Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (4 Viewers)

AtTimesPerplexed

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2011
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've tried LAV 58.2, LAV 57.0 and MSCodecs without a delay and with DXVA on and off. Prime (don't watch much ChoiceTV) still has the same problems.
    Sometimes I can't resume a half watched recording at all, it just stays blank with audio, no amount of skipping back and forth will fix it, hence trying to find a solution.
    With a delay of 250ms I get the occasional glitch, so have changed it to 500ms and haven't had any problems since.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think it must be MP or TV Server related as I didn't have the problem with earlier versions of MP. I was using MP 1.2.3 a few months ago on the same computer and Choice TV never had any problems. I use separate TV Server and MP Client computers.
    I use a 200ms audio delay in the LAV audio filter since the video is delayed 200ms through the TV. That shouldn't related.

I would be interested to know if you try the TSReader and if it helps Blair.

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I applied the patch and I think it has improved but has not completely disappeared. since 'elementary' has finished we don't record that any longer so less likely to see it, but I think we did record the last couple of episodes and the issue was nowhere near as severe. the delay while it retunes is lil annoying, but when I do the same thing on my TV (via the inbuilt decoder) there's also a lag so I guess they're applying the same concept.
    from memory I've still seen it once or twice, but previously it would be regular so worth the change IMO.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Anyone had issues with the Music Player playing songs at a very low volume, almost inaudible even when Windows mixer has all levels at 100%? I've had this issue since installing 1.4.0. Stop and start a track several times and it sometimes comes right.

I've tried just today changing to WASAPI, changing sound output device, etc, but nothing helps.

More on this issue, I've discovered just executing the Next Track or Previous Track functions resolves the issue and the tracks then play fine. It's always the first play in a folder that doesn't work. Odd that no one else is experiencing it. It's 100% consistent.

I thought it was the USB flash drive, but that just fixed it for that day. Since then we've had intermittent problems with no sound from MusicPlayer and sometimes changing tracks helps and others not. A restart of Windows doesn't help. Right now I can't get any sound from playing music at all. My family have had enough they tell me.

That major issue along with the Choice TV/Prime video issue, and also an issue when closing MP to the system tray, the system tray icon about 50% of time doesn't work - no right-click context menu or double-click. I'm forever having to plug in a mouse to load Task Manager to kill MP and start it again.

I'll have to go back to v1.2.3 which I was using previously and didn't have any of these problems. I might have another try at an MP update next year.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @rlevis
    As far as I can tell you haven't "officially" reported any of these issues (this thread is really the wrong place for such discussions) or provided log files. My point is that things are unlikely to change now, next week, next month or even next year unless you do report...

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @rlevis - it is worth sticking with 1.4, I recommend you un-tick exit to system tray. I'm not sure if it is in JIRA but I think scythe knows about these issues. I was planning on re-reporting in 1.5.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well, if the system tray issue is known, and the Choice TV issue is under investigation, I guess I may be able to find time to help debug the music player problem.

Perhaps it's related to using a Winamp compatible DSP plugin. I've used the same one for 5 years under many versions of MP, but I'll try disabling it as the first step.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Perhaps it's related to using a Winamp compatible DSP plugin. I've used the same one for 5 years under many versions of MP, but I'll try disabling it as the first step.
    Sounds like a good idea. :)
    I don't experience the issue you're describing, and I haven't seen any other reports that are even remotely similar so things like this are the things I'd be looking at. Please remember to grab log files if you want us to assist you - otherwise our hands are tied.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Probably not many people use a Winamp DSP plugin, but I've got a good one I can't really do without called OctiMax 5.1 which isn't available any longer. I removed it today and it's working today, but it could take 2 or 3 days to be sure if that's the issue.

Actually, there has always been an issue in the Winamp DSP implementation in MusicPlayer, or perhaps the BASS.DLL implementation. I've used OctiMax in Winamp and other players that support Winamp DSP plugins for the last 8 or 9 years and had no issues with it, but the same plugin would crash MP with an access violation at least every few hours.

I did send in reports about that but the developer said there must be a bug in the DSP plugin. That's very unlikely. In the end I wrote my own intermediate DSP plugin which loads the Octimax plugin and passes the audio through, trapping all errors and ignoring them. I've used this method for years and it stops MP from crashing. There is the rare audio glitch because the audio isn't processed for a split second, and sometimes a sharp click sound of digital noise.

Anyway, if it all behaves without the DSP, what I should do is modify my plugin to buffer the audio from MP in RAM and send the buffer through Octimax. This will prove if the issue is in the MusicPlayer or the DSP plugin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom