Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (7 Viewers)

blair_haynes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Anyone had issues with the Music Player playing songs at a very low volume, almost inaudible even when Windows mixer has all levels at 100%? I've had this issue since installing 1.4.0. Stop and start a track several times and it sometimes comes right.

I've tried just today changing to WASAPI, changing sound output device, etc, but nothing helps.

More on this issue, I've discovered just executing the Next Track or Previous Track functions resolves the issue and the tracks then play fine. It's always the first play in a folder that doesn't work. Odd that no one else is experiencing it. It's 100% consistent.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Can you try it with debug mode on and all plugins disabled (use watchdog) if you can replicate it like this can you please start a thread in the bug section with your logs? thx.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Anyone had issues with the Music Player playing songs at a very low volume, almost inaudible even when Windows mixer has all levels at 100%? I've had this issue since installing 1.4.0. Stop and start a track several times and it sometimes comes right.

I've tried just today changing to WASAPI, changing sound output device, etc, but nothing helps.

More on this issue, I've discovered just executing the Next Track or Previous Track functions resolves the issue and the tracks then play fine. It's always the first play in a folder that doesn't work. Odd that no one else is experiencing it. It's 100% consistent.

I haven't had time to get debug logs etc, but it appears the problem was to do with a USB flash drive sitting in the computer which had some music on it.

There were other odd behaviors with long pauses. Sometimes MP appeared hung for 30 seconds or more and then suddenly executed a dozen remote control functions pressed previously. This happened a few days ago and I pulled out the USB flash drive as I wanted to plug in a USB keyboard, and it instantly caught up with all the remote presses, and that issue hasn't come back. I also checked the music player and it's playing the music correctly now. So at least we know how to avoid the issue now.

blair_haynes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    thanks heaps.. much appreciated.. that owlsroost is pretty on to it huh?
    have installed and will try it out (prolly wont get a proper workout till tomorrow now).. interesting (to me) that it's worse (well so far, only noticeable) whilst programme content is being broadcast, and not so during adverts. I'd have expected the transmission delays to be consistent among the two.. but who knows..

@rocklander - did this fix the issue with Choice TV and Prime? Have the same issue so wanted to check before I installed the update.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Speaking of Choice TV and sometimes Prime (DVB-T), with 1.4.0, I often go to play a Choice TV recording and it's all black, only audio. After some skipping forward several times, 15 seconds at a time, the video comes back. But skipping forward or back will often cause the same issue during the program, and the video freezes at a specific frame, until more skipping back or forward a few times resolves it. I anyone else experiencing this?

It seems to occur most commonly with Choice TV but I've had the rare issue with Prime. We don't watch much C4 or other SD channels but they all seem to work fine also. Never occurs on the HD channels. Only started occurring after 1.4.0 was installed.

Using all LAV decoders and filters, but I tried changing decoders and filters to Cyberlink and it made no difference. I don't have time to debug it, but just wanted to know if it's a common issue with 1.4.0.

blair_haynes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    See message 3939 in this thread. The problem you are experiencing is what I am talking about.

It seems there is a fix, but was asking the question of rocklander if it worked before I tried.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It seems there is a fix, but was asking the question of rocklander if it worked before I tried.
    Personally I'm still not convinced that the issue is MP related. I don't recall doing anything about the issue... and yet the problem seems recently to be not as severe. Maybe it is that I'm using LAV more than Cyberlink/AC3Filter now. I don't know. In any case, using LAV 0.57 for video and audio, I don't see a serious issue anymore... and I don't see any difference from applying the 250ms buffer setting.

[edit: Switch back to Cyberlink PDVD 10 h.264 video codec, and the problem immediately returns! I note that I'm running XP so I don't get DXVA with LAV (LAV only supports DXVA2, XP is DXVA1, Cyberlink does both). Maybe that is part of the difference.]

Last edited:

blair_haynes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Personally I'm still not convinced that the issue is MP related. I don't recall doing anything about the issue... and yet the problem seems recently to be not as severe. Maybe it is that I'm using LAV more than Cyberlink/AC3Filter now. I don't know. In any case, using LAV 0.57 for video and audio, I don't see a serious issue anymore... and I don't see any difference from applying the 250ms buffer setting.

[edit: Switch back to Cyberlink PDVD 10 h.264 video codec, and the problem immediately returns! I note that I'm running XP so I don't get DXVA with LAV (LAV only supports DXVA2, XP is DXVA1, Cyberlink does both). Maybe that is part of the difference.]

You are right, I've used LAV filters ever since Choice TV has been on and it does seem to get better with the progressive updates. That said, it's still not 100%.

So mm, worth trying the change and reporting back?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So mm, worth trying the change and reporting back?
    For you or for me?
    I mean, for me... well, there is a world of difference between LAV and Cyberlink for me. So in that sense I almost wonder whether I'm actually experiencing the same issue. You probably don't watch this channel (and I don't either) but I find that [when I use Cyberlink] Firstlight shows the problem much worse and much more obviously than Choice, which is worse than Prime. However, when I use LAV... it all seems to be much of a muchness.
    I note, I'm not actually installing the TsReader linked in the post. I'm running an internal release of MP 1.5 pre-release (which gives you some clues about how far away a release is ;) ). The buffering setting was in my registry, so all I did was change from 0 to 250. It appeared to make no difference with LAV - that's no positive or negative difference.

Applying the change is very easy, and you're very unlikely to suffer side effects... so if you're asking whether you should try it I'd say absolutely go for it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom