Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (3 Viewers)

askelon

Portal Member
July 11, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Depends entirely on what service (ie. Freeview Satellite, Freeview HD (terrestrial), Sky etc.) you're receiving.

Sorry forgot that info this morning! Im using DVB-T so Freeview HD. Off the Waiatarua tower.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Will MP ever support MHEG5?
    Given the previous posts about EPG, I feel that I need to ask you to clarify your question.

I mean, if you're wanting to know whether MP will ever have the ability to grab EPG for Freeview HD/terrestrial in New Zealand then the answer is yes... but it won't be via MHEG5. Freeview now delivers EPG data via a more DVB-compliant mechanism, so there's no need for MP to scrape the MHEG5 EPG application's data as EPG Collector does.

On the other hand, if you're actually aware of what MHEG5 is (ie. a full blown middle-ware framework intended to make it possible to run the same application on a variety of dissimilar devices) and you want MP to support it because you want MP's EPG views etc. to look exactly like a Freeview-approved STB or TV... in that case my answer would be that it's very unlikely. It would be a huge amount of effort, and personally I don't see the value. My own experience of using the guide on Freeview-approved STBs and TVs is that it's sloooow and awkward. I'd never want to emulate that experience in MP.

rlevis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Freeview now delivers EPG data via a more DVB-compliant mechanism
    I forgot that is what you mentioned once before, but when I tried it, nothing useful, so I guess Freeview are not sending anything useful via standard methods.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...but when I tried it, nothing useful, so I guess Freeview are not sending anything useful via standard methods.
    You're mistaken. Freeview are sending full EPG data. However the mechanism they're using is still not entirely standard. MP simply doesn't fully support what they're doing yet. If you tried to use this mechanism with MP now you'd get garbled data as askelon reported.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    do we think we should update the wiki mm ? , i don't currently bother with live tv, but the wiki instructions all use epgcollector.
    No need. As mentioned earlier, my recommendation is to continue using EPGC.

crabbey

May 22, 2017
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey kiwijunglist can I suggest an update to the DVB-T EPG wiki page?

The download link for tvxml.dtd is broken. I googled it and saved the first result as my dtd.

The download link for update.bat is broken. What I did instead was create a Windows scheduled task calling EPG Collector.exe directly. Only problem with that is that I had to save the .ini file in the default directory or else it would not pick it up (is there an option of specifying the ini file when calling the exe?).

Other than that it is a very thorough setup guide I have used numerous times with success.

Cheers to all involved

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom