Audio pass-through and Volume Control (1 Viewer)

gpnash

Portal Pro
March 2, 2015
Linden, Michigan
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I had installed the Unicode version... uninstalled and did a custom install of the ANSI version.. still no joy. same behavior. on fullscreen right mouse starts up MP configuration.exe.

all of the pulse8 stuff looks the same.
since I use the tv and receiver when MP is not running I didn't have the turn off at exit.
But I did have the turn on on MP start and that works.

turn off tv and receiver... computer is running desktop would be showing if the tv/receiver were on. Press start and in 30 seconds or so MP starts and loads the plugins which turn on the tv and receiver.... that much works.

volume control still only moves the OSD volume control left and right varying the computer volume level NOT the receiver audio level.

Tried this both with the plugin set to HDMI 2 and connected-to: tv and set to HDMI 1 and connected-to: audio system (which is how it should have been)
because of the nature of CEC both settings work computer connects to receiver thru HDMI 1 and the receiver connects to the TV thru HDMI 2/ARC

btw... with Show OSD checked and hide windows OSD un-checked I get two volume OSDs so I'm going back to checking hide windows OSD.

Would the audio renderer have anything to do with this? Who's in charge of setting the volume when the keypress comes in?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    turn off tv and receiver... computer is running desktop would be showing if the tv/receiver were on. Press start and in 30 seconds or so MP starts and loads the plugins which turn on the tv and receiver.... that much works.

OK that is good so we know the CEC Remote/Pulse 8 Adapter setup can do something on the HDMI.

I had installed the Unicode version... uninstalled and did a custom install of the ANSI version.. still no joy. same behavior. on fullscreen right mouse starts up MP configuration.exe.

That is weird, does it actually start MP Config or does it just warn that MP has to be closed first? I'm not even sure what command available from the mappings could do that! @CyberSimian any ideas?

btw... with Show OSD checked and hide windows OSD un-checked I get two volume OSDs so I'm going back to checking hide windows OSD.
    That is also strange!

Would the audio renderer have anything to do with this?
    Not sure, I'm using LAV and Default Sound Device(Denon via AMD High Def. Audio) for everything, Not the MP Audio Renderer. What do you have?

gpnash

Portal Pro
    March 2, 2015
    Linden, Michigan
    Home Country
    MP Configuration is started and waits for you to click yes/no to stopping MP. Click yes MP ends and the configuration program form displays...

MP has, at least every version I've run, it's volume OSD and their has always been the windows OSD. I'm not sure when they added the Hide windows OSD but it was a nice touch. although the windows OSD would display whenever you pressed volume up/down regardless if the value changed. The MP OSD only displays if the bar changes size...pressing volume up when at full volume the OSD does not display. pressing down the OSD displays and shrinks the bar.

I'm also using LAV but have Default DirectSound device selected.

changed from Default DirectSound device to Denon-AVR (NVIDIA High Definition Audio) and it didn't make a difference.

Last edited:

gpnash

Portal Pro
    March 2, 2015
    Linden, Michigan
    Home Country
    Tv Remote changes the volume on the Denon without issue.
    The up/down/right/left and center buttons on the tv remote work to navigate MP menus
    The channel up/down buttons do not work the TV doesn't allow them because it's not in "tv" mode (it's displaying an HDMI source (the computer thru the denon))

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Curiouser ans curiouser:confused:.
    Tv Remote changes the volume on the Denon without issue.
    OK that is good to know but on mine it doesn't as I have the TV speakers disabled in the TV settings (it just reports that when I try) the navigation etc buttons still work for MP. I don't know if that is significant but with the Philips TV I have several options for the speakers on, off and CEC control, I choose off since I don't want anything out of the TVs speakers.
    If I uncheck the "use MP volume controls for HDMI" option in the CEC Remote plugin then I see the Windows or both sliders changing, if enabled, as the volume buttons are pressed, what comes out of the speakers also goes up or down although the volume setting at the AVR remains unchanged. Sorry to ask again but to double check is that the same for you?
    Also can you check the Advanced settings in the CEC Remote set up are as per the screenshot.
    I have included a shot showing volume change on mine just to proove it can work.:)
    adv.jpg20181130_172549-2.jpg

gpnash

Portal Pro
    March 2, 2015
    Linden, Michigan
    Home Country
    Annotation 2018-11-30 142129.jpg Annotation 2018-11-30 142257.jpg Annotation 2018-11-30 142317.jpg Annotation 2018-11-30 142404.jpg Annotation 2018-11-30 142553.jpg
    On my Samsung TV I have the speakers set to external
    Regardless of how "use MP volume controls for HDMI" is set my volume sliders (both windows and mp) change as I press volume up/down.
    The volume does go down and up to the limit that the receiver is set to, I cannot make the volume any louder, the receiver settings are not changing.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Your settings look good and I have to confess that I'm running out of ideas but:-

Regardless of how "use MP volume controls for HDMI" is set my volume sliders (both windows and mp) change as I press volume up/down.
    This is I think the crux of the problem. Even on my desktop which does not have a CEC adapter if I install the CEC Remote plugin and set it to control the HDMI volume it locks up both the MP and Windows sliders on 100% and they cannot be changed as long as MP is in focus (regardless of whether sound is selected for HDMI or analogue speakers). Bearing in mind that the VRC-1100 uses KB shortcuts so if MP is not in focus that 100% lock no longer is applied and the windows volume will change. For the same reason other utilities that respond to KB shortcuts can also intercept the remote buttons (Madvr can do this with its user control).
    Is there anything on your system that might be stealing focus or intercepting the remote button presses, Eventghost and or its VRC-1100 driver perhaps?
    BTW which skin are you using?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MP Configuration is started and waits for you to click yes/no to stopping MP.
    I'm not even sure what command available from the mappings could do that!
    This is a puzzle. :confused: The way that the AutoHotKey script works is that it intercepts RIGHT_MOUSE, and (if the mouse pointer is within an MP window) the script translates that button press to ALT_CTRL_SHIFT_F2. The XML file for the Centarea HID looks for ALT_CTRL_SHIFT_F2, and when it sees that combination, the Centarea HID invokes MP's internal "Show OSD" function (this is not a keystroke). So, if some other software is looking for and reacting to ALT_CTRL_SHIFT_F2, that might explain it (but this is rather tenuous).

One test to try: if your HTPC is displaying the Windows desktop and MP is not running, what happens when you press the START button on the Ortek remote control? If the AutoHotKey script is running correctly, MP should start (not "MP Config"). Does this happen?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

gpnash

Portal Pro
    March 2, 2015
    Linden, Michigan
    Home Country
    @CyberSimian my bad... mptray 0.0.0.4 was installed. It allowed the green button on the vrc-1100 to start MP. I've gotten rid of that so without AutoHotKey the start button beeps with AutoHotKey MP starts up when the green button is pressed.

I also had a couple of Logitech programs like unifying keyboard and setpoint installed to support my dell multimedia keyboard and my remote wireless keyboard.
    I've removed those and removed the dongle.

at this point in MP full screen tv the right mouse button still opens configuration.exe which prompts for you to exit MP.
    The volume down button moves the OSD slider all the way to the left with one press and the volume up slider moves the OSD slider all the way to the right.
    Neither action does anything with CEC.

I think the mptray 0.0.0.4 was the problem but I'm not sure why it continues after uninstall and reboot.. unless the uninstall didn't revert itself.

btw.. I'm using Titan 1.4.0.0 no eventghost. This tower's sole purpose is to be a TV/PVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom