Best settings to refresh Freesat channels (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Despite repeated scans, my MP2 refused to recognise that anything had changed until I deleted all the channels completely. Then the next rescan found them all including the new BBC HD channels,
    Which TV Server are you using?
    • TVE 3
    • TVE 3.5
    • TV Mosaic
    Did you update your satellite list before performing the scans? This post contains an updated transponder list.

Did you select Enable channel movement detection?

As I have said before, I have never used satellite TV, so I am just trying to ensure that all relevant information is available to someone who might know what the problem is.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    I'm on TVE3, and yes I did update the transponder list from that post beforehand.

The problem doesn't seem to be that the new channels were not being downloaded, but rather that as long as the "old channel" was called (for example) BBC2, and the "new channel" was called BBC2, it wasn't updated, regardless of the fact that the tuning had changed. My rescans literally found no channels to update until I blew everything away and started afresh.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The problem doesn't seem to be that the new channels were not being downloaded, but rather that as long as the "old channel" was called (for example) BBC2, and the "new channel" was called BBC2, it wasn't updated, regardless of the fact that the tuning had changed.
    If Enable channel movement detection is enabled, TV Server can identify certain types of change to the channel lineup, but not all changes. If the changes were ones that TV Server cannot identify, it will (or should) find the new channels, but they will be at the end of the list (so probably off screen). The old channels will remain in the list even if they do not work (you need to delete them manually).

Did you scroll to the end of the list to see if the new channels were present?

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Channel movement detection was enabled. The main reason I needed to do this was to re-tune the BBC channels which all changed in the UK a few weeks ago. I watched the entire process during the scan and the status window in TV server literally reported finding no new channels and no channels to update on any frequency.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I watched the entire process during the scan and the status window in TV server literally reported finding no new channels and no channels to update on any frequency.
    I cannot explain what happened. TV Server has been unchanged for years. Unfortunately, the MP development team no longer has a TV expert, so if there is a bug in the satellite scanning code, it will not be fixed. :(

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Channel movement detection was enabled. The main reason I needed to do this was to re-tune the BBC channels which all changed in the UK a few weeks ago. I watched the entire process during the scan and the status window in TV server literally reported finding no new channels and no channels to update on any frequency.
    Since you have MP2 you have the option of using the TV Mosaic server. Give it a try, you don't need to do anything in MP 2 to test its capabilities, just download and install the browser based api (not the MP2 version that supports it at this point) from the MP2 - V2.5 - TVMosaic Provider for MP2 thread, let it use your tuners and do a scan and see what it finds. TV Mosaic is a much more up to date TV Server that may well resolve your problem. If you like how it works there is a beta version of MP 2 currently available that supports it and the MP 2.5 release will also be supporting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom