CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (3 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Answering this thread:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/unable-to-scan-channels-with-cablecard.123406/

Hello. I just installed MP 1.5 2 days ago and I'm having problems scanning in my digital channels. Every time I do the scan I get no channels scanned. I changed the scan time to 10 minutes(600 sec) and still nothing. I'm using CENTON PCIe6 with a Cablecard. It works with WMC. Anything else I can try?
    You haven't really told us enough to be sure of the problem. For that we would need log files, as requested in the first post:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

If I were forced to make a blind guess, I'd say the problem could be that you have an active firewall which is blocking TV Server from receiving channel information from the tuner. Think of CableCARD tuners as if they were connected via a network interface... because even USB and PCIe CableCARD tuners are actually seen that way by TV Server (and WMC, N-PVR, SageDCT etc.).

mm

Charles Trajcik Jr

December 19, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I had to shutdown the firewall and A/V software so the tuners would be seen. So it's not them. And it works with WMC.
    I'm at work now. I will post the logs when I get home in the am. Thank you for helping!

Charles Trajcik Jr

December 19, 2013
    Home Country
    Well I gave it another try today and wouldn't you know it the scan worked!!:ROFLMAO: I didn't do anything different. I was able to scan on all 6 tuners and set my channels! Now I have to figure out how to setup the EPG. One step at a time... I so happy this is coming together because MP looks to be the best out there!

Charles Trajcik Jr

December 19, 2013
    Home Country
    @mm1352000... I would like to say thank you for all that you have done on this project! I know that you and all of the other people that have worked on this don't really get much in the way of salary. Except for the occasional donations. It takes special kinds of people to give their time and expertise, so many others can reap the rewards of a top notch product. I have always wanted to build a HTPC but never had the money or time to do it. But I finally decided to do so and thanks to you guys the final piece is almost complete. THANK YOU!!!;)

Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz (4.4GHz Turbo)
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
    Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe
    AMD Radeon™ RP1866 Performance Series 16GB
    SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III (SSD) (BOOT)
    WD BLACK SERIES WD4003FZEX 4TB 7200 RPM (DVR)
    WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM (VIDEOS)
    Rosewill RHRC-11002 Windows 7 Certified MCE IR Remote Controller
    ASUS Black 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM SATA Blu-ray Burner
    MEDIAPORTAL 1.5

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Happy new year everyone! :)

Long time no post, I know. I'm reviving this thread in the hopes that I'll get some testers for the attached patch.

In one sentence, the patch is a potential solution for slow CableCARD tuner detection.

TV Server configuration lists tuners that haven't yet been detected as type "unknown". When a CableCARD tuner is detected, it will be listed as type "ATSC".

In normal conditions, TV Server should detect all available CableCARD tuners within the first 10 seconds after starting up.

If you see TV Server:
    • taking longer than 10 seconds to detect your tuners
    • detecting only some of your tuners
    • detecting, losing, then redetecting your tuners
    • randomly stopping live TV or recordings... but TV works fine when you attempt to start it again
    ...then this patch might help you.

The patch is compatible with the previous CableCARD tuner patches for MP 1.3 and 1.4 as well as the baked in CableCARD tuner support in MP 1.5 and newer. It should continue to be compatible with future releases for the foreseeable future.

Installation instructions:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Go to the "manual control" section.
    3. Click "stop service".
    4. Open Windows Explorer.
    5. Navigate to the TV Server install directory - typically c:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server.
    6. Take a backup of:
      • HttpServer.dll
      • MediaPortal.Utilities.dll
      • UPnP.dll
    7. Download and extract the attached replacement DLLs into your TV Server install directory.
    8. In TV Server configuration, click "start service".
    Feedback welcome... both on the patch and any other CableCARD related issues you may have noticed over the last 3 months or so.

Best regards,
    mm

Attachments

• CableCARD_tuner_detection.zip
      195.9 KB

Sigpi007

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    Same here... happy to test... but have recently upgraded to MP 1.6 and MySQL 5.6. Just checking to make sure there are no conflicts with this config.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Same here... happy to test... but have recently upgraded to MP 1.6 and MySQL 5.6. Just checking to make sure there are no conflicts with this config.
    No conflicts. :)
    As previously indicated, this patch is backwards and forwards compatible with every MP version or patch which supports CableCARD tuners.

mguebert

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2010
    Home Country
    MM1352000,

So far I can report that the tuner detection is a lot faster and better. I did have a problemm but it was the tuner that was locked up. Restarted the ceton tuner and they came back immediately. So it also seems that the changes your patch made along with RTSP has so far knock on wood stopped the freezing. I will keep monitoring the situation but so far several shows on more than one client have been watched with no freezes and only a couple of quick hiccups which I think is the timeshift file rolling over, it always was at commercial so who cares right :)

Sigpi007

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    Patch applied... Working well! Tuner detection was quick (to a Ceton Eth 6... Over 1000mbps Ethernet connection). No comments on RTSP, as I THINK my 2nd client is connecting to the TV server using UNC. Will check out settings over the weekend.

Overall... The cablecard functionality has been quicker and stable since upgrading to MP 1.6 and InnoDB. This patch will just make it even better. Really grateful for the work here mm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom