BD-rip, ISO = No subtitles? (1 Viewer)

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I have just started ripping my Blu-rays to HDD. I decided on just ripping them to .iso with AnyDVD to preserve the entire disc - it doubles as a backup incase I lose the original disc.

I import them to MovingPictures. For now I am mostly interested in just playing them using the default player. I don't really need the menu right now, so I would rather not need to launch an external player like PowerDVD.

The problem is, that while I can play the movies just fine, I can't get subtitles. If I open the subtitles menu, I have a long list of subtitle-tracks all named "undecided" (directly translated from danish where it's "Ubesluttet"). If I try to select one of them, nothing happens.

The same happens with the audio-tracks. They are all named "undecided". But the audio changes when I change audio track, so even though I can't see which Audio track it is, it seems to be working fine.

I am using SAF-codecs.

Anyone else has experienced something like this?

Toga

Portal Pro
January 17, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I might be wrong here, but I believe outside of the commercial players there is nothing (yet) that can playback the format used for subtitles on blu ray.

eXplicit82

Portal Member
September 24, 2009
I have exactly the same issue. I also would like to just use the internal player instead of using workarounds (e.g. launch PDVD)

@ Toga,

Well, I use MPC-HC (x64) and there you can play a mounted blu ray iso and use the Navigate command to select subtitle streams (whereas in MP they are 'undetermined')...

It would be great if this would work with the internal MP player..

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
You say that it is possible to do in MPC-HC? That means it is possible to do it, the question is why it hasn't been done.
I would love it if MediaPortal would be able to play Blu-ray ISO's. It would make it the only one of the Big HTPC application that could do this natively, which I think would be a huge deal.

Sadly enough though, it doesn't seem this is something that will get fixed.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
To bad that MP 1.1 is going into feature freeze on thursday. I was really hoping for BD support in the "final" version of MP :-(

Toga

Portal Pro
January 17, 2009
Home Country
Just looked it up, you are quite right MPC-HC does play them now.

I have read a few posts on other forums, stating you can install MPC-HC and register the codecs (which I assume will be newer than the ones in mediaportal. They will then be selectable in the mediaportal config. However I don't know if this will allow mediaportal to pick up bluray subs. I'm guessing some work will need to be done to the subtitle engine for it to recognise them.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Well, the SAF filters I use for codecs, should use some of MPC-HC's codecs, but I'm not sure about the Blu-ray part. Will have to test it though. I fear that it will not work though.

But its strange, that MediaPortal has begun using MPC-HC's subtitle engine (as far as I understand) in order to have correctly hardware accelerated subtitles, but they have not adopted support for Blu-ray subtitles?

My HTPC experience would be so much more complete if i could just get subtitles on my Blu-rays in the internal player. I wouldn't mind not having the menu (because that is a lot of work, since there is not even a built-in navigator in Windows, but I can't imagine that the subtitles would be that hard.

Toga

Portal Pro
January 17, 2009
Home Country
My HTPC experience would be so much more complete if i could just get subtitles on my Blu-rays in the internal player. I wouldn't mind not having the menu (because that is a lot of work, since there is not even a built-in navigator in Windows, but I can't imagine that the subtitles would be that hard.

I agree. It's annoying having to have an external programme for Blu-ray.
I guess the Subtitle implementation is based on older MPC-HC code and missing the Blu-ray implementation.
As we are approaching a feature freeze, I guess we will have to wait for the next version, unless someone can come up with a mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom