Blow WindowPlugins.dll to separate plugin DLLs (1 Viewer)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    I guess the big issues here is splitting windowsplugins, so the sooner we can reach a decision on this the better. From my own testing, it seems fine, although it causes problems with 3rd party plugins as expected. I guess many of us need a couple of plugins so we will need plugin devs to work with us during the testing period to provide updated versions to test with. @offbyone - how much work is it to provide a version of online videos to test with?
    about this, we can add an popup (bottom right) in forum about the update of plugin. like MP2 notification.
    i think, we don't have all plugin dev members set to the tag.
    Create a new thread for this topic, and call plugin dev, and i hope all plugin no informed come to us.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, I guess for many people, the main plugins that can be affected by this are

Moving Pictures, OnlineVideos, MPTVSeries

So, can we get @ltfearme @offbyone @fforde to liaise with @seco to provide test builds of these plugins that will be compatible with this branch?

Then if we don't find any problems (which I have not so far) and if code review is good, we can move forward by merging this, then ensuring that all other branches we might want to include are compatible.

Mark

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Noob question.
    I am wondering if the deletable / blown dll's are going to be supplied by plugin devs installs (mpei) or centrally from MP source.

I am probably totally not understanding how it works, but I like to know. :)
    Reason why I ask is:
    If by installing i.e. MovingPictures needs dll "X" to be present so the movingpictures.MPEI includes that dll.
    If by installing now TVSeries needs dll "X" as well, so it is included in the MPEI as well.
    Could there be version issues?
    Or is my assumption the MPEI provides the dll incorrect?

Thanks for the explaining.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    For now, i think Internal plugin, should be always delivered with MP release.
    but if we have to update MyVidéo modul ( like this name), all change in code should affect only for this plugin and no other.

so maybe, we should add it to MPEI as already installed, possiblity to be updated.
    with an update of xml node MPEI extension installer file. with the new version.
    if update we have : the released version should be MPRELEASE.0.1 ( incremented for every update )
    Out of installer : MyVidéos 1.6.0.0 after update : MyVidéos 1.6.0.1
    Update to MP1.7 Pre : Myvidéos 1.6.100.0
    the version follow always the MP release version.
    but maybe many work for maintenance ....

or every change of Plugin have his own version
    MP1 1.6.0.0 -
    Myvidéo : 1.6.0.0 ( for start from an version )
    MyMusic : 1.6.0.0 ( for start from an version )
    MP1 1.6.100.0 -
    MyVIdéo : 1.6.0.0 ( if no change since MP 1.6)
    MyMusic : 1.6.0.1 ( if code updated "bug or new feature" )
    MP1 1.7.0.0 -
    Myvidéo : 1.6.0.1 (if updated MP1 1.6.100 testing )
    MyMusic : 1.6.0.2 ( if code updated "bug or new feature" )

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Noob question.
    I am wondering if the deletable / blown dll's are going to be supplied by plugin devs installs (mpei) or centrally from MP source.

I am probably totally not understanding how it works, but I like to know. :)
    Reason why I ask is:
    If by installing i.e. MovingPictures needs dll "X" to be present so the movingpictures.MPEI includes that dll.
    If by installing now TVSeries needs dll "X" as well, so it is included in the MPEI as well.
    Could there be version issues?
    Or is my assumption the MPEI provides the dll incorrect?

Thanks for the explaining.

No, we will still have the core plugins, but now rather than My Videos and My Pictures being part of WindowsPlugins.dll, they will be separate dlls, so still installed by MP.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok, clear.
    My question is not applicable for now. Understood SIR YES SIR! :D

At this stage it is a good time to think about how to go further with the exploded plugin.dlls :p . Fundamentally, which Plugins have which dependencies and how to go about.. etc.. (You know better than me.. WAAAAY better. Ghehehe, I just try to use my common sense)

Thanks for the explanation!

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    But after this change we also have possibility to provide these plugins as MPEI package(s).

At least MPTVSeries needs to be recompiled against this but it requires only fixing of references & imports.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    But after this change we also have possibility to provide these plugins as MPEI package(s).

At least MPTVSeries needs to be recompiled against this but it requires only fixing of references & imports.

I agree 100%. It will be possible to install/remove only the plugins that the user wants, but we need to ensure that we have appropriate dependencies in place, so that if a plugin requires 'My Videos', it will either fail the dependency check or offer to install My Videos using MPEI. What the plugin must absolutely NOT do is provide a My Videos binary in its own installer.

Then of course we potentially get into a situation where the home screen doesn't work because the skin files expect a plugin. This would be a good reason to fix the home screen properly as I proposed some time ago (I think work on this is ongoing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom