[Music] Better sound quality with WASAPI (1 Viewer)

mts1

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Ever tried ASIO4ALL? ;)

Yes, of course.

Btw., I get bit-perfect stream using reclock in the chain of filters for my videos.
    However, for music, obviously, it doesn't work.

Recently I've learnt that the latest version of BASS engine is WASAPI capable. The question is if/when MP developers will adapt BASS' latest libraries.

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    you can of course get bit-perfect audio streaming with reclock, but _most_ of the people use reclock to speed-up/slow-down the video in some way. and then there is simply no way of not tinkering with the audio stream.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    you can of course get bit-perfect audio streaming with reclock, but _most_ of the people use reclock to speed-up/slow-down the video in some way. and then there is simply no way of not tinkering with the audio stream.

Actually by using directshow player it should be already possible :)

mts1

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    That's bad news. :(
    Is it so complicated? Or there are some legal issues?

GhoSe

Portal Pro
    December 17, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We're in feature freeze and try to prevent as many risk as possible to be able to deliver a (hopefully) rock solid version with 1.1.0. Things like this one here can be scheduled for after 1.1.0 then.

mr.duck

Portal Member
    December 31, 2008
    Whats the advantage of WASAPI compared to ASIO?

WASAPI works better because it blocks any other program from using the soundcard. No windows bells and beeps for example which would obviously stop it being bit perfect and just annoying more than anything else. WASAPI also sets all digital volume levels in windows to 100%. And ASIO needs ASIO drivers.

ASIO sometimes blocks other audio. Depends on drivers. With WASAPI it is guaranteed. Maybe only the music playback part of MediaPortal needs to have WASAPI output.

With WASAPI you are still left with the digital volume control built into the software you are using. So if the developers were to make it so that all digital processing was bypassed (including volume) when WASAPI output was selected, then you are virtually guaranteed bit perfect output. Only option that you would need to set is the output format, 16 or 24 bit. 16 should give bit perfect output, 24 bit would pad 16 bit music to 24 bit. Technically that would not be bit perfect but AFAIK it would just be a few zeros added on to pad it out and would sound the same as well as support any 24 bit music you might have.

not trying to be rude here, but if you see no stuttering with 50Hz material on a 75Hz display, you have definitely no need for bit-perfect audio :p

It can depend a lot. Windows XP with .NET 3.0 and EVR inside MPC HC... I just cannot get acceptable playback. Best I could manage was turning vsync off which is really bloody annoying. All other renderers had problems. Every single one. Awful! The graphics card seems to make a difference.

With the exact same hardware on Windows 7 it's fine. Any software just select EVR and it is smooth. No tearing either. It would be better if the display was 50 or 100 Hz, but I've seen much worse.

diablosv

Portal Member
    November 1, 2008
    Home Country
    I'd just like to reiterate my support for WASAPI over ASIO in Music playing in Media Portal.

At current I am using the HDMI on my HD5770 for video\audio, with ASIO4ALL and ASIO enabled in Media Portal it will output to to my 5.1 speakers, which isn't what I want, I want have have strereo ouput for my music.

This can be remidied with the PureAudio plugin, as you can select first and last speaker, however in this situation my receiver still thinks its outputting 5.1 and the subwoofer just doesnt get used,.

When I use WASAPI output in Foobar2000, it bitstreams the proper Stereo output to my reciever. On top of this the Subwoofer is working too as it has been set to be used for Stereo sources.

So from my personal observation WASAPI is just a better and simpler solution for Vista\7 users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom