BBC Olympic HD channels weird picture corruption (1 Viewer)

hucknallred

Portal Pro
February 21, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi
I've successfully tune the 24 HD Olympic channels in MP, but find I get a weird picture corruption on some of them, randomly but it's happening most of the time, rather than try to describe the effect here's a snapshot:

d78sl.png

It's not transponder/signal related as I get good pictures on other channels, I also sometimes get this effect on the normal HD channels for an instant when switching to the channel or unpausing, it then sort of locks on & goes good. With these new channels it stays, but if I catch it in the right mood they can be OK, most annoying.

I'm using the MPC codec from the Shark007 pack on Vista 64.

[EDIT] Switched back to LAV & they look OK, but need to wait for some sport to properly check. I switched away from LAV for the other channels because I had problems, what those problems were escape me at the moment.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks

HR

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Yes I've seen this before - my opinion is that it is the codec. The complex and extended inter frame and inter block referencing that h.264 can use means that finding a "safe" entry point in the stream to start decoding from is not so straightforward. The first bunch of frames that the codec decodes may be missing backward-references from frames/blocks that the codec didn't get the opportunity to decode. Some streams are more affected than others, depending on the options that the broadcaster is using to encode the stream...

mm

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I've seen this with a TBS tuner, and it was due to the tuner getting too hot. I put an extra fan in the case and the problem went away.

I have now seen this yesterday, with an external USB TBS tuner, and suspect it is the same thing. How hot is the tuner getting?

Mark

hucknallred

Portal Pro
    February 21, 2012
    Home Country
    It seems it was the codec, I now remember having problems with the live football during Euro 2012 with LAV, very jerky video. I've switched back & found the option for hardware acceleration in LAV setup, all is now well. Although odd times I still get the effect, but changing channel fixes it.
    Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom