[confirm] AverMedia AVerTV Hybrid Volar MAX H826 does not tune ATSC channels (1 Viewer)

caveman69

Portal Member
November 20, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have AverMedia AVerTV Hybrid Volar MAX H826 ATSC USB card. I am running Vista Business 32 bit SP2 and MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC-1 rev25080. Both ATSC and analog NTSC tuners are recognized in TV Server, but neither ATSC OTA or clear QAM channels are found.

If Generic Provider is selected, then scanning for ATSC OTA channels results in BSOD telling that bdasup.sys is causing the error.

When I switch preferred network provider to ATSC, there is no crash during the scan, but none of the ATSC channels are found.

It seems that ATSC channels are simply skipped during the scan. The whole scan process takes just few seconds. Normally it would take several minutes on another XP machine with older version of MP.

This particular card finds ATSC OTA, clear QAM and analog NTSC cable channels just fine when used with the original AverMedia software.

I also tested this card on Vista Ultimate 64 with WMC - it works fine and finds both ATSC and analog channels.

This card also used to tune to clear QAM channels with 0.2.3.0 version of MP on XP Pro 32 SP3 machine.

Similar problems with other ATSC cards were discussed in several threads:

AverMedia M780 + OTA ATSC help!
ATSC Card Owners: Come here for Support
TV Server doesn't detect my AverMedia M780 digital card

None of the suggested solutions work. dman-lfc seems to be the person who can help - he provided most valuable suggestions.

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC-1 rev25080
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 Wide
Windows Version: Vista Business 32 SP2
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 2.6 GHz
HDD: Fujitsu 300 GB
Memory: 3 GB
Motherboard: Sony VAIO VGN-FZ490NJB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT
Video Card Driver: NVIDIA 7.15.11.6760
Sound Card: Builtin IDT High Definition Audio
Sound Card AC3: n/a
Sound Card Driver: 6.10.5614.0
1. TV Card: AverMedia AVerTV Hybrid Volar MAX H826
1. TV Card Type: Hybrid ATSC/QAM/analog NTSC
1. TV Card Driver: 2.0.0.124
2. TV Card: n/a
2. TV Card Type: n/a
2. TV Card Driver: n/a
3. TV Card: n/a
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver: n/a
4. TV Card: n/a
4. TV Card Type: n/a
4. TV Card Driver: n/a
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPEG-2 Video Decoder (Gabest)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC - MPA
h.264 Video Codec: FunBox
Satelite/CableTV Provider: n/a
HTPC Case: Sony laptop
Cooling: builtin
Power Supply: builtin
Remote: n/a
TV: n/a
TV - HTPC Connection: n/a

Attachments

• Configuration-1-AVerMedia H826 Hybrid TV Tuner.xml
    30.8 KB

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TVServer cannot find the cards tuner because it appears to be being used by another application.
    Make sure no other services or TV applications are using your ATSC card.

DMAN

caveman69

Portal Member
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    I quit 2 AverMedia services that were using the card. Result is the same - no ATSC channels found and the scan takes few seconds. New logs are attached.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    2010-03-11 21:29:40.876179 [(6)]: Exception :TvLibrary.TvExceptionSWEncoderMissing: No audio compressor filter found. You must install a supported audio encoder!

Simone

caveman69

Portal Member
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Quote:
    2010-03-11 21:29:40.876179 [(6)]: Exception :TvLibrary.TvExceptionSWEncoderMissing: No audio compressor filter found. You must install a supported audio encoder!
    Simone
    I saw this, but it only applies to analog tuner. TV Server shows error about the missing audio filter when trying to tune analog NTSC channels. But I do not care about analog since they are not broadcast in the US anymore.

If it helps with testing, I can try to get the missing filter and see if it helps with ATSC channels, but I doubt it.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    If you don't use analog, I would just disable it to remove the "noise" from logs.

Simone

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Same error as before:

2010-03-11 21:34:38.436179 [(13)]: Exception :TvLibrary.TvException: No TVTuner installed

This is because TVServer cannot find or your ATSC Tuner or it is being used by another application.

If you have no intention of using the NTSC tuner then disable it in TVServer.
    Also if you have created a hybrid group for the two tuners then delete it and see if that helps.

Otherwise something has a hold of your ATSC tuner.
    Is your version of XP - Media Centre edition?

DMAN

jaymode

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2008
    Home Country
    I have had similar issues when I set my tuner type to ATSC, MediaPortal logs says that there is no tuner installed. If you change it back to generic after you disabled the two Aver services, does it still give you a BSOD?

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looking on the internet it appears certain AverMedia adapters require the tuner to be initialized by the bundled application before it can be used elsewhere.
    Therefore it is likely to work if you run the AverMedia bundled app & then close it and start TVServer.

Bit of a pain but until AverMedia tell us how to initialize their tuner so we can use it in our graph building then thats what you'll have to do.

DMAN

caveman69

Portal Member
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    jaymode: I have had similar issues when I set my tuner type to ATSC, MediaPortal logs says that there is no tuner installed. If you change it back to generic after you disabled the two Aver services, does it still give you a BSOD?

Yes, it still gives BSOD. I disabled Aver services and changed it back to generic.

dman_lfc: ...it is likely to work if you run the AverMedia bundled app & then close it and start TVServer.

I did that - same result.

I also tried this card with a fresh rev25080 one-click install on XP Pro 32 SP3 machine. It works like a charm - tunes ATSC OTA, QAM and analog NTSC. I used default settings for everything - generic provider, all tuners eneabled, etc.

I did some research on Internet and here is what I found. It seems that the problem is with the way Vista builds a graph for this tuner.

In XP, Microsoft ATSC Network Provider can connect to AVerMedia H825 Hybrid TV BDA Tuner. In Vista, ATSC provider does not connect to the tuner. However, tuner can connect to Microsoft Network Provider.

The difference between XP and Vista is that Vista has new 5th BDA network provider filter - Microsoft Network Provider - in addition to 4 filters available in XP (ATSC, DVBC, DVBS, DVBT). Microsoft Network Provider is also a separate file - MSNP.ax. ATSC, DVBC, DVBS, DVBT filters are part of MSDvbNP.ax.

Since this tuner works with XP and ATSC provider, I tried to use the XP driver for tuner and the XP version of MSDvbNP.ax in Vista. I was hoping that the tuner will be able to connect to ATSC provider if I use both XP driver and XP filters. XP tuner driver successfully installed in Vista. I was also able to register XP version of MSDvbNP.ax in Vista.

Original AverMedia app recognized the tuner and was able to tune channels. MP recognized the tuner, however, it was not able to tune with ATSC provider. Generic provider resulted in BSOD. I checked graphstudio - tuner did not connect to ATSC provider, even with XP driver and filters installed in Vista.

I think that XP and Vista build graphs for ATSC tuners differently. XP connects ATSC provider with the tuner using filters from MSDvbNP.ax. Vista uses MSNP.ax to connect the tuner to Microsoft Network Provider.

I guess when I select ATSC provider in MP server configuration, it tries to build the graph using ATSC provider - but it does not connect in Vista. That's why I get No TVTuner installed error.

But when I set tv server to use Generic provider (which I assume is Microsoft Network Provider from MSNP.ax in Vista), I get BSOD.

I think that Aver app is using Microsoft Network Provider and it works without BSOD. Therefore, there is a problem with the way how MP is trying to use Microsoft Network Provider from MSNP.ax in Vista.

Here is somebody at AverMedia who might help:

beta@aver.com
    Felix Kolotinsky
    Product Manager
    AVerMedia Technologies, Inc.

Thanks to everybody who is working on this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom