[Question] Authentication only for Internet Access? (1 Viewer)

Franzkovic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 21, 2009
    Hi,

is it possible to have authentication only for clients connecting over the internet?

I would like clients from the local net not having to enter username and password because I am using mpextended direct stream urls in my dvbip card. This is not working if authentication is activated.

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Franzkovic,

Assuming you mean MPExtended (as oppose to WebMediaPortal) you could disable authentication for the service then access externally via IIS or Apache using a virtual proxy that requires authentication ( I have this setup myself).

There are implications to doing this as some MPE functions return a URL which is built using the incoming request, but you can get around that with a reverse rewrite rule.

Franzkovic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 21, 2009
    Hi,

thank you for this suggestion. However it sounds rather complicated to me :( ... would be cool if the developper could implement something like an ip address range where no authentication is needed.

In the meantime I thought maybe I could just install mpextended+webmediaportal a 2nd time on a different port to have one open and one closed. Did not work though.

TracyEtheridge

Banned Users
    May 15, 2014
    United States
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi. I don't think that it is complicated because the solution form Mr techno is so simple if you see that there is so simple steps to done the authentication only for the internet access. Thanks :)

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Franzkovic,

Assuming you mean MPExtended (as oppose to WebMediaPortal) you could disable authentication for the service then access externally via IIS or Apache using a virtual proxy that requires authentication ( I have this setup myself).

There are implications to doing this as some MPE functions return a URL which is built using the incoming request, but you can get around that with a reverse rewrite rule.
    @MrTechno Can you post your iis rewrite rules please?
    While i have no problem to access WebMediaPortal, the flash player doesn't work for me.
    And also with some skins (Bootstrap and Blueshift) the lazyload images don't load.

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks, but it doesn't work for me.
    Here is my rewrite rule. Must be a problem in the outbound rule.

XML:
        <system.webServer>
            <rewrite>
                <rules>
                    <rule name="ReverseProxyInboundRule1" enabled="true" stopProcessing="false">
                        <match url="(.*)" />
                        <conditions>
                            <add input="{CACHE_URL}" pattern="^(https?)://" />
                        </conditions>
                        <action type="Rewrite" url="http://192.168.0.3:53426/{R:1}" />
                        <serverVariables>
                            <set name="HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING" value="" />
                        </serverVariables>
                    </rule>
                </rules>
                <outboundRules>
                    <rule name="ReverseProxyOutboundRule1" preCondition="">
                        <match filterByTags="A, Area, Base, Form, Frame, Head, IFrame, Img, Input, Link, Script" pattern="^http(s)?://192.168.0.3:53426/(.*)" />
                        <action type="Rewrite" value="/webmediaportal/{R:2}" />
                    </rule>
                    <rule name="RewriteRelativePaths" preCondition="ResponseIsHtml1">
                        <match filterByTags="A, Area, Base, Form, Frame, Head, IFrame, Img, Input, Link, Script" pattern="^/(.*)" negate="false" />
                        <action type="Rewrite" value="/webmediaportal/{R:1}" />
                    </rule>
                </outboundRules>
            </rewrite>
            <directoryBrowse enabled="false" />
            <urlCompression doStaticCompression="false" />
        </system.webServer>

MPExtended and WebMediaPortal are on a different pc than iis server, that's why i need rewrite rules.

Last edited:

pünktchen

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And than set it for multiseat? Good idea. Will try it...

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    And than set it for multiseat? Good idea. Will try it...

That's the idea yes. Since you've got an IIS running anyway there's no need to use a passthrough to do IIS (virtual) -> IIS Express (WebMP) -> MPExtended when you could just do IIS (WebMP) -> MPExtended

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom