Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (7 Viewers)

tm19

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2015
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi all!

Just wanted to check in and say "Thank you!" for the NZ Mediaportal Wiki page. I was looking all over the web for help on DVB-T and NZ and EPG and all the other stuff that's needed to get an HTPC off the ground. There still some teething issues to sort, but so far, colour me impressed.

Up to this point I'd been using dedicated PVR boxes (DishTV and MagicTV) and have not had good experiences at all. My goal was to build a small, quiet PC that wouldn't look out of place on an entertainment centre. Here's what I went with:
    • Tuner: TBS6205 DVB-T2/T/C Quad TV Tuner PCIe (short, half height card)
    • Case/PSU: Silverstone Milo ML06 / Silverstone ST30SF
    • Guts: Intel i3-3225, 4GB RAM, ASRock B75M-ITX motherboard (all recycled from an older PC)
    • Quiet cooling: Noctua NH-L9i (cpu), Noctua NF-A8 PWM (case)
    This thing is definitely designed to be seen and not heard. Everything except the tuner card came from local suppliers. I've also ordered an MCE remote via eBay. Played around a bit with aMPdroid - it's not slick, but it'll do in a pinch.

- trev
    Waiatarua-Auckland FreeviewHD

FantomFan

Portal Member
    June 26, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Trev,

Just a couple of questions.
    What Windows version are you running and how have you found the TBS6205?

I'm just out of Christchurch and running 3 USB tuners (two singles and a dual) to cover the available transponders. So a single four tuner card would tidy my system up a bit (even though it's a standard case)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi all!

Just wanted to check in and say "Thank you!" for the NZ Mediaportal Wiki page. I was looking all over the web for help on DVB-T and NZ and EPG and all the other stuff that's needed to get an HTPC off the ground. There still some teething issues to sort, but so far, colour me impressed.

Up to this point I'd been using dedicated PVR boxes (DishTV and MagicTV) and have not had good experiences at all. My goal was to build a small, quiet PC that wouldn't look out of place on an entertainment centre. Here's what I went with:
    • Tuner: TBS6205 DVB-T2/T/C Quad TV Tuner PCIe (short, half height card)
    • Case/PSU: Silverstone Milo ML06 / Silverstone ST30SF
    • Guts: Intel i3-3225, 4GB RAM, ASRock B75M-ITX motherboard (all recycled from an older PC)
    • Quiet cooling: Noctua NH-L9i (cpu), Noctua NF-A8 PWM (case)
    This thing is definitely designed to be seen and not heard. Everything except the tuner card came from local suppliers. I've also ordered an MCE remote via eBay. Played around a bit with aMPdroid - it's not slick, but it'll do in a pinch.

- trev
    Waiatarua-Auckland FreeviewHD

Thanks mate. Feel free to edit the wiki to change or update things. I did an overhaul, but it's a couple of years old now.

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...tion/98_Localization/4_By_Country/New_Zealand

You can login using your forum id/password

tm19

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2015
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi FantomFan,

Running Win8.1, although Win7 would have been fine.

So far so good for the TBS unit (they have Linux drivers too). I only have one PCIe slot on my ITX, so the all-in-one quad tuner was insurance against those odd occasions when we're recording two shows and timeshifting on a third. Ordered it from Hong Kong, and it arrived a few days later. Probably cheaper than buying two twin tuner boards locally.

Hi Trev,

Just a couple of questions.
    What Windows version are you running and how have you found the TBS6205?

I'm just out of Christchurch and running 3 USB tuners (two singles and a dual) to cover the available transponders. So a single four tuner card would tidy my system up a bit (even though it's a standard case)

blair_haynes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So far so good for the TBS unit (they have Linux drivers too). I only have one PCIe slot on my ITX, so the all-in-one quad tuner was insurance against those odd occasions when we're recording two shows and timeshifting on a third. Ordered it from Hong Kong, and it arrived a few days later. Probably cheaper than buying two twin tuner boards locally.

Thanks for the positive note on the TBS card. I have been eyeing this card up for a while now to replace my Hauppauge 2210 dual DVB-T tuner. My system is very similar to yours in that it only has one free PCIe slot and I too run across those occasions when I am recording two shows and trying to watch a third.

Although that said, with the advent of Netflix and other downloaded content we are watching less and less broadcast TV.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Does anyone use the World Weather plugin? I installed this only to show the Tauranga temperature which used to appear in the top-right of the main menu beside the time, but nothing has appeared there for several weeks, perhaps months. Using the Titan Extended skin with MP 1.10.0. Downloaded the latest version of World Weather but didn't help.

Trying to reconfigure the plugin, I use to be able to type Tauranga into the box and click Detect, but it says the location cannot be detected.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Anyone have "The Zone" channel icon? The official places don't appear to have been updated.

Jasmeet_181

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes, its available through the LogoManager plugin. New Zealand support was included in version 1.0.0 and it's now marked as stable in MPEI.

NewZealand0317.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom