Automated Artist / Album Scraping (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shangostar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Somerset
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Seems to have worked fairly well for me though it has picked up a few incorrect ones
    Can you let me have some examples please

I'd like the option to have an interface of some sort where you can manually scrape rather than every time MP is started
    Remember that this will only scrape for missing details. I will also tie this into music database events so if you scan within MP this will prompt a new scan. Adding a UI is a bit of a pain and not sure it is worth the time ?? anyone else think this?

and be able to view and edit/delete current entries and maybe the option to choose when multiple entries are found.
    Not sure I want to spent a large amount of time developing something that will end up having to be re-done when I implement some better scraping mechanism. The existing artist info page is pretty crap at showing info but I would end up having to re-implement that in order to do something like this and that is quite a lot of effort.

Multiple items again is a fairly massive thing that is actually not as useful as you might think. Based on my experiments most the stuff that could not be matched is because of difference between my tags and allmusic.com rather than duplicates. (this now silently copes with many duplicates in many circumstances).

I could do with a list of things that are not picked up to help do some analysis here.

I will post something up later that should produce a list of missing items so I can do some more digging

none of these are things i would have expected at all soon, it's just a direction i would like to see it take in the future but if the work involed in getting it done out weighs the use it would get then it's obviously not worth it.

off top of my head, one i remember it got wrong was a band called 'Gun' it added bio for Guns and Roses

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Logs for missing artists/albums

Thought it wasn't working at first, it can take a while to go through my music.

Attachments

• missing_artists.txt
      2.3 KB
    • missing_albums.txt
      13.1 KB

Baron of L/S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2009
    Gippsland Lakes
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Used the MPEI version and all looks ok, a lot missing but that's probably my old music ('60s R&R);)
    I do not get an indication that it is scraping, should I?
    :D for your efforts

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    off top of my head, one i remember it got wrong was a band called 'Gun' it added bio for Guns and Roses

I will check later but I don't think Gun could have been scraped by this plugin.

There are only two attempts to grab atrtists.

First off it sees if allmusic.com goes direct to artist page
    Code:
    http://allmusic.com/search/artist/gun/filter:pop
    goes to a search list rather than an album page so would not be picked up there

The second check goes through the list and if there is only one artist matching with the same name with years active then it picks that. For Gun there are two search results with years active so should not have been picked up there either :confused:

Will do some testing but I think this might not be down to this plugin.

Would appreciate more examples where people have got incorrect matches though

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Used the MPEI version and all looks ok, a lot missing but that's probably my old music ('60s R&R);)
    Have you tried manually on allmusic.com??

If you go to
    Code:
    http://allmusic.com/search/artist/[b]artist[/b]/filter:pop
    You should be able to see what is there. If There are multiple rows does more than one of them have a years active field

If you are talking about albums it then goes from the artist screen (based on album artist) then checks the main albums tab and then the compilations tab. I have found that some albums are simply not listed

I do not get an indication that it is scraping, should I?
    No, it just runs silently in the background

ysmp

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 17, 2008
    Seoul.
    Home Country
    South Korea South Korea
    Hi jameson_uk !
    1-Log for missing artists ....work wall abut 20% not find, and we can scrachout Variuos Artists.... :)
    2-abut albums mach mach more not find .... but i realse it's do to my taging way ....not scraper..

this time the scraping time was rally slow comper to other versions.

:D

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    this time the scraping time was rally slow comper to other versions.
    No reason why it should be particularly any slower (although the adding to lists to gather the missing lists may take up lots of memory and slow things down)

You can fix quite a few of your artists by fixing your tags ;)

Code:
    Led Zeplin => Led Zep[B]p[/B]lin
    Beatles => The Beatles
    Rolling Stones => The Rolling Stones
    The Eagles => Eagles
    Elvis Costello and the Attractions => Elvis Costello & the Attractions

These can obviously be fixed by tags but I am wondering whether I should add a test for matches after removing "The" and also replacing & and + with and. This would match some of these automatically. I will see if I have time tonight

ysmp

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 17, 2008
    Seoul.
    Home Country
    South Korea South Korea
    You can fix quite a few of your artists by fixing your tags ;)

Code:
    Led Zeplin => Led Zep[B]p[/B]lin
    Beatles => The Beatles
    Rolling Stones => The Rolling Stones
    The Eagles => Eagles
    Elvis Costello and the Attractions => Elvis Costello & the Attractions

These can obviously be fixed by tags but I am wondering whether I should add a test for matches after removing "The" and also replacing & and + with and. This would match some of these automatically. I will see if I have time tonight

yes, you corect ,tag problem , after i post i go and check some of the artist and then i see name tag not all time mach the allmusic web ....:)

i need find time to corect name tag , at list with the error list of missing artists mach faster to fix the wrong one ...:)

:D

Lbr_Lion

Extension Designer
    July 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Please find attached the logs for missing artists and albums.

Did not find wrong matches (till now), but noticed that the album year is always 0.

Attachments

• missing_albums.txt
      3.4 KB
    • missing_artists.txt
      423 bytes

Baron of L/S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2009
    Gippsland Lakes
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    These can obviously be fixed by tags but I am wondering whether I should add a test for matches after removing "The" and also replacing & and + with and. This would match some of these automatically. I will see if I have time tonight[/QUOTE]

That would be great, saves altering "and" to "&", this was why I missed a lot. Will keep testing:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom