Automatically download the latest CVS | Page 2

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1 Talk' started by wertzui, February 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khris

Khris Portal Pro

IT Geek
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    You seem to be able to understand English.....and the instructions on the CVS page regarding installation are in English as well so I don't see how someone needs to understand all the languages in the world.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Khris

Khris Portal Pro

IT Geek
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    Well put! :D

4. wertzui
    • Premium Supporter

wertzui Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    sorry, i thought that some users who download the cvs every day would save some time with this.
    as said the tool was not intended for everyone because a cvs can have bugs and may be unstable.

i have taken the download of this tool down and appologise for any more traffic my tool has caused (hope it was not too much, because only 27 people have downloaded it).

wertzui

5. ASiDiE
    • Premium Supporter

ASiDiE Retired Team Member

Computer Tek/Tester for MP
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    There are some very good points in this post. Bandwidth is a huge issue and can get very expensive. Even though I think this program (GETCVS) is great, I am going to discontinue use of this product. Right now I am really only looking for added features that I use or bug fixes that relate to me.

6. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

elliottmc Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Am I reading more into what you have written? You appear to be saying that you are going to stop using MediaPortal because you can no longer get immediate access to fixes in CVS.

I have just re-installed RC2, and it seems a lot more stable than the latest CVS. I suspect that this is partly due to me installing one CVS over another. Perhaps we all need to be a bit patient. On the other hand, CVS is important since it allows users to test features and report bugs.

Let's hope that CVS is back online soon. What about decreasing the frequency of CVS releases (one per day is enough surely for most people)? However, if there is no new release until 0.2.0 final, then we can't really complain. It's free, so let's not take liberties with the developers.

Mark

7. ASiDiE
    • Premium Supporter

ASiDiE Retired Team Member

Computer Tek/Tester for MP
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    WHAT?!?! Stop using Media Portal??? are you out of your MIND! hehe. No, I was talking about GetCVS. Because of the bandwidth issue, I can download CVS updates when I need them. I really don't need them every day, so downloading the same file everyday would be a waste.

8. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

elliottmc Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Phew. Misunderstood you there! Sorry!

Mark

9. tkortell

tkortell Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Finland Finland
    You must have misunderstood me dear Khris. I was talking about the page were you can download the program that wertzui made...

R / tk

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Portal Member

Software Developer
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bandwidth is obviously a big issue here, so one solution could be to reduce the size of the CVS downloads. How? Well, this kind of depends on how long off the 0.2.0.0 final release is.

If the final release is still quite a long way off, perhaps an RC3 would be appropriate. The CVS downloads would then be based off that release, and would decrease in size quite considerably. I have noticed that the fairly recent addition of Raven's Razor skin has added almost 5 meg to each CVS download - that's a lot of bandwidth!

I don't want to pressure the developers into releasing the final 0.2.0.0, or asking for a date, but if this affects people like high who end up paying for the bandwidth because of the excellent service they provide, please consider an RC3 if 0.2.0.0 final is still a way off.

Alternatively, BitTorrent for the CVS downloads? Would help spread the bandwidth.

11. FlipGer
    • Premium Supporter

FlipGer Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!