CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (1 Viewer)

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    CodeMonkey, he is using my PCIe card to do the testing.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Though thinking about it more, it really shouldn't matter which one as long as the Ceton drivers allow access from DirectShow.

Well... not exactly.
    The Ceton drivers don't allow access from DirectShow. DirectShow interop is done differently depending on the implementation.

For PBDA, we rely on MS PBDA proxy filters. These are the same filters that I assume WMC uses, so any OCUR CableCARD tuner that works in WMC would work with them. They present a BDA source filter to the OS, which can be connected up in an almost-standard BDA filter graph (network provider->source filter-> etc. etc. etc.). There is a bit of special handling, but not too much. The problem with the proxy interface/filter is that it isn't available in a WOW64 environment, and that is the reason why we had issues with 64 bit support.

For native DRI/UPnP support, I'm using a generic RTSP source filter from -->here<--. I pass it the UPnP AVTransport stream URL and hey presto - lights, camera, ACTION! To get the URL you have to discover the device and interact with it a little. That is done with the help of the MP2 UPnP library.

Actually, in both cases figuring out that the device is an OCUR tuner that we support currently boils down to a hard-coded list. This is because there doesn't seem to be any way to determine that the BDA source filter is an OCUR tuner, and the UPnP library will discover any UPnP device on the network (laptops, routers, AV receivers... you name it).

The hard-coded lists are here:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...ibrary/Implementations/DeviceDetector.cs#L463
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...ibrary/Implementations/DeviceDetector.cs#L685

As you can see, we currently only support the Prime and the InfiniTV. I'm not sure if the USB InfiniTV would match, but I know the PCIe one definitely does. Anyhow, getting the USB InfiniTV and/or the Hauppauge DCR-2560 to be detected is as simple as adding the correct name prefix for the BDA source filter and/or the UPnP root device friendly name to those lists.

In other words... buy any tuner that you want, and I should hopefully be able to make it work. :)

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    Though thinking about it more, it really shouldn't matter which one as long as the Ceton drivers allow access from DirectShow.

Well... not exactly.
    The Ceton drivers don't allow access from DirectShow. DirectShow interop is done differently depending on the implementation.

For PBDA, we rely on MS PBDA proxy filters. These are the same filters that I assume WMC uses, so any OCUR CableCARD tuner that works in WMC would work with them. They present a BDA source filter to the OS, which can be connected up in an almost-standard BDA filter graph (network provider->source filter-> etc. etc. etc.). There is a bit of special handling, but not too much. The problem with the proxy interface/filter is that it isn't available in a WOW64 environment, and that is the reason why we had issues with 64 bit support.

For native DRI/UPnP support, I'm using a generic RTSP source filter from -->here<--. I pass it the UPnP AVTransport stream URL and hey presto - lights, camera, ACTION! To get the URL you have to discover the device and interact with it a little. That is done with the help of the MP2 UPnP library.

Actually, in both cases figuring out that the device is an OCUR tuner that we support currently boils down to a hard-coded list. This is because there doesn't seem to be any way to determine that the BDA source filter is an OCUR tuner, and the UPnP library will discover any UPnP device on the network (laptops, routers, AV receivers... you name it).

The hard-coded lists are here:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...ibrary/Implementations/DeviceDetector.cs#L463
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...ibrary/Implementations/DeviceDetector.cs#L685

As you can see, we currently only support the Prime and the InfiniTV. I'm not sure if the USB InfiniTV would match, but I know the PCIe one definitely does. Anyhow, getting the USB InfiniTV and/or the Hauppauge DCR-2560 to be detected is as simple as adding the correct name prefix for the BDA source filter and/or the UPnP root device friendly name to those lists.

In other words... buy any tuner that you want, and I should hopefully be able to make it work. :)
    Yeah I saw this in the code yesterday. I like too that you put the word "cablecard" in comments around your code changes so a simple search found most of the code changes :)

I am familiar with (P)BDA graph filters from another open source project I have worked on. But I've never accessed any kind of DVB card via UPnP etc. before. Wild stuff :)

I have accessed USB DVB devices before (Genpix Skywalker for example) from BDA and there is no difference from PCI cards at that level. So I would fully expect the Ceton "name" as reported via BDA for the USB model to also start with "Ceton InfiniTV" and work. But of course there is only one way to really find out :)

Last edited:

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    I have to say good work. I have been out of it for awhile and just now revising the forum again. I am exicted with the progress and I want to say a great thanks out to anyone that has worked on this project and especially mm1352000.

Abjex

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Hello everyone, I just wanted to thank everyone in advance for your hard work on getting cablecard working with mediaportal.
    I'm new to mediaportal, actually have yet to install it but I do have a ceton infiinitv4 (pcie), I recently had my main gamer/everyday use pc installed with the infinitv4 and windows 7 pro 64bit but decided i wanted to upgrade to windows 8 pro 64bit and with me being impatient, i did not check if what i needed was supported in 8. I had my infinitv4 setup with 3 tuners on my main pc and 1 set aside for a laptop.
    I have multiple computers and spare parts laying around so testing on different O.S.'s is not a problem, except i really hate 32bit. but i'll deal.
    I have comcast/ xfinity and i'm pretty sure i'm free to copy all but hbo, showtime, max and the other "premium" channels. actually i can copy those once, but only on the pc that recorded it.
    There was soo many channels on this infinitv4, i was soo impressed with it but lack of network support in 8 is crazy.

So let me know if i can help in any way.

Last edited:

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    Actually Abjex, you are coming to the party just in time. We are getting some more detailed and higher level of direct help from the manufacturer's developers. I think you will be surprised how soon we might have a solution for you. Granted... what we first release will be a test patch that everyone here can help by trying it out. Ceton or SiliconDust or any other CC device can use the forthcoming patch. Just give us some feedback and it will all be worth it =)

As for how soon, I can have a better answer to that come Monday. No telling what a weekend of development with the support of the device developers can yield But I am hopeful for some very exciting results.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again everyone

Time for another progress update! :)

It is almost 11pm on Sunday night here in New Zealand and I'm exhausted. It feels like I've been working on CableCARD support for every free hour for the last three weeks. If you've been following my updates you'll know we really wanted to have a beta release ready to go for y'all by the end of this week. Well, I'm sorry to say we're just not ready yet. :(

Referring back to our TODO list -->here<--...
    We're done with item 1 - yay! :D
    I'd say we're about half way done with item 2, and we've also done a little bit of item 3.

So what is the hold up?
    Well, mainly it is that item 2 is taking longer than I thought it would.
    In the last few days we also had an issue with stuttering streaming that had to be dealt with (nobody likes stuttering, right?!? ;)). That set us back a little.
    There were also a few other general loose ends and things that needed to be tidied up that I didn't anticipate, and that set us back a little more.

So yeah...
    I'm sorry the news is not exactly what you were probably hoping for, and I'm disappointed in myself for not being able to deliver the goods.
    Having said that, you definitely deserve to know what is going on!
    We are still making steady progress and the end is in sight... but I probably shouldn't set a date again - surprises are better, right? :p

Keep both eyes on this thread for more updates, coming your way... soon! ;)
    mm

mediacowboy

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2012
    Texas
    Home Country
    Don't be to hard on yourself mm. I don't now about anyone else but I would rather you miss the date and it be correct and working, then for you to hit the date and it be junk. Thank you for working on this. Also don't burn yourself out. As with people keep saying about MP2 it will be ready when it is ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom