Can MP2 coexist with MP1 ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Al_Capone, July 18, 2016.

1. Al_Capone
    • Premium Supporter

Al_Capone MP Donator

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Show System Specs
    I would expect two different applications to coexist just fine, but you never know with windows, - so what's the answer ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,400 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Yes and No.

The client side is not critical and both can be installed and run in parallel.

Regarding the server component there may only be one active service as the tuners will be blocked by one and inaccessible to the other. In practice you need to stop and deactivate the MP1 server before installing the MP2 part. Reactivation of MP1 will require shutting off the MP2 server.

4. Al_Capone
    • Premium Supporter

Al_Capone MP Donator

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Show System Specs
    Thank you.
    The server part was obvious, and I would not expect both services to work simultaneously anyway. - Just needed to make sure the application/config paths and files were different... and worst of all, if any "registry" entries ,were the same.

5. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The uninstallers can affect each other too. I think uninstalling MP1 may fully or partially uninstall MP2, or the other way around. Can't remember which.

6. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,400 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Yeah, I thought about mentioning this but thus far I've never tested it myself. From what I've read, the MP1 Uninstaller deletes too much and will remove parts of MP2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. azzuro
    • Team MediaPortal

azzuro Test Group

technician HVAC
    Ratings:
    +4,166 / 13
    Home Country:
    France France
    Show System Specs
    Youcan have both running on your system, like HTPC sourcer say,
    the TV server part will break the use of TV-Engine, so like me you use MP1 TVE and MP2 Server, you must stop TV1 server, install MP2, (disable MP2 Server service) go on plugins folder, remove the TVE folder inside it,
    On windows services setting, go on TVE MP1 server and re-set it to start automaticaly on windows start. ( i think MP2 will set it as disabled)

only one mention, when you update MP1 TVE, the TVE service setting start is set to "disabled", i must correct it every time ... i don't know why !

8. Lehmden
    • Premium Supporter

Lehmden Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +3,618 / 28
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hi.
    A "normal" uninstall of MP1 did not touch any MP2 files. Only if you select "completely uninstall all Team Mediaportal products" in MP1 uninstaller, the whole folders "Team Mediaportal" in Program Files and ProgramData will be deleted and this kills the MP2 (and/or MPTagThat) installation too. The other way round, uninstalling MP2 did not affect any part of MP1 as here there is no such "completely erase" option existing...

9. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,400 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Thank you for clarifying.

I trust that this propoerty of the MP1 (un)inmtaller requires fixing. The installer should remove the two subfolders of the client and server part, but should then test if there is anything else left before deleting the complete parent folder. I have no clue ho to enter an issue in Jira - can somebody please do this so that it can be put on the MP1 ToDo list?

10. Andrew H
    • Premium Supporter

Andrew H MP Donator

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    I'd like to query an update to this thread... it's been 18 months and MP 2.1.3 is the latest. This thread indicated they could reside on the client, but could a MP2 Client read an MP1 TVServer and database, or do these need to be completely separate installs/operations?

I'd like to try MP2 but don't want to have to go through all the CableCard channel setup, reimporting of Movie files (for IMDB metadata) and all my .ts TV files into TV-Series. I'd like to trial-run MP2 while relying on MP1 as my backbone, to be there should MP2 not meet my needs (basically watch TV, record, playback via TV-Series, Movie playback via Moving Pictures). I can't chance the two of them corrupting the database, or not playing well together. I'm really at a loss with the MySQL database stuff and COUNT on the MP application to manage the database for my Server and three clients. Would you suggest I switch, or will MP1 be fine for me in future years?

Thanks

11. spachti

spachti Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +98 / 10
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I would not try it.
    Some time ago there was kind of a hack attempt to make a MP2 client work on a MP1 server. If I remember right there was a try by using MP-extended for that.
    Due to the fact that you don't hear about that anymore, I assume it was (kind of?) a bust:whistle:

Edit:
    What you could try, is, install both, MP1 and 2, you will have to disable the TV service for the version which is NOT running at the moment, as described above.
    JUST remember what mm1352000 said about the de-installation routine.

Last edited: February 1, 2018

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!