Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (3 Viewers)

amphibem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 28, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Is anyone using the MCE Buddy tool to compress .ts recordings?

I used to use it with Vista MC and it was great. However now it keeps failing with some "Mencoder" error.

I used to just convert analogue recordings in Vista MC so wondering if it's struggling with the digitial recordings..... Keen to hear if anyone else is using it with some sucess?

Well I have never seen this program before, looks good. I'm testing it now on 720p sample, looks like it will be a while.

Update: OK so got the same mencoder error. Can't see an easy way to try a later version of mencoder with this program so i guess we are stuck until MCE Buddy is updated. Obviously this program isn't supposed to be used in MP but there are a couple of people on the MCE Buddy forums who say that that is what they are doing.

I would be very keen to hear about a solution to this, I have been trying and failing for ages to convert the H.264 files from MP into something more useful.

martyyn

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2005
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Hi,
    I have a similar setup to you GA-MA78GM-S2H / HVR2200 / XP SP2 / Mediaportal RC2 I use the PDVD8 Ultra 1830 Codec

If I use the ATI Display drivers from the gigabyte site (v8.457) then TV1,2,3 + HDDEMO are perfect with hardware accleration. But I get decoding errors with C4,TVNZ6+7. If I go on to disable hardware accleration i get perfect on all channels, but occasionally get jitters when the CPU hits 90-100%.

If I load the latest Catalsyt 8.7 Suite drivers then i my XP crashes

If I load ATI Catalyst 8.8Beta Suite drivers then i can decode all channels using hardware acceleration, however i get frequent video glitches making it useless for watching more than 5 minutes of tv.

In answer to your question - I do not find that Mediaportal RC2 behaves differently compared to RC1 with DVB-T. I find it is better for me.
    Thanks kiwijunglist, sometimes just the confirmation thats its working is enough to keep you going :)

Ive had some more time with this today and now have the dvbt channels all working. Im using coreavc at the moment (and v8.452 of the ATI drivers) rather than powerdvd8 simply because I found coreavc pretty efficient for my old system, but now I have a much beefier system specifially built as an htpc Im thinking it might be worth trying powerdvd8 and using the H/A.

For now though Im having issues with the channel changing and the only way to solve it is to always revert to the full guide and always stop the current channel before selecting a new one.

I also find that although the channels are all working the freeviewHD channel is awful. Its not even worth trying to watch its so bad. Would this get any better with powerdvd8 ?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks kiwijunglist, sometimes just the confirmation thats its working is enough to keep you going :)

Ive had some more time with this today and now have the dvbt channels all working. Im using coreavc at the moment (and v8.452 of the ATI drivers) rather than powerdvd8 simply because I found coreavc pretty efficient for my old system, but now I have a much beefier system specifially built as an htpc Im thinking it might be worth trying powerdvd8 and using the H/A.

For now though Im having issues with the channel changing and the only way to solve it is to always revert to the full guide and always stop the current channel before selecting a new one.

I also find that although the channels are all working the freeviewHD channel is awful. Its not even worth trying to watch its so bad. Would this get any better with powerdvd8 ?

CoreAVC uses CPU decoding, maybe your CPU is overloaded.
    Load mediaportal configuration -> General Settings -> Turn off full screen mode
    Then run mediaportal in a window
    Press CTRL+ALT+DEL load taskmgr
    See what cpu useage you have, and if it goes up with Freeview HD

I find that freeview is one of the smoothest channels to watch.

martyyn

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2005
    Wellington, New Zealand
    CoreAVC uses CPU decoding, maybe your CPU is overloaded.
    Load mediaportal configuration -> General Settings -> Turn off full screen mode
    Then run mediaportal in a window
    Press CTRL+ALT+DEL load taskmgr
    See what cpu useage you have, and if it goes up with Freeview HD

I find that freeview is one of the smoothest channels to watch.
    Grunt is not the problem, I have a Quad Core Phenom 9500 with 4Gb of RAM on the GA-MA78GM-S2H its just that when I try to view the freeviewHD channel it takes a fair amount of time opening the screen in the first place and then Im lucky to get a garbled snapshot of the screen with broken clips of noise.

I can watch all the other HD content I have with no problem and the graph looks correct.

I might just try powerdvd8 and see what happens.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Grunt is not the problem, I have a Quad Core Phenom 9500 with 4Gb of RAM on the GA-MA78GM-S2H its just that when I try to view the freeviewHD channel it takes a fair amount of time opening the screen in the first place and then Im lucky to get a garbled snapshot of the screen with broken clips of noise.

I can watch all the other HD content I have with no problem and the graph looks correct.

I might just try powerdvd8 and see what happens.

hmmm. im guessing ur using XP. If you are in vista, you could try uninstalling your ATI drivers and go with v8.7.
    If in XP stay with what you've got (8.7 + XP + 780G = Death)
    I havn't tried CoreAVC so I dunno if it is has known compatability problems with HD Demo channel.
    Other option is to try FFDShow, as you have plenty of CPU on tap.

martyyn

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2005
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Im just installing the powerdvd8 codecs now to see how that goes. I tried ffdshow earlier and couldnt get any video at all. Once I did it was in slow motion and the audio was miles ahead !

Sorry, I shouldve mentioned that Im on XP :)

martyyn

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2005
    Wellington, New Zealand
    thanks for your suggesions mate, Ive got no better with powerdvd8, so Ill have to find something else to try. Interestingly a friend of mine has the exact same setup (hardware and software) and he has the exact opposite to me, I can view all channels except the freevieHD and he can see that nicely but not the others.

handya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    when is tvnz bring out hd shows, other than olimipics

amphibem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 28, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Did anyone else record the Opening Ceremony last night? I recorded it on both TV1 and Sports Extra and both recordings cut out at 3:02hrs. Hence we missed the lighting of the torch :(

Is this a technical limitation in Mediaportal or a setting I need to change? Maybe I should start a new thread on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom