Blue ray player for HTPC (1 Viewer)

ejtje

Portal Pro
November 29, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hello all,

I want to play blue ray disks on my HTPC, what is the best blueray player? (no need to record)

Any tips intergrading blueray in media portal are welkom

Greetings E

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
I could be wrong, but I don't think the player itself is of that much importance. You might want to be able to slow it down, to reduce noise, but mostly it's the PC behind it that's important, and the software you use. So, a couple of things to think about:
1. Is your processor up to Bluray plackback - check online for the minimum specs for this
2. Is your GPU up to it?
3. What O/S are you running - Windows XP doesn't like Bluray, although there are workarounds

Lastly, Moving Pictures has a feature to launch an external application when a disc is inserted. which would in theory run the bluray player that will probably come bundled with your drive - I have not tried this, as I am using XP still.

Personally, I bought a cheap (50 quid) OEM Bluray drive, as I only use it for ripping discs to HDD rather than playing them directly.

Hope that helps.

ejtje

Portal Pro
November 29, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Ok nice,

Two questions:
1- Sometimes if I rent a DVD my current DVD player is'n't able to play the connent. I think i has something to do with the copy protection or something. I assume Blu-ray has the same problems... So if I buy a blu ray Rom player (can burn any disks) maybe i haven't got these problems anymore.

2-How do you reduce the max disk read speed in windows? Do you need a extra program?

Tnx E

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
OK, a bluray player on it's own will not circumnavigate copyright and regional protections. That is probably all we can say on these forums, but there's options available for legitimate use of both DVDs and Bluray discs.

In terms of slowing down the drive speed so the drive is quieter, there are a few options, including an application that ships from Nero called Drivespeed, that does the job.

ejtje

Portal Pro
November 29, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Uhm... this thread is all ready more then 3 years old. And if i'm rights its posible with MP1.5 as default. So no external player is needed any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Thanks again for all the help. I deleted 'BDHandler.dll" from the process folder, and as expected, it no longer appears in the MePo configuration utility. I also downloaded the X86 BDReader plugin that you posted. Renamed the existing files in the MePo folder, and copied the updated files to the MePo folder. For the most part...
Thanks again for all the help. I deleted 'BDHandler.dll" from the process folder, and as expected, it no longer appears in the...
I'm not sure that this works on 32-bit, but if I try to play a 4K UHD Blu-ray (Using makeMKV, modified firmware, and AnyDVD HD) the...
Replies
Views
Well, there is nothing wrong in the log. I have personaly tested the bitstreaming after DVD resume, and I can confirm that the LAV audiodecoder shows status 'bistreaming' on the output. What is your LAV status?
Well, there is nothing wrong in the log. I have personaly tested the bitstreaming after DVD resume, and I can confirm that the LAV...
My apologies for posting two separate issues in one posting, however, the logs I have cover both. 1. Resume playback of...
Replies
Views
I don't organise my media in the way that you do, so I don't know whether MediaPortal provides the capability that you want. All that I can suggest is that you read this page in the MP Wiki and experiment to see if it will merge the separate folders to give you a unified view of the media. -- from CyberSimian in the UK
I don't organise my media in the way that you do, so I don't know whether MediaPortal provides the capability that you want. All...
Hi i have a collection of 9208(Still growing on a daily basis)) music videos(ripped in m2ts format from blu-rays) which are stored...
Replies
Views
Hi, First off: there are some issues with the latest Mediaportal (32bits vs 64bits), so that is one of the issues you're stumbling with. If you take the previous version (1.31) it should work as expected. For IPTV there is also a different option (with different pros and cons): Onlinevideos. I'm using that sometimes for my IPTV as...
Hi, First off: there are some issues with the latest Mediaportal (32bits vs 64bits), so that is one of the issues you're stumbling...
Hi I am trying to play a m3u file from my IPTV provider, but when I try to install the TV part of Media Portal v1.3.2 I get an...
Replies
Views
Thank you! I guess I was overthinking it.
Thank you! I guess I was overthinking it.
This is apparently such a low level question that it's not even documented that I can find - I apologize in advance for this: I...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom