CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (4 Viewers)

sigma957

September 13, 2017
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Thanks for the reply. I checked and both the TV Server and Setup program are allowed access in Windows Firewall. To be safe, however, I disabled firewall and it didn't make any difference. I have attached the log files.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, odd! Nothing stands out as obviously wrong in the log files.

How would you feel about a quick TeamViewer session?

jachin99

Portal Member
    September 3, 2017
    Home Country
    I'm trying to set up my primes with the tv4home what 2011 addin. I'm having issues with MP tv server not seeing my tuners. I have added the dll files to my MP TV server directory but haven't had any luck. I should also say that there were no original files to replace and these files we're new additions to my MP TV server directory

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @jachin99
    I should also say that there were no original files to replace and these files we're new additions to my MP TV server directory
    This is a critical observation. There should be original files. The fact that there's not suggests either:
    1. That your MediaPortal TV Server installation was not successful, OR...
    2. That you've made a mistake when following the instructions, OR...
    3. That you're attempting to apply the patch to an incompatible installation (eg. MediaPortal 2).
    Please start a new thread in the relevant section of the forum and supply full log files (as per the usual support process expectations). That's going to be the best way to get assistance.

mrceolla

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2010
    Hi,

I've been a long-time user of MP for OTA DVR. I am now trying to get my Dad switched over from WMC to MP, and am having trouble eliminating "Unknown" channels with his HDHomeRun Prime CableCard Tuner. First off, apologies for no logs but I need to arrange to connect remotely to do anything on his machine. I have a few preliminary questions. Well, mainly just one:

Should I be able to eliminate all "Unknown" channels that appear after a channel scan?

Or, are "Unknown" channels just the channels with the "copy once" flag and I can't get them no matter what?

I always deleted All channels from the main Channels tab prior to rescanning. Do I need to delete anywhere else?

I understand the copy flag issues with cable content and that WMC is able to utilize more channels since they pay for licensing, so we expect not to be able to get all the same channels as WMC.

The HDHR App finds 500+ channels. MP, 329 with 75 (always 75) being unknown.

We've applied patch.

Let me know if I'm missing anything obvious. If not I will gather logs the next time I log into his machine in an attempt to get this to work.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jmvaughn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Home Country
    Hi mrceolla,

I use an HDHR Prime as well. It works absolutely flawlessly with MP, once you've got it setup.

Perhaps this is a bit too obvious, but can't you just open the TV Server configuration, click TV Channels at left, and then uncheck any channels you don't want to see in the right-hand panel?

Just FYI, I use SchedulesDirect, which you have to pay for but is very easy to set up and works well. To eliminate extra channels, I also go into my account with SchedulesDirect and de-select all the stuff I don't want. I've also got the SchedulesDirect Plugin inside TV Server set so that it does not add channels automatically (look in the Advanced Options tab in the SD plugin section).

Hope that helps. Good luck :)

John

mrceolla

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2010
    Thank you for the input jmvaughn. I should have explained a little better. I know how to eliminate channels from the on-screen guide and get EPG setup. My problem is that some of the channels appear as "Unknown ..." in the raw channel list in TV Server setup after a channel scan, not in the on-screen guide. Never mind the guide for now. Everything I've read so far leads me to believe I should see zero unknown channels in TV Server setup after a channel scan. If I see any unknowns, I'm supposed to up the SDT/VCT timeout limit, delete all channels, and try again. Yet no matter how many times I do this I still get 75 unknown channels every time. I've even disabled firewall. It sounded like even the channels that are "copy once" should show up correctly in the channel list even if MP can't record/view them.

Does that make more sense?

Is it normal and expected to have some unknown channels after a channel scan?

Or is something wrong and my next step should be to capture logs and post them here?

I would've posted logs already but since I don't have immediate access to the machine in question I wanted to confirm if I in fact have a problem or if this is normal before I go through the log gathering process.

Thanks!

mrceolla

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2010
    I think I finally found what I was looking for. At least part of it. It looks like I don't have a problem regarding "Unknown" channels after all.

Scan ATSC

"After the scan completes, check the TV Channels list. Some channels do not have names so will be named "Unknown...", however the vast majority (80%+) of your channels should have correct names and numbers. If this is not the case (ie. you have a lot of channels named "Unknown...") it might mean that the scan didn't have long enough to grab all the channel information from the CableCARD. Ensure you set the SDT/VCT timeout to at least 120 seconds as instructed above, and consider increasing the value (anything more than 300 seconds is excessive and will not help) and rescanning to get correct channel information. If you decide to rescan, make sure you delete all channels first because TV Server does not update channel names after the channels have been created."

I thought ATSC was OTA only so didn't think to check here. I guess that explains why we always have 75 unknown channels. Doesn't matter I guess. 80% or so of the channels show up as DRM'd in the HDHR web interface which means MP can't play or record them? If that is true, MP won't work for my Dad. He has Spectrum in SE Wisconsin and all of the good channels, not even premium (ie. Discovery) are DRM's. Does satellite TV and associated PC tuner usually offer less DRM restrictions? Or is it the same and this is strictly a software thing?

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    Jumping in here at the end... Windows 7 Home Premium had Windows Media Center which apparently has worked FINE for your Dad's DRM channels! My thought using MP is to get away from WMC since M$ no longer supports WMC -- I thought they were doing a Silverlight app which mentions DRM, but how/with what applications or am I completely misunderstanding what Silverlight is to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom