Call for tester for 1.4.0 features and fixes (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Logs look good. Interesting there that is an Error.log. That should not be there. But cosmetic issue. Probably because I used Log.Error during the exception. I assumed it will only log a single line.

Anyone out there with suspend/resume issues left?

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Always using a custom build ;-) are the changes from today regarding resume already in git?

Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

ripk

Portal Member
    April 13, 2009
    With your build, everything seems to be the same, i.e. on HDMI disconnect, the MePo collapses to 1024x768 at the secondary LCD, but then on HDMI reconnect, the MePo is restored in the same (1024x768) resolution on the TV BUT now I'm unable to force it to full screen anymore, just as if it constantly remembers TV to have 1024x768 as the max resolution
    It worked before for you because MP constantly resets the D3D device. You exploited that bug. This was fixed. MP did more or less a restart here without re-loading the plugins.

That you are stuck in 1024x768 is strange. Seems to be caused by your iMon. Windows itself reports that 1920x1080 is the resolution. MP tries to resize itself to that resolution but cannot because iMon prevents it. No error message beause of this by Windows I can track.

In general MP does not support switching of resolution, without a restart. Never was different.

Windows never gets information about a resolution change to 800x600. Somehow I feel this is an specific iMon software problem. I don't have such a device to test.

What are you exactly using? I would need such a device for testing what exactly is happening. I think these things are cheap, so no biggie to buy one. Or does someone have a spare one for me?

I'm using the Moneual MonCaso 972 case that has a 7" LCD mounted on it, which works literally as a second monitor - it has a VGA analog connector that connect to the motherboard (on-board video, HDMI out + VGA out). The LCD is a Soundgraph OEM LCD + IR receiver combo and the drivers come from Soundgraph, together with the iMon manager.

The native resolution of the LCD is 1024x768 but for some reason the iMon runs it at 800x600 to display the information.

Now, whenever I disconnect the HDMI out, everything that was located on the 'primary' screen (HDMI->TV), collapses back to the 'secondary' VGA-connected LCD. I *guess* that due to the nature of video drivers (onboard video is an Nvidia 8000-series GPU) and/or windows requirements, the native resolution is activated on the LCD (1024x768) to accommodate as much as possible what was located on the larger (TV) display.

What I see happens with MePo is that it DOES resize to the native LCD size and fills up the LCD).

Now, when I restore the HDMI, up to and including the 1.3.0 version:

- LCD reverts to 800x600
    - content of the primary display (MePo) return to TV, with MePo at 124x768 in top-left

when I alt-enter, I switch to windowed mode, MePo adapts, another switch back to windowless mode, MePo stretches back to the 1080p.

With your version everything is the same except the very last step, where MePo stretches again only to 1024x768.

I will documment it with photos over the weekend to make it clearer. If there's any windows messages log that I can run to help you detect the changes in resolutions on both monitors, I'd be happy to do it...

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Alt-Enter worked for you before because MP disposed of all textures, devices etc. and more or less did a restart without loading plugins. This has been fixed.

The problem is that Windows moved MP to the second screen, because this became the primary when your TV was disconnected. And the resizing is done by Windows as a window is never allowed to be larger then the available screen size. MP does nothing here.

When MP later gets the message that 1920x1080 are back it tries to resize but cannot as it is on the screen with a max resolution of 1024x768 and Windows does allow any window to be larger than the screen size.

Only after that Windows moves MP back to the other screen because it became the primary again. But MP is not aware of this.

For the next build I'll add some more debug logging regarding various messages that might indicate what Windows tells MP. If we probably re-check on a certain message some display related stuff we might find out that a higher resolution is available and can MP can resize in fullscren mode.

Can you do a quick test if you can resize MP in windowed mode? Forget fullscreen for testing at the moment. Instead of fullscreen run a maximized window. Try once with the maximize button of windows and the other by maximizing the window as far as possible and let me know how MP behaved. No logs needed here. They don't tell me what I need to know.

This needs a few iterations to get it right. As said cannot reproduce this as I do not have such a setup. So I need your help here collecting the information and trying out some builds for me.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok hadn't seen any commits regarding standby resume problems that's why I asked.

ripk

Portal Member
    April 13, 2009
    Alt-Enter worked for you before because MP disposed of all textures, devices etc. and more or less did a restart without loading plugins. This has been fixed.

The problem is that Windows moved MP to the second screen, because this became the primary when your TV was disconnected. And the resizing is done by Windows as a window is never allowed to be larger then the available screen size. MP does nothing here.

When MP later gets the message that 1920x1080 are back it tries to resize but cannot as it is on the screen with a max resolution of 1024x768 and Windows does allow any window to be larger than the screen size.

Only after that Windows moves MP back to the other screen because it became the primary again. But MP is not aware of this.

For the next build I'll add some more debug logging regarding various messages that might indicate what Windows tells MP. If we probably re-check on a certain message some display related stuff we might find out that a higher resolution is available and can MP can resize in fullscren mode.

Can you do a quick test if you can resize MP in windowed mode? Forget fullscreen for testing at the moment. Instead of fullscreen run a maximized window. Try once with the maximize button of windows and the other by maximizing the window as far as possible and let me know how MP behaved. No logs needed here. They don't tell me what I need to know.

This needs a few iterations to get it right. As said cannot reproduce this as I do not have such a setup. So I need your help here collecting the information and trying out some builds for me.

Here are the two series of photos I took this morning, one with vanilla 1.3.0 and the other with your build (apologies for the quality of some pictures, I took them with my cell phone :) ):

1.3.0:

Here is how the secondary display looks like on my case 1_1.3.0_secondary_display.jpg
    After HDMI disconnect, upscale to 1024x768 and secondary becomes primary 2_1.3.0._HDMI_off.jpg iMon display (red box) also goes beserk because it is used to run in 800x600
    HDMI back on again, secondary restores to 800x600 prefectly and primary appears like this: 3_1.3.0_HDMI_on.jpg

alt-enter once: 4_1.3.0_windowed_mode(alt-enter).jpg

and the second time: 5_1.3.0_Fullscreen(second alt-enter).jpg

Scythe - build 15a:

Secondary display starts the same: 1_build15a_secondary_display.jpg

Primary as well: 2_build15a_primary_display.jpg

HDMI disconnect, same behavior as 1.3.0: 3_build15a_HDMI_off.jpg

HDMI back on: 4_build15a_HDMI_on.jpg

alt-enter once: 5_build15a_windowed_mode(alt-enter).jpg

alt-enter the second time: 6_build15a_fullscreen(second alt-enter).jpg

I tried to fiddle with the window in windowed mode and it seems as if the window does not allow any resizing at all. It just stays tiny like that 7_build15a_manual_resize.jpg and the only thing I'm able to do is move it across the screen. Any attempt at resizing just makes the window snap in the top-left corner again, staying the same size. Same thing with maximize button - nothing happens. alt-enter brings it to half TV size again reproducibly, even after manual resize attempts.

Let me know if I can do anything else :)

Last edited:

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think scythe wants you to go into windowed mode before you disconnect HDMI :)
    So do that:
    1. Start MP
    2. Switch to windowed mode (alt + enter)
    3. press the maximize button
    4. HDMI OFF
    5. HDMI ON
    6. report what happen (maybe screenshots again :p) that's pretty nice :)

Second test:
    1. Start MP
    2. Switch to windowed mode (alt + enter)
    3. Resize the window by putting the window in the upper left corner and grab it with the mouse on the right bottom corner to stretch it to the max display size (don't use the maximize button) basically you do what the maximize button does only by hand^^
    4. HDMI OFF
    5. HDMI ON
    6. report what happen

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    6a: try to resize the window. Not Alt-Enter. Just the usual Windows way by dragging on the corners/sides.

I assume it will not work, but I want to make sure.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom