CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (3 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello everyone

First let me apologise for the slow responses and lack of progress on the outstanding issues. I'm really *really* busy with real life at the moment.

@zyrod: thanks for the info. I have to confess I'm not sure what is going on in your case. I'm going to need to think further about this. I note that HDHomeRun QuickTV uses a different way of communicating with the tuner.

@thattexaskid19: thanks for the encouragement. :)
    Are you referring to this section:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...d_Changes/EPG_Genre_Map#Configure_Genre_names
    I certainly didn't remove anything intentionally. Could you please double check.

@twemperor: I'm not sure about the CC being faulty or not, but I do see the continuity errors you refer to in the "no worky" logs. For example when you try to watch "CNN HD" at roughly 20:06 on 11/19. I don't have real-time info about the CC status (note to self: add to TODO list), but not so much earlier [when the tuners are loaded] the tuner is reporting that the card is inserted with no errors. I'm not sure if there is any way to get better debug info from the CC. In the "dropout and reinsert" case I see that timeshifting is actually stopped intentionally at 20:52. With the information that I have I'm not sure if that is you or whether that was the dropout but I do see PMT timeouts on the 3 following tune attempts so I suspect it was the dropout. It sounds like for whatever reason either the tuner or CableCARD or the frameworks that we rely on stop passing the stream. This can happen with DVB CAMs (similar to CableCARDs) as well for various reasons including firmware, driver and compatibility issues.

mm

zyrod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello everyone

First let me apologise for the slow responses and lack of progress on the outstanding issues. I'm really *really* busy with real life at the moment.

@zyrod: thanks for the info. I have to confess I'm not sure what is going on in your case. I'm going to need to think further about this. I note that HDHomeRun QuickTV uses a different way of communicating with the tuner.

mm

How is MP communicating with the prime protocol wise? I have used WMC, mythtv successfully with my setup. I'm game to troubleshoot this more. I have enough knowledge to be dangerous ;)

-z

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    Hi, I was one of the first to ever get the Ceton on this forum and I have to say -THANK YOU. I've been waiting for this support for about 2 years.

Everything is working great for me -the only thing I have found a problem with is that your replacement 'SetupTV.exe' (I think) does not include the new 'EPG Genre Map' option to color the EPG based on genre. Not sure if yours is outdated or what, but that is seriously my only complaint thus far.

Excellent work, after I finalize all the little details in my setup I'll send you some PayPal donation!

Do you have the InfiniTV in the PCIe version, or USB? What driver and firmware versions do you have?

Update 12/3/2012: Thanks for your help, I was able to focus on getting the right setup with the Ceton InfiniTV and I now have everything working. I had to install Windows Media Center and go through that setup. I have since disabled Windows Media Center, but there must have been something in the driver that needed to be configured. The Ceton Diagnostic Tool was complaining about some connection with WMC, but I figured it was unimportant.

Last edited:

ssrjazz

Portal Member
    May 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Any chance for 64bit support soon? I've got an HDHomeRun Prime and -finally- got a cablecard for it! Running win7 64 bit

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    Obvious question time-

It looks like this didn't get merged into 1.3 Beta (although this has been incredibly solid and stable for me the past couple weeks!)

Is a 1.3 Beta update in work?

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    mm is currently very busy, so I don't think so, but can't tell you for sure.
    Also there is currently no plan what will be exactly included in 1.4.
    And it will be definitely not in 1.3.0, because after the Beta release there are only bugfixes allowed ;)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello folks

I'm sorry for the lack of progress and updates recently. @FreakyJ is right - I have been really busy, and in fact so busy that I've decided to take it easy for a little while to allow myself to recover.

For those that have been asking, that does mean no progress on the 64 bit front. Quite honestly, don't hold your breath for that at this point. I've found it much tougher to crack than expected. At present it is 32 bit or nothing. We'll likely have to totally change things up for 64 bit. That will require time that I don't have right now. Sorry but I'm doing the best I can with the time and energy I have available, divided across multiple strands of MediaPortal development.

Obvious question time-

It looks like this didn't get merged into 1.3 Beta (although this has been incredibly solid and stable for me the past couple weeks!)

Is a 1.3 Beta update in work?
    Those who ask shall receive. :D
    Please check the first post and let us know if you have any problems with the new patch.

Note that I've also updated the install notes. Make sure you patch TV Server *and* MediaPortal. That may fix this [unconfirmed] problem:
    ...the only thing I have found a problem with is that your replacement 'SetupTV.exe' (I think) does not include the new 'EPG Genre Map' option to color the EPG based on genre. Not sure if yours is outdated or what, but that is seriously my only complaint thus far.

At present there is no target release for this feature. It will get in when it gets in. Again, as FreakyJ said that won't be in the MP 1.3.x timeframe. Possibly in the MP 1.4.x timeframe... but I'm making no commitment on that front. It is a team decision. Every test report (good or bad) helps as it helps the team to evaluate whether the patch is ready for merging. None of us have CableCARD tuners as far as I know so the ball is somewhat in the community's court. Anyhow in the meantime I hope the patches will keep rolling. :)

On that topic, it should be possible to update from a patched version of MP 1.3 alpha to MP 1.3 beta. Just make sure you repatch after the update. For safety, make sure you also stop the TV service before upgrading MP (as per the release notes).

Wishing you and your loved ones a safe and merry Christmas,
    mm

zyrod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2012
    Home Country
    mm,

I just tried to do a fresh install of MP1.3b on a clean x86 windows 7 build. The MP1.3b worked but when I tried to apply the patch the TV server failed to started. I attached the log files.

In this thread and in conversation you mentioned the pbda wrappers/proxy. The normal clear QAM tuning off a stand non-prime does not use the same wrapper does it? I ask this because I do not see the same discontinuities on the clear qam as I do with the cable qam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom