Automatic Refreshrate Changer (4 Viewers)

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    gibman, have tried the devicereset 'no' option (I now also set the use_default_hz option to 'no' to prevent unnecessary switching), and the directx error has disappeared. However, it seems it is still not switching correctly. Before starting MP, I manually load the CCC "1080p50" profile. Then in MP I play a 24Hz video clip, and it seems like it is switching to "1080p24", but it isn't. Instead, it seems to reset to the default 60Hz refresh rate. When I open CCC after exiting MP, the refresh rate is indeed 60Hz. I've attached the log file.

Also, as you can see from my previous post, I've tried the PowerStrip option, and that switches correctly, but the problem there is that I loose the ATI graphics card onboard audio (HDMI). Apparently, CCC needs to know the refresh rate to correctly 'package' the audio with the video, and when switching with PowerStrip, CCC isn't aware of the refresh rate change. There might be workarounds for this using the motherboard's onboard audio (thanks Seeco), but I would prefer to keep audio+video combined on the HDMI connection to my LCD TV.

wod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    "Must have" feature

Thanks gibman!
    I use your Automatic Resolution Changer with mhunter recommended Display Changer and without "devicereset" option. Work great! I think this feature should be included into SVN.

:D

eXDee

Portal Pro
    February 20, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sorry if i haven't read the thread, but i'm wondering about this since it seems so popular.

Currently im connected to our Sony D Bravia (1366x768) via the DSub VGA connection, and im running at 60hz. Videos (Mainly XVid, some H264, some PAL some NTSC sources)and TV (h264 HD) seem to look okay.
    I Tried to set to 50hz (seemed appropriate for a PAL country) forced in Nvidia control panel but it doesn't seem to work.

Is there any reason why i should be using this? What about if i was using HDMI instead?
    Lastly, if i did do this would i notice a flicker, pause, blur or black screen in the few seconds that it switched?
    Sorry for any ignorance.

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2005
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    eXDee I dont think that your TV will do 1366x768@50HZ, try setting the resolution to 1280x720 and try 50HZ. For our PAL broadcasts you need 50HZ otherwise tickertapes e.g. during the weather or the V8's appear to stutter slightly.

I use an HDMI cable i think this allows different settings and refresh rates when compared top the VGA but not 100% sure on that.

I use a "resolution within a resolution" as my Bravia overscans quite a bit wioth the 1280x720 setting, so with CCC i set a res of 1230 x 692 inside the 1280 x 720, this means i can see all of the desktop and get 50 HZ viewing. Although this is not 1x1 pixelmapping i cannot tell the difference from 10 feet when viewing video or pictures (Eli Stone looks great!)

I use this great plugin to enable the resolution and refresh rate to switch to a 24fps setting to watch material recorded at that rate without any stutter. It had crossed my mind to have it so that the TV ran at 1366 x 768 and then changed to 1280x720 to watch TV and revert back to 1366 x 768 at the end of the show. However using CCC i get quite a flicker when changing resl\olutions and didn't fancy this every time i watch TV, so my default remains 1280 x 720 (1230 x692) @ 50 hz.

If you use it correctly there is a note in the logs and also your TV will report a change from 720p to something else most likely

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    gibman: Did you get a chance to look at my last log?

Did u see the last attachment I published ?
    There was a fix for old TV engine users like u.
    So it should now also work on tve2.

It's untested by me, since I am only using tvserver.

If u have problems using tve3 then plz create a new thread for this.

/gibman

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks gibman!
    I use your Automatic Resolution Changer with mhunter recommended Display Changer and without "devicereset" option. Work great! I think this feature should be included into SVN.

:D

Long story short: Display Changer solved all my problems that I had with ATI profiles (now using devicereset=no).

So, I wouldn't recommend using ATI profiles..

psykoman

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2006
    Graz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hello guys,

thanks gibman for this wonderful extension! Was looking for something similar since I bought my HTPC a year ago.
    I'm using RC2 with 20268 SVN. I used the ATI profiles, because I have absolutely no problems with the ATI drivers, and I don't mind the blackscreen while switching refresh rate. Profiles are 1080/24p for cinema, 720/50p for TV/PAL and 720/60p for NTSC, default is 720/50p.
    Resolution/Hz is beeing switchted without any problems, but somtimes after a switch to 1080/24p (and only with this profile) the starting movie is getting minimized to the small preview version from fullscreen, but it plays. If I start a second time, the movie starts fullscreen. Files are mkv@720/1080/23.976fps

Thx in advance!
    Geri

skvortsov

Portal Member
    February 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    on some 24p HD rips MP gets minimised after starting playback. as I can see refresh rate is changed before MP minimises. After restoring MP window playback appears to be stopped.
    what could be a problem?

and one more thing: after refresh rate changed playback always starts from the begining of the movie even if i have chosen to continue playing from last position

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom