"Automatically retrieve movie data in the English language" not working (1 Viewer)

gurabli

Portal Pro
July 20, 2010
Home Country
Hungary Hungary
I'm having a real problem to set up Moving Pictures and IMDB+ to get the English titles and not the Hungarian ones. Could you please help me how should I adjust Moving Pictures and IMDB+ to have English titles for all movies? It is so irritating to have Hungarian titles.
It worked fine before, now when I updated to 1.3.0 here comes the problems.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I'm having a real problem to set up Moving Pictures and IMDB+ to get the English titles and not the Hungarian ones. Could you please help me how should I adjust Moving Pictures and IMDB+ to have English titles for all movies? It is so irritating to have Hungarian titles.
    It worked fine before, now when I updated to 1.3.0 here comes the problems.

Please provide me with a copy of your IMDb+ settings XML file.

Start (button/screen) -> All Programs -> Team Media Portal -> Media Portal -> "User Files" link -> "IMDb+" folder -> "Options IMDb+ Scraper.xml"

It is probably a conflict in settings, for example the "Original" title option is confusing now with the changes IMDb made to their website, because it applies to how USA users see the website (the original title is then used for foreign movie titles). Possibly you also adjusted the advanced settings.

You could also delete/rename that XML file, open IMDb+ GUI options (it will recreate the file then) and see if it works then.

gurabli

Portal Pro
    July 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Please provide me with a copy of your IMDb+ settings XML file.

Start (button/screen) -> All Programs -> Team Media Portal -> Media Portal -> "User Files" link -> "IMDb+" folder -> "Options IMDb+ Scraper.xml"

It is probably a conflict in settings, for example the "Original" title option is confusing now with the changes IMDb made to their website, because it applies to how USA users see the website (the original title is then used for foreign movie titles). Possibly you also adjusted the advanced settings.

You could also delete/rename that XML file, open IMDb+ GUI options (it will recreate the file then) and see if it works then.

Thanks RoChess for your help! I will try to delete the XML file and see if it solves the problem.
    Do you need the current xml file or should I send you the new one if it doesn't work, since you are correct, I did changed many options in the settings now, so best to start from clean.

Are there any special settings or steps I should do in Moving Pictures or leave everything on default?
    What settings should be turned on or off if I want to have my movie titles displayed in English and not in Hungarian (I'm in Hungary, but I have MePo set to US English)

Many thanks!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Are there any special settings or steps I should do in Moving Pictures or leave everything on default?

Default settings should give you what you want.

The settings that you can look at are:

Rating -- by default it will do an average calculation of IMDb + MetaCritics + RottenTomatoes.. for speed reasons you could settle on just IMDb or MetaCritics ratings as it will skip retrieval of RottenTomatoes info (this however also disables other benefits such as backup for missing summary/tagline/runtime/etc, and the average rating is a much better indication if a movie is good or not)

Title display -- "English title", "Original Title", "English Title (Original Title)" or "Original Title (English Title)"... this unfortunatly only works 100% for USA users due to IMDb doing their translation of titles. It will work for a lot of other users as well (depends on level of translation done by IMDb), but even a UK user will expect some weird behaviour such as 2x English title.

MPAA rating -- default is USA MPAA (PG/PG-13/R/etc), but you might prefer some of the other ratings, such as UK one (12/15/18/etc).

What you really want to leave along right now are the advanced settings as they really can mess things up with the new IMDb title display system, and not touch the original title setting if you do not have to use it. I'm working on a whole new system to detect the language of the title that IMDb uses, but that will take time.

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    I also have problems with titles. Most of the movies are in English, but some of them are in Slovenian (my native language).

I have tried both default Moving Pictures scraper (with English selected) and IMDB+ (I tried both default settings and with "Use original titles" enabled), but problem is exactly the same

Any idea how could I fix it?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I have tried both default Moving Pictures scraper (with English selected) and IMDB+ (I tried both default settings and with "Use original titles" enabled), but problem is exactly the same

For IMDb+ it has been fixed and should work with all titles in English, if you do not activate options such as original title (as this undoes the detection for foreign users), but you can also not use the UK-English title option in some cases, or the British ratings.

It could be that a new bug crept into IMDb+, which I can usually fix within minutes and which will be automatically distributed/updated via IMDb+ plugin, but please post those questions on the IMDb+ forum thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom