BD-rip, ISO = No subtitles? (2 Viewers)

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
ClownBD is basically the same thing we do. It is also a GUI for EAC3to. The difference is just that ClownBD does some more stuff automatically.
I tried it once, but didn't get it to work right, which is why I haven't used it this time around. Might look at it again.
Any idea how it handles the beforementioned DTS HD Master Audio issues?

kidi

July 20, 2008
I'm not sure I can really help on the DTS-HD issue.

All I can say is on the BDs with DTS HDMA clownbd has been working perfectly so far : I have the movie with only the dts hdma track.

The thing is I use TMNT to watch my bd, so it was already installed. Don't know if it matters.
But whether I convert DD TrueHd or DTS HD-MA, so far it's been all very good. 1:1 copy for picture and sound.

o0X0o

Portal Pro
August 19, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
I can't get "Another EAC3to GUI" to work... It wants me to give it the BD's 'STREAM' folder in "Stream Path", but when I click analyse it says "BluRay disc structure not found".

Especially odd, is that it offers all the .m2ts files in that folder as potential input streams, and I can pick the movie and preview it but the command line and add batch buttons don't do anything...

Any ideas?

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I have stopped using "Another AEC3to GUI". Most of the discs I have tried since that time doesn't work. I'm not sure if it is my setup (which as rather old and probably fucked by a lot of codec issues) or just the program.
I mostly use "HDDVD BD stream extractor" now.
Apparently MakeMKV can also handle Blu-ray, but I haven't tried it yet.

o0X0o

Portal Pro
August 19, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Thanks, I tried Bluray Stream Extractor with mkvmerge instead (previously suggested tools) and it looks like it was successful. Only problem was there is no size or language info for the subtitles -how do you know what one's to add?

Question on the audio as I don't yet have an amplifier that does HD audio to test with - when you convert the audio to FLAC how does the amplifier interpret the audio tracks? I suspect it no longer detects as DTS HDMA or DD TrueHD, so does it just see it as 6/8 channel PCM?

Just tried another BD and the language of the subtitles was available, but doesn't differentiate where there are multiple of the same language (e.g. full subs, 'forced', director's commeents etc). Any tips on how to select the right one?

Also, is it important to grab the chapters (can you even use them in an mkv container)?

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Thanks, I tried Bluray Stream Extractor with mkvmerge instead (previously suggested tools) and it looks like it was successful. Only problem was there is no size or language info for the subtitles -how do you know what one's to add?
Just tried another BD and the language of the subtitles was available, but doesn't differentiate where there are multiple of the same language (e.g. full subs, 'forced', director's commeents etc). Any tips on how to select the right one?
I have not experienced that the language did not show up.
You are correct though, that the type of subtitle (e.g. Hearing impaired, commentary etc.) is not shown. I have not yet seen a ripping tool (neither for DVD actually) that has this information available.
I usually just picks the first one, but lately I have begun just ripping them all (the languages that I want). Since I have to open and demux (or what it's called) the subtitle with BDsup2sub anyway, I just take a look at the first couple of lines and see if that gives away the type of subtitle.
Usually, if it starts with something like "Hi, My name is Steven and today I have George Lucas with me" it's the commentary track.

Question on the audio as I don't yet have an amplifier that does HD audio to test with - when you convert the audio to FLAC how does the amplifier interpret the audio tracks? I suspect it no longer detects as DTS HDMA or DD TrueHD, so does it just see it as 6/8 channel PCM?
I have no idea, since I don't have an amplifier either (just uses an old Creative 5.1 speaker system). I have recently moved all my storage from my Server to a NAS, and in the process I deleted all my Blu-ray rips (most of them by mistake), and when I re-rip them, I am gonna take a closer look as how to best preserve the HD-audio tracks.

Also, is it important to grab the chapters (can you even use them in an mkv container)?
I actually don't know if they work in an .mkv container - have never tried it.
You can add them though. When using MKVMerge GUI, go to the tab that says "Global". Aprox. halfway down is a section that says "Chapters". Just add the chapter.txt (not the log file) there and it is added to the finished .mkv.

o0X0o

Portal Pro
August 19, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Thanks jonaskp,

It's not the "one-click" solution I was hoping for, but I'm getting teriffic results that are very MediaPortal friendly.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I know, I was hoping for that too when I started ripping my Blu-rays. It would seem that there are currently no one-click solution, except maybe MakeMKV, but I am not having the best results with it, regarding subtitles.
Often it doesn't find all of the subtitle tracks on a disc.

slimmj0k3r

Portal Member
December 28, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Normally I too rip my blu-rays as iso's and call it a day. Recently when i tried to play my newly ripped district 9 i didn't even have subtitles for when the prauns spoke :eek:

I've tried the anothereac3togui setup that someone mentioned earlier but i'm running into problems. Whenever I finish the conversion the files simply disappear! I can see the files during the conversion process but they simply vanish after, not sure what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

o0X0o

Portal Pro
August 19, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
I had that happen once as well which makes me think it's to do with eac3to (not the GUI). Perhaps it's passing the wrong parameters?

Have you tried HDBRStreamExtractor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom