of now having a hdmi-connection from HTPC to TV and a SPDIF from HTPC to A/V-Receiver? Guess its getting a bit offtopic here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom