BBC Olympic HD channels weird picture corruption

Discussion in 'Television (MyTV frontend and TV-Server)' started by hucknallred, July 29, 2012.

1. hucknallred

hucknallred Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Hi
    I've successfully tune the 24 HD Olympic channels in MP, but find I get a weird picture corruption on some of them, randomly but it's happening most of the time, rather than try to describe the effect here's a snapshot:

[​IMG]

It's not transponder/signal related as I get good pictures on other channels, I also sometimes get this effect on the normal HD channels for an instant when switching to the channel or unpausing, it then sort of locks on & goes good. With these new channels it stays, but if I catch it in the right mood they can be OK, most annoying.

I'm using the MPC codec from the Shark007 pack on Vista 64.

[EDIT] Switched back to LAV & they look OK, but need to wait for some sport to properly check. I switched away from LAV for the other channels because I had problems, what those problems were escape me at the moment.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks

HR

Last edited: July 29, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Yes I've seen this before - my opinion is that it is the codec. The complex and extended inter frame and inter block referencing that h.264 can use means that finding a "safe" entry point in the stream to start decoding from is not so straightforward. The first bunch of frames that the codec decodes may be missing backward-references from frames/blocks that the codec didn't get the opportunity to decode. Some streams are more affected than others, depending on the options that the broadcaster is using to encode the stream...

mm

4. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

elliottmc Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    I've seen this with a TBS tuner, and it was due to the tuner getting too hot. I put an extra fan in the case and the problem went away.

I have now seen this yesterday, with an external USB TBS tuner, and suspect it is the same thing. How hot is the tuner getting?

Mark

5. hucknallred

hucknallred Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    It seems it was the codec, I now remember having problems with the live football during Euro 2012 with LAV, very jerky video. I've switched back & found the option for hardware acceleration in LAV setup, all is now well. Although odd times I still get the effect, but changing channel fixes it.
    Thanks

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!