Bad audio video sync in fullscreen mode (1 Viewer)

Seeco

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Linköping
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Yeah, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to get audio and video in sync if you're playing 24p material on a 24Hz refresh rate. I also tried setting audio renderer to "default directsound device", but it didn't make any difference. It's really disturbing that you have these problems when using Vista, but there is a difference between the problems wer're having: You have failing sync when using EVR, I have sync with EVR but instead I have tearing.

Maybe a dedicated soundcard would be the way to go, or maybe there is something about passing both video and audio through HDMI (the way I used to do)...

n4orcer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2008
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yeah, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to get audio and video in sync if you're playing 24p material on a 24Hz refresh rate. I also tried setting audio renderer to "default directsound device", but it didn't make any difference. It's really disturbing that you have these problems when using Vista, but there is a difference between the problems wer're having: You have failing sync when using EVR, I have sync with EVR but instead I have tearing.

Maybe a dedicated soundcard would be the way to go, or maybe there is something about passing both video and audio through HDMI (the way I used to do)...

Actually its the same problem. I have sound sync issues when using DX and tearing when using EVR.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How about using the natural refresh rate of your display, sorry if i sound harsh, but have a variety of video framerates for some of my movies and do not have a problem at 60Hz (native) even though technically i am in a 50Hz area of the world, same for recorded TV.

If it ain't broke, dont try to fix it.

faltiska

May 18, 2008
    I do have a sync problem but it does not seem related to yours.
    Just to make sure, here is what causes mine.
    I am running on a dual turion 1.5GHz and I am using ffdshow set to lancosz resize to full screen, denoise, post processing and subtitles. This requires a whole lot of CPU power and it is probably not multithreaded.
    When I activate AMD PowerNow (a sort of SpeedStep), it results in sync problems. Even if I set vista power settings to keep the CPU at 100%, with PowerNow activated, the SCPU falls behind from time to time.
    With PowerNow off, it works just fine.

Hope this helps.

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Paranoid Delusion: Sorry, I can detect judder when viewing 24p material at both 50 and 60Hz, and it definitely is no paranoid delusion ;) Besides, I don't fancy cutting corners with my media experience just because of lacking functionality. It's the technology that should change, not I :)

Faltiska: I have also seen problems with ffdshow and peaking CPU load, but I don't think this is the case here. I'll double-check my BIOS for any speedstep or the likes just to be sure. I must say though that this reminds me of a thread I read where people were curing some a/v issues by overclocking or underclocking their videocards slightly. Apparently their cards had some kind of "functionality" which lowered the GPU frequency when it shouldn't. Another thing to try!

Does anyone have any thoughts about why some video files playback perfectly, whereas some go wildly out of sync? Could it be that some sort of GPU acceleration is active for some files and not for others? What other things could produce this?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Forgot to say FFDShow is not a mpeg2 decoder.

Download the cyberlink PowerDVD8 trial, should then let you chose that as encoder.

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Actually, come to think of it I'm not using ffdshow as a decoder for mpeg2. I use Nvidia purevideo as a decoder and then I use ffdshow raw video as post processing. I use this for both DVD and TV. Seems to do what I want. For xvid I use ffdshow as a decoder.

scma

Portal Pro
    December 24, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Getting a videophile to understand that there's no relation between framerate and refreshrate on a modern monitor is just as hard as getting a audiophile to understand that his $1000 speakercables isn't any better than the lampcord bought at the local market.

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    But there is some effect form changing refresh rate, isn't there? Or do you absolutely deny that there would be any difference? What is the meaning then with 24p output and "modern displays" being able to produce refresh rates that are multiples of 24?

The analogy with the cable issue for audiophiles doesn't really hold. Anyone can see an actual difference in image smoothness depending on refresh rate/framerate combination. The question is if it is significant, is the stutter obtained by ouputting 24p with a multiple of 24Hz better than other types of judder.

Since this is a support thread it would be nice to hear your suggestions to a solution instead of just casual remarks.

scma

Portal Pro
    December 24, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    When a LCD or Plasma monitor refreshes the screen it doesn't refresh the complete frame, only the parts that have changed.

But alas, trying to discuss technology or even physics with a audio/video-phile is like discussing religion with a zealot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom