Automatic Refreshrate Changer (3 Viewers)

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I think ur problem might be related to the fact that u r using tve2 right ?
    aka "the internal old tv engine" ...

This is untested by me atleast.

/gibman

Done! Just to make sure I'm doing it right, here's what I did:

1. Switched to 24Hz refresh rate
    2. Started Watchdog
    3. Cleared old log files
    4. Started MP
    5. Entered My TV (TV starts automatically)
    6. Exited MyTV
    7. Exited Mediaportal
    8. Compiled the log files

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yeah, that may be it. Hasn't anyone else in the thread got it working with the "old TV engine"? I have no good reason to hold on to the old version really. I tried the new one at one occasion but I never figured out how to configure all the stuff it depended on. Never got past the installation and config :) Maybe I will have to give it another try.

5Hundred

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I noticed with the latest SVN and version of this plugin that it does not always revert back to the default HZ if you let a video reach the end and close itself, if you press stop then it always reverts back to the default HZ, its as if the plugin doesn't spot that the video has finished if it reaches the end and closes itself. Does anyone else have this problem?

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    try this for tve2 ;

5Hundred:
    the refreshrate is put back to default on the call to the "g_player.stop" method, try and look through mp.log and see if u get this method call logged even ?

/gibman

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    gibman, any ideas what I could try next?

All combinations of use_default_hz and devicereset give me some problems :/

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    did u try the above attachment for the old tv engine ?

/gibman

I'm not using old TV-engine :)

I. System specs

- Mediaportal & TV-Server RC2 SVN 20268
    - ATI Radeon HD 4850
    - Catalyst 8.7
    - RefreshRateChanger_0.3.zip

like I posted before

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    gibman - Have you thought about making this a little more generic; duno how this will fit into your code, but here goes. (perhaps make it a plugin)

Using your existing code I am able to sneak in a few home automation tasks as well. So when a media starts to play I call a script and that script in turn both sets the refresh rate and sets a command to turn the lights down into movie mode! When finished playing the default action then sets the refresh rate back to MP mode and calls a script which turns the lights back up.

If your new function simply called an external script and passed it parameters we could handle more situations.
    How about calling a generic script on events like play, pause, stop and pass it fps and resolution; this way that external script could do a bit more HA stuff and also do the resetting of FPS on the projector.

For me I also like to set the screen size to match the movie, ie set 1080P24, 720P60, etc..... so the passing of the resolution along with the fps would be very useful.

There's already a plugin that handles light on start/stop/pause video, called Tellstick Pause but it's only for Tellstick hardware. You wouldn't wanna turn the light on/off if just playing a sample or there's daylight outside. Tellstick handles all this. Perhaps you should join projects? :)

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Rather than using ATI's CCC for switching refresh rates, I decided to give PowerStrip a try. In order to get the right timing strings for PowerStrip, I used a combination of ATI's CCC and Powerstrip, such that for each refresh rate I was able to copy the timing string for use with the refresh rate changer plugin. Then did a test, and all the refresh rate switching is done perfectly well, and as stated earlier in this thread, the switching is much smoother because a device reset is not required. However, the issue with PowerStrip is that I don't have sound when I switch from 50Hz to 24Hz. Also, if I switch to 24Hz using ATI's CCC, and then to 50Hz using PowerStrip, the sound is played at a much higher pitch. Just to clarify, I am using the 3450's onboard audio in combination with the DVI to HDMI dongle, connected to my lcd tv. I had a look on the PowerStrip forum, and found this topic: EnTech Taiwan :: View topic - ATI 4850 custom resolution works but loses HDMI sound, which seems to be the issue I'm experiencing. Unfortunately using my motherboard's sound card isn't a solution, because of the processing delay on my lcd TV, which would mean the audio and video would be out of sync. I did find a DVI Audio to HDMI adapter, but it is rather costly! So, it seems I'm stuck with ATI's CCC, unless somebody has a solution for the PowerStrip sound issue?

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    gibman: Awesome! :) Today I reinstalled MP using TV Server instead of the old TV engine, and now RR change works when I enter My TV! Only a few new problems now:

1. When I enter My TV I get an error message, saying "<TV channel name> Unable to start timeshifting, No video/audio detected". I click OK, go to the little TV "screen" at the opening page, and click "OK" on it. Then the channel starts displaying as normal. I logged this and I'm enclosing the file below.

2. Today I tried starting a video file which I had previously been viewing. Therefore I wanted to resume where I had stopped before. I was at 50Hz and by starting the file I was supposed to go to 24Hz. The refresh rate changed as it should, but the video started playing from the beginning. Is the file actually started twice with this plugin, one time when you click it and then again after the RR change? That would explain this. Bit hard to avoid then I guess.

Anyway, thanks for helping! Great to see a thread on this forum with some real action in it! :)

AberDino: A bit OT: if the only problem you're having when using the MB:s inbuilt sound is with the sound becoming out of sync, I suggest trying AC3Filter. It makes it really easy to set a delay (or hastening) of the sound relative to the video. Then again I myself am thinking about ditching my Nvidia card in favour of a ATI HD4870, so I don't like to hear about problems with using these cards for media purposes. One really good thing with using HDMI for both video and audio can be perfect sync without the need for special solutions, so..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom