Audio pass-through and Volume Control (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wow this is proving real interesting.:eek:
    I think the mptray 0.0.0.4 was the problem but I'm not sure why it continues after uninstall and reboot.. unless the uninstall didn't revert itself.
    From memory unchecking the box as per the attached sceenshot should disable the mptray 004 or any leftovers.

So, if some other software is looking for and reacting to ALT_CTRL_SHIFT_F2, that might explain it (but this is rather tenuous).
    Agreed but my concern was that something is intercepting the key press before it reaches MP as with the Record button (Cntrl+R) and Madvr.

@gpnash FYI I also have a Logitech dongle and the unifying KB program on my HTPC.
    tray.jpg

gpnash

Portal Pro
    March 2, 2015
    Linden, Michigan
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    ok.. I've got setpoint and the unifying software back installed..

@CyberSimian using AHK I've got an H in the tray.
    the remote behaves normally on Windows screens without MP running. right mouse on the remote brings up context menus where it should.

With MP running the right mouse button starts the MP configuration.exe program.
    I did a right mouse button on the H and found window spy. with the windows spy window open I started MP and selected a channel. MP is set to full screen, while watching tv I press the volume up/volume down window spy shows the active window as being MP. I still get the wrong behavior, the MP OSD displays when volume down is pressed and the slider moves to the left. If I press the right mouse button, window spy shows the active window as being MP and the MP configuration program starts and pops a dialog asking me to close MP (yes/no).

don't know if that helps or not but it seems there is something within MP that is causing this.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    mptray 0.0.0.4 was installed. It allowed the green button on the vrc-1100 to start MP.
    Interesting. I think that you are using an optional add-on that just happens to have the same name as an MP built-in capability. Distributed as part of the MP package is the following built-in capability (marked in red):

mptray_setting.jpg

If you enable this capability, it does not work with the Ortek remote control; it works only with the START button on a true Microsoft MCE RC6 remote control. This is one of the reasons for the creation of the AutoHotKey script (which allows the Ortek's START button to start MP).

I think that you might be using this add-on: MediaPortal Tray Launcher
    The description does not specifically mention the Ortek/Hama remote control, but it does say this:

MediaPortal Tray Launcher is a small utility that aims to allow MediaPortal users to launch it via the green Start button of their remote control. A utility designed for this purpose already comes with MediaPortal. However, the original utility is only compatible with remote controls specifically designed for Windows Media Center. MediaPortal Tray Launcher is for people who, like me, don't have such a remote control.

If you look at the source, you will see that it is... an AutoHotKey script :eek:. I believe that it is possible to "compile" AutoHotKey scripts into a standalone EXE file, and I think that this is what has been done here, but packaged as an MPE1 file. However, looking at the source I cannot see how it traps the START button from the Ortek, so that remains a puzzle. Would it affect the other buttons on the remote? I don't know.

The volume down button moves the OSD slider all the way to the left with one press and the volume up slider moves the OSD slider all the way to the right.
    Yes, I have had that happen, but I can't quite remember the circumstances. I think it occurs with certain types of digital audio output where MP cannot control the volume level -- possibly one (or more) of the digital multichannel formats. All MP can do is switch the audio on or off, but it cannot change the level. I have no experience of multichannel audio, as I use only stereo. @joecrow may be able to advise as I think that he uses multichannel audio.

I think the mptray 0.0.0.4 was the problem but I'm not sure why it continues after uninstall and reboot.
    If the built-in setting (shown in the screen shot above) is selected, the "MPTray" icon will still appear in the "Task Bar", so make sure that that setting is deselected.

at this point in MP full screen tv the right mouse button still opens configuration.exe which prompts for you to exit MP.
    Hmm, I still have no idea what might be happening here. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

gpnash

Portal Pro
    March 2, 2015
    Linden, Michigan
    Home Country
    mptray… yep, the built in one never worked for me. The old optional one has worked fine over the years, just had to remember to install it at every upgrade.
    Since AHK works and works for other things as well I've unchecked the mptray box and removed the software.

The volume OSD is back to sliding incremently left and right again as the volume down/up buttons are pushed.
    still no action across CEC.

right mouse button still misbehaves but only under MP.

I'm at a loss as well. Is there any tool that would start configuration.exe on a right-mouse button press?
    or any MP action that would cause configuration.exe to be started?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    If I press the right mouse button, window spy shows the active window as being MP and the MP configuration program starts and pops a dialog asking me to close MP (yes/no).
    All I can suggest at the moment is to check that you are using the most-recent version of the Centarea HID support pack (there are different versions available for download from different threads). The current version has a version date of 2016-12-09, available here:
    Vista MCE Remote Control VRC-1100

Also, during the development of these different versions, it became necessary to revise the interface between the AHK file and the XML file, which resulted in older versions of the XML file becoming slightly incompatible. In particular, it was necessary to re-allocate some of the button codes, so older XML files will not work correctly with the current AHK file for those particular buttons. The buttons where this occurred were:

BROWSER_HOME
    INFO
    START
    LEFT_MOUSE
    RIGHT_MOUSE
    ALT_ENTER

If you had already customised the XML file before you installed the support pack, you may have decided to use your old XML file with the current AHK file. If this is the case, rename your old XML file and use instead the XML file supplied in the support pack. If this causes the problem to disappear, we will know the cause, and what to fix (the XML file!).

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Is there any tool that would start configuration.exe on a right-mouse button press? or any MP action that would cause configuration.exe to be started?
    I have just been looking at the MP functions that you can assign to buttons on the remote by using the "Mapping" dialogue in "MP Config". I thought that there might be a function that would close MP and start "MP Config", and perhaps it was being invoked by mistake. Unfortunately, I cannot find any such function amongst those listed. :(

I have also looked in the AHK file, and there is no invocation of "Configuration.exe". :(

gpnash

Portal Pro
    March 2, 2015
    Linden, Michigan
    Home Country
    I followed thru all of the postings in that thread until I found the last download link. So I've got the latest one.

it downloads as 283416_centarea_hid.zip. The instructions say to copy that so I didn't rename it.
    unzipped it and ran the ahk file there. I've never used AHK before so there's no old one to worry about.
    the only centarea hid.xml I find is in the program files(x86) … area none in the programdata area.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Good news! I have managed to reproduce your problem. :)

the only centarea hid.xml I find is in the program files(x86) … area none in the programdata area.
    The copy of the XML file in the "Program Files" tree is the default one that is shipped with MP. It is the one that should be used if you are not using the AHK script. It is not compatible with the AHK script because that XML file uses the old button codes. I think that this is the file that is being used on your system and causing your problem.

unzipped it and ran the ahk file there.
    The ZIP file needs to be placed in the folder "InputDeviceMappings" in the "ProgramData" tree, and unzipped there. MP uses the XML file in this folder in preference to the one in "Program Files". This is what the folder should contain after unzipping the ZIP file (note the location of the folder):

folder_contents.jpg

The folder "InputDeviceMappings" does not exist initially, but MP creates it if you modify the remote's config file by using the "Mappings" dialogue on the "Sceneo" tab in "MP Config". So initially you will need to create this folder manually, copy the ZIP file there, unzip the ZIP file, and then run INSTALL.BAT to place a shortcut for the AHK script in the "Startup" folder.

I am not convinced that the AHK file adds any value for you, and you may prefer not to bother with it. That is a valid choice. If you want to pursue this route, you should:

(1) Delete the folder "InputDeviceMappings".
    (2) Delete the shortcut (if there is one) in the "Startup" folder.
    (3) Enable "Map mouse clicks to OK and INFO buttons" (this will make the INFO button behave as expected).
    (4) Re-install the "MP Tray" utility that you were using previously.

This should give you a usable setup, and you can customise the remote by using the "Mappings" dialogue in "MP Config". The AHK script does not offer any CEC support, so there is no particular reason to use the AHK file if your previous setup worked as you wanted.

gpnash

Portal Pro
    March 2, 2015
    Linden, Michigan
    Home Country
    ok... I feel like an idiot.
    Put it down to me being on the wrong side of the pond.

the instructions say to download the package and put the zip file in ..\inputdevicemappings and then to unzip the file and leave it there.
    unzipping the package produces a folder by the same name as the zip file so... the files were left inside the 283416_centarea hid folder.
    If you mention in your directions to download the zip file and extract the files. the move the files from the extracted folder to \inputdevicemappings it may be more clear.
    once I copied the files from the folder to the inputdevicemappings folder EVERYTHING WORKS!

Thank you @CyberSimian and you @joecrow for your patience and time.
    For the first time since v 1.7 MP is working the way I want it. the remote volume control controls the stereo and the right mouse button pulls up the context menus....

thanks again for your effort above and beyond the call of duty.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Super, very pleased you got it working.:)(y)(y)

BTW I had a play with the MP Tray 004, I used to use it for the green button start on my HTPC before the AHK script from @CyberSimian and still had a copy in my download folder. It installed without problems on my Desktop PC (no AHK-not an admin account) and it worked fine with no apparent ill effects but as you noticed getting rid of it is something else. Uninstalled it in MPEM ok but still running in tray, right click and exit gone, but comes back again after a reboot. Unchecking the box in "Additional 3rd Party Checks" seems to be the only way of suppressing it short of a new MP install I assume. Oh well it has it uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom