Automatically download the latest CVS (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
tkortell said:
btw, the download page of the GetCVS was not so user friendly (if you don't understand all the languages in the world).

You seem to be able to understand English.....and the instructions on the CVS page regarding installation are in English as well so I don't see how someone needs to understand all the languages in the world.

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
LordMessi said:
This is just sad....some people just want it all - what's next? Opening the refrigiator, when you're hungry? Opening a coke, when you're thirsty?

Come on....how hard can it be to download the cvs, and unpack it yourself...

Look at what high wrote to civikdude - no one seems to have seen this:

About the "automatic" downloading from myshare.de in general:
The idea is great, always the newest version without any work for users. But you forgot something about it...the traffic. At the moment we have 61GB only this month until today (with ~15-20% more each month) and for sure you dont get that for free. So I need some banner-clicks to get this paid and I dont get any with lots of users just downloading via plugins, scripts or whatever.

Its pretty easy to grab via script cause the filename always starts the same way. You can write one for yourself but if I see any in public I will change the way users can download. Hope you understand my position.

thx
high

PS: if someone is willing to sponsor a FTP-Server for free with ~150GB Traffic I might change my mind...

and this is now, what have happened!

High are currently changing the way users download the CVS's - so much work!!!

I'm not a fan of the users developing or using this kind of tool, and it might cause serious damage in the future. What would you all do, if high just said:

I won't pay the traffic anymore, and I won't compile the cvs's no more....then You are on your own!

Well - you are welcome to pay the traffic, if you want to!? Perhaps we should send the bill to wertzui ??

Yes - this message was intended to be rude!

End of post!!!!!!!!!!!

Well put! :D

wertzui

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 2, 2005
    sorry, i thought that some users who download the cvs every day would save some time with this.
    as said the tool was not intended for everyone because a cvs can have bugs and may be unstable.

i have taken the download of this tool down and appologise for any more traffic my tool has caused (hope it was not too much, because only 27 people have downloaded it).

wertzui

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    There are some very good points in this post. Bandwidth is a huge issue and can get very expensive. Even though I think this program (GETCVS) is great, I am going to discontinue use of this product. Right now I am really only looking for added features that I use or bug fixes that relate to me.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ASiDiE said:
    There are some very good points in this post. Bandwidth is a huge issue and can get very expensive. Even though I think this program is great, I am going to discontinue use of this product. Right now I am really only looking for added features that I use or bug fixes that relate to me.

Am I reading more into what you have written? You appear to be saying that you are going to stop using MediaPortal because you can no longer get immediate access to fixes in CVS.

I have just re-installed RC2, and it seems a lot more stable than the latest CVS. I suspect that this is partly due to me installing one CVS over another. Perhaps we all need to be a bit patient. On the other hand, CVS is important since it allows users to test features and report bugs.

Let's hope that CVS is back online soon. What about decreasing the frequency of CVS releases (one per day is enough surely for most people)? However, if there is no new release until 0.2.0 final, then we can't really complain. It's free, so let's not take liberties with the developers.

Mark

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    WHAT?!?! Stop using Media Portal??? are you out of your MIND! hehe. No, I was talking about GetCVS. Because of the bandwidth issue, I can download CVS updates when I need them. I really don't need them every day, so downloading the same file everyday would be a waste.

tkortell

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2005
    Vaasa / Sulva
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Khris said:
    tkortell said:
    btw, the download page of the GetCVS was not so user friendly (if you don't understand all the languages in the world).

You seem to be able to understand English.....and the instructions on the CVS page regarding installation are in English as well so I don't see how someone needs to understand all the languages in the world.

You must have misunderstood me dear Khris. I was talking about the page were you can download the program that wertzui made...

R / tk

daveyboy

Portal Member
    March 15, 2005
    Reading, England
    Bandwidth is obviously a big issue here, so one solution could be to reduce the size of the CVS downloads. How? Well, this kind of depends on how long off the 0.2.0.0 final release is.

If the final release is still quite a long way off, perhaps an RC3 would be appropriate. The CVS downloads would then be based off that release, and would decrease in size quite considerably. I have noticed that the fairly recent addition of Raven's Razor skin has added almost 5 meg to each CVS download - that's a lot of bandwidth!

I don't want to pressure the developers into releasing the final 0.2.0.0, or asking for a date, but if this affects people like high who end up paying for the bandwidth because of the excellent service they provide, please consider an RC3 if 0.2.0.0 final is still a way off.

Alternatively, BitTorrent for the CVS downloads? Would help spread the bandwidth.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom