Cable Card...problem... feature??? (1 Viewer)

mylle

Portal Pro
April 14, 2005
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
That must be what you are seeing. Its the only logical explanation!
I thought so too... until I saw DVBViewer with my own eyes.
It is really strange, but here is my current theory...
If you check the modulation table -->here<-- for DVB-T you will see that DVB-T does use 64 QAM in some cases (like here in New Zealand for Freeview HD). 64 QAM is also commonly used for DVB-C along with 256 QAM. Maybe the only reason Hauppauge can't advertise the HVR-4400 as a DVB-C tuner because it doesn't support 256 QAM. We know that there are quite a few other hybrid DVB-T/C tuners (eg. TerraTec H7), so I am thinking that they have a more advanced demodulator [compared with the HVR-4400] that can support 256 QAM. DVB-T2 supports both 64 and 256 QAM... which I think is why so many DVB-T2 demodulators also support DVB-C.
So I guess what I'm saying is maybe it is not so impossible after all... but we will see...

mm
I guess you learn something new everyday. I did not see this one coming though :)

Zeze21

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 12, 2010
    BY
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Guys now that some time has passed -actually over a year. Is there any news on the DVB-C front? I would really love to see this working in MediaPortal, as this card is cheap considering all the options dvbviewer gets out of it (i mean for me it is basically a dvb-c/s2/t card - where else would you get somthing like this for just around 100€?)
    I know Hauppauge says it's only DVB-S2/T but as i have proofen it can handle dvb-c quite nice. In fact now i can switch channels on dvbviewer without having to restart the programm.
    Unfortunately I have not heard back from @mm1352000 and he did not react to my PM anymore. I am afraid that my technical understanding is by far not good enough to do this thing on my own but i would be glad to give all information needed to anyone who would be willing to help me (and others)
    Cheers and a happy new year (another one since the last post ;) )

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Zeze21

No news I'm afraid.

I see your PM now. I'm sorry I didn't respond - at the time I was taking a break from all work on MP (not visiting the forum, not working on the code).

If you're willing to try another TeamViewer session, I do have one idea which might help...

mm

Zeze21

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 12, 2010
    BY
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sure I'll send you a PM if you have time right now (or whenever I am just a medschool student so i got time on my hands :D )

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    For the record, we managed to make it work. The trick was to set the modulation on the locator supplied in the tuning request to 256 QAM. Normally we set it to ModNotSet. The tuner wouldn't seem to accept a DVBCLocator... maybe because it needed the bandwidth to be set. In any case, I'm sorry to say there is no way I could add this as a patch to TV Server. It is too much of a hack. But, anybody is free to compile their own version of the TV library DLL. Simply add:
    Code:
    locator.put_Modulation(ModulationType.Mod256Qam);

...in TvCardDVBT.cs BeforeTune() after
    Code:
    _tuningSpace.get_DefaultLocator(out locator);

mm
    :)

Zeze21

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 12, 2010
    BY
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is amazing and thank you so much for all your hard work but i do have a question: Do i have to scan for every channel individually?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Do i have to scan for every channel individually?
    No, not unless you want to.
    You should be able to treat the tuner like a DVB-C tuner now. In other words, you can create a list of frequencies and add them to the set of DVB-T tuning details in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\TuningParameters\dvbt. Then it should be possible to scan all frequencies.

If you want, I can come back on TeamViewer and help with this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom