Best machine specification for MP1 clients (2 Viewers)

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was wondering whether anyone could recommend a specification for dedicated MP1 client machines where we get the best bang for buck (i.e. without installing the server component)?

I guess that the following would be good to know:
    processor speed;​
    number of processors;​
    memory requirements;​
    graphic card requirements.​
    I am guessing that disk space would not be a critical component.

I am really interested in Win 10/11 laptops.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Depends on what to watch, if FullHD H.264 then i3 4+ generation is enough, if H.265 then in my opinion only i3 7+ generation Intel started to support it normally, 8-16 GB of memory is enough, integrated video card as well. Well, the disk volume is already according to needs.

Patrik-See

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I myself have it running super smoothly on an AMD 2400g on a 4K TV.
    Whether BluRay or 4K Bluray, everything runs quickly in operation and smoothly when watching.

Unfortunately, the 2400g is not Windows 11 compatible.
    You would therefore have to use a newer one.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,
    At least 2 CPU (4 with HT ?).
    Also, depending on your use :
    If you need low encoded videos on full HD, 4 or 8K (ie : MadVR use) then, don't forget GFX power ;)

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Do you think 4GB of memory is not going to handle client usage?

I mention this because hard drive size in laptops is often linked to memory (by suppliers) For example, 4GB > 128GB disk while 8GB enforces 256GB disk. So buying less memory can save significantly on overall cost of laptop.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Do you think 4GB of memory is not going to handle client usage?
    For a long time I ran both the MP client and TV Server on a single Dell system that had only 3 GB of memory (with an Intel Q6600 4-core processor). This was using 32-bit Windows 7. I eventually purchased some additional memory and upgraded to 7 GB of memory and installed 64-bit Windows 7.

To be honest, I did not notice any difference in performance between the 3 GB and 7 GB systems, but I don't do any transcoding of video, or use the HTPC for any other purpose (such as gaming).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    For a long time I ran both the MP client and TV Server on a single Dell system that had only 3 GB of memory (with an Intel Q6600 4-core processor). This was using 32-bit Windows 7. I eventually purchased some additional memory and upgraded to 7 GB of memory and installed 64-bit Windows 7.

To be honest, I did not notice any difference in performance between the 3 GB and 7 GB systems, but I don't do any transcoding of video, or use the HTPC for any other purpose (such as gaming).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
    That's very interesting and very helpful. I think this matters because the price difference between 4GB + 128GB disk vs 8GB + 256GB disk is over £100; which really matters when buying multiple client machines.

I suspect that switching from 32 bit Windows 7 to 64 bit would have made a difference, though. I think that was good move.

BTW. my question was about using client machines solely for MP1; so your experience is particularly relevant to my question.

My best guess is that, for running a MP1 client, chip speed and meeting a minimum 4GB of memory, as well as a good networking connection to the server, will be the most significant aspects of a client machine because the client machine processing is primarily video processing. Having said that, I suspect the computer will require enough memory to hold the currently showing video when replaying a video stored on a hard drive. Therefore, so long as you don't run anything else while running MP1, the process shouldn't use an inordinate amount of memory.

I would be interested to hear any differing opinions though.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    I tried a machine with 4GB memory and 128GB disk with below i3 chip; on the basis that there was something else I could use the machine for.

It is a bit slow but works perfectly well. I suspect that the chip is what makes it slow so I'm going to try an i3 chip with 6 processors.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    I think this matters because the price difference between 4GB + 128GB disk vs 8GB + 256GB disk is over £100; which really matters when buying multiple client machines.
    Please, consider 2nd option.
    Yes, it's more expensive but at a moment, you will have for the money you spent.
    Don't moan if it doesn't suit your need in the future....
    MP is a "big" software and also, win 10/11 ask for power PC.
    But the choice is on your hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom