Black Screen at end of movie (2 Viewers)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ok, can confirm the problem you see, how to handle it, unsure as dvd navigator is being used, the correct handling is to go back to menu, well there ain't one to go back too with this kind of rip.

I really cannot see what we do with this, as changing the behaviour of the dvd navigator is liable to cause major problems for normal dvd structures, even Moving Pictures would not work with this ripped file.

No wonder i batch converted my dvd's to mp4.

Edit, Tried to access this rip with tmpgenc express 4 and it just does not recognise the dvd structure, so most probably not the best way to rip dvd's fullstop.

Then tried with Xvid4PSP 5.0, also does not recognise as DVD, will convert to mpeg2 from files, but sloooow.

tmacca

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Not sure what method you used to rip the movie (I used DVDRebuilder), but all my 'movie only' rips are perfectly usable in tmpgenc express 4 (well, the 6 or 7 I tested, anyway)

No big deal about the 'black screen', I least I know it is a design feature rather than a bug!

The only reason I ripped all the menus out was because I was having all sorts of weird and intermittent navigation problems - my kids now know the phrase 'play movie' in Spanish, Portugese, Frenc, Italian, German and Norwegian

Never really managed to solve the nav problems to my satisfaction, so next best thing was to rip the menus - which leads to the problem with the black screen - :(

Is there a way to add an option in the config that would allow a film to 'stop' when it reaches the end? If it was selected, the movie would stop (and thus return to MP) and if unselected, default behaviour occurs ie, return to DVD menu)

Dont know much about DVD navigation, to be honest, but maybe it could check the length of the movie against its current position in the movie to determine when to 'stop'?

TechLife

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I use CloneDVD to rip my movies. I have no interest in wasting the space for the menu and extra features that I'll never use/watch anyway nor do I really want to wait and navigate, etc. I just want the darn movie to start when I press play. I know I should probably encode but have yet to find an *easy*, lossless (DVD is lossy enough in itself), time-effective solution...but that's a whole other topic...

Anyway, I have the same problem as above and am just curious to see if anyone has come up with an answer to this...it's a minor annoyance but still...

Is there a way to add an option in the config that would allow a film to 'stop' when it reaches the end? If it was selected, the movie would stop (and thus return to MP) and if unselected, default behaviour occurs ie, return to DVD menu)

This sounds like a great idea to me... is it possible??

:D

tmacca

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 24, 2008
    Home Country
    no, never did get a resolution to this

Its not such a big deal - I was more interested to know if I had a problem with my rig, or whether it was by design - although it would be nice if it would return to MP after a movie finishes, but not sure this is possible using the DVD navigator

I ripped mine for the same reason as you - ease of use, no messing around with menus etc - if I (or, more importantly, my kids) want to watch a movie, then we can just watch a movie without faffing around with menus etc

I guess the only way is to convert - MKV would be my preferred container, as all my HD stuff has been done like this

tmacca

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 24, 2008
    Home Country
    WOW!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!

:D:D:D

Can't tell you how happy this would make me if it really is fixed. It really is the ONLY issue that I have with Mediaportal...it is running like an absolute dream at the moment. Even this issue isn't much of a problem, but to actually have it fixed would be absolutely brilliant. THANK YOU!!

Any idea of a planned release date for 1.1.0?

PS What was/is the issue? Is it an easy enough fix? Could it be released as a patch before 1.1.0 is released?

-Manfred-

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    General note for all: always peek to Mantis bug tracker for more info.

No patch coming, but if you want to compíle core.dll I can put the magic three lines here.

tmacca

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 24, 2008
    Home Country
    thank you for the offer Manfred, but I wouldnt have the first clue how to compile it!:oops:

I am on the latest 1.0.2 though, if you felt the goodness in your heart to compile core.dll for me and paste it here ;);)
    :D:D

If not, I guess I will have to wait...but wouldnt you like to know if the fix works? :D

Thanks in advance

TechLife

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Home Country
    general note for all: Always peek to mantis bug tracker for more info.
    No patch coming, but if you want to compíle core.dll i can put the magic three lines here.

yes please!!!

TechLife

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Home Country
    @ Manfred -

If you wouldn't mind posting the code (& location to apply) here (or PM) that would be much appreciated. I compiled 22732 but unfortunately it broke the ViewModeSwitcher plug-in which is a big minus on the WAF scale so I had to leave the main HTPC at 102 release.

Even though I knew better, I got bored and tried compiling the the 22732 core.dll and replacing 102 release core but it of course doesn't work. LOL

If I could compile the 102 release core with the fix added things would be great!!

Thanks in advance =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom