CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (3 Viewers)

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    i installed 1.5 and now my HD homerun is not detected in the media portal did I miss a step?

Sorry didnt wait enough now the cards are there and fine.

Sigpi007

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    @mm1352000 ... Totally realize you are working on quite a few things, but was wondering if the 1.6 PR that came out had the recent patch applied to it... or if 1.6 will bring any stability fixes as it might related to the CableCard functionality. There are a few things mentioned in the release notes, but I feel like those changes might further complicate troubleshooting the CableCard stuff.

Things have been working okay here. Had a few momentary power outages from storms... that didn't play well with the Ceton ethernet tuner. The tuners don't appropriately get unlocked, and I get a lot of "cannot create graph" messages when this happens. Not sure what can be done for this.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Sigpi007

Totally realize you are working on quite a few things, but was wondering if the 1.6 PR that came out had the recent patch applied to it... or if 1.6 will bring any stability fixes as it might related to the CableCard functionality. There are a few things mentioned in the release notes, but I feel like those changes might further complicate troubleshooting the CableCard stuff.
    No, those updates are not in MP 1.6. I've been pretty "hands-off" with 1.6. In fact we have put the TV Server under code freeze for all but the most essential fixes so we can focus as much as possible on the next generation version.

Things have been working okay here. Had a few momentary power outages from storms... that didn't play well with the Ceton ethernet tuner. The tuners don't appropriately get unlocked, and I get a lot of "cannot create graph" messages when this happens. Not sure what can be done for this.
    I don't think there is anything I can do if the PC loses power and the tuners don't get unlocked as a consequence.
    In general, without seeing the log files I can't make any sensible comments about what might actually be going on under the hood. In practise I'm in a tough position. Even if I was able to find and fix a problem, I would not be able to get the fix into a release until the next generation version of TV Server is released... and I'm not able to provide updates for all the patches I've released if there are new versions of MediaPortal coming out every few months.

mm

Sigpi007

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    Thanks mm for the quick response. I can wait till next TV server version. Was just trying to figure out if I should upgrade.

Out of curiosity, is the next TV server (TVE 3.5?) version going to be released as part MP2 or sooner than that?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There exists already a TVE35 version for MP2 Alpha 3, but this one doesn't have CableCARD support in yet and is not compatible with Win 8.1.

I expect a new build for MP2 Alpha 4, which might be released at end of this year.

Brett K

November 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Hello, I'm having a few problems with MP 1.5 and HDhomerun prime and Comcast cable card. The tuners work fine on XBMC. I've seen people have similar issues which they were able to resolve but I'm stuck. On my vista computer MP initially found the 3 tuners with 6 entries, 3 of which began with the Silicon Dust... which is the wrapper created for the clear QAM channels and the HDHomerun tuners were seen although instead of type=ATSC it said unkown. I removed those and was hoping they'd be resanned properly although now they are not found. Then I tried the install on a Win 8 laptop and the tuners are found but I get "ATSC: scanning digital cable, out-of-band service information" even with all firewalls and antivirus disabled. Any ideas?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Brett :)

...and the HDHomerun tuners were seen although instead of type=ATSC it said unkown. I removed those and was hoping they'd be resanned properly although now they are not found.
    As per the first post, if the tuners are recognised as unknown, try simply re-opening TV Server configuration.
    The TV service (which runs in the background all the time) is always listening/looking for tuners. It normally takes a few seconds for it to find your tuners. TV Server configuration asks the TV service which tuners it knows about once on startup. After that, the list of tuners that you'll see is locked in. In other words, if TV Server configuration is started before the TV service has detected your tuners, they will be listed as unknown (or not listed at all) until you re-open TV Server configuration.
    We know this is not the most user-friendly. It is on the list for improvement in future.

Then I tried the install on a Win 8 laptop and the tuners are found but I get "ATSC: scanning digital cable, out-of-band service information" even with all firewalls and antivirus disabled.
    That message is normal. :)
    If you've set the SDT/VCT timeout as instructed in the first post, when you start scanning you'll see that message... then it will appear like nothing is happening for maybe 5 minutes... then (if everything has worked correctly) all your channels will be listed. The message means "I'm starting to scan, everything is fine, please be patient for a bit...".

mm

Charles Trajcik Jr

December 19, 2013
    Home Country
    Hello. I installed MP 1.5 yesterday(fresh) and I am having an issue with the TV-SERVER linking to my CETON PCIe6 TUNER. When I reboot my HTPC and go into the TV-SERVER they show up, but after I reset the server they come back as unknown every time. They only show up after I reboot. I'm not having any problems with WMC. I'm running WIN7 64. Help would really be appreciated.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Charles :)

When I reboot my HTPC and go into the TV-SERVER they show up, but after I reset the server they come back as unknown every time. They only show up after I reboot.
    I think there is probably nothing wrong. Let me explain why...
    TV Server is constantly "listening" for tuners being connected or disconnected. TV Server configuration will show you the list of tuners that TV Server knows about at the time you open TV Server configuration. TV Server configuration does not refresh the list after it has been opened; to refresh the list you simply have to reopen TV Server configuration. In other words, what I'm saying to you is that TV Server has probably detected your tuners but TV Server configuration is showing them as "unknown" because they hadn't been detected at the time you opened TV Server configuration.

Does that make sense?

In one sentence: try reopening TV Server configuration instead of rebooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom