Can MP2 coexist with MP1 ? (2 Viewers)

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the reply. I've been reading in the Wiki and located this, appropriately entitled: Getting Started! DOH! :oops:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    but could a MP2 Client read an MP1 TVServer and database,
    No. There is a tiny little chance to connect a MP1 client to a MP2 server (needs lots of fiddling and special knowledge). The other way round is not possible with recent MP2 versions. Many years ago in the early beginning there was an option to use a MP1 TV server via MPExtended. But this was way to limiting the MP2 TV client plugin, so this was abandoned 4 or 5 years ago.

don't want to have to go through all the CableCard channel setup, reimporting of Movie files (for IMDB metadata) and all my .ts TV files into TV-Series.
    TV setup is straight forward and only a matter of a few minutes. You can export all settings in the MP1 TV server config and later import them in the MP2 Tv config. Movies also is no big deal, if you export all your metadata from MovingPictures with the tool "MovPicNfo" into the widely used .nfo files. Those .nfo are read by MP2 (as they are read by Moving Pictures) so not that much hassle here too... The only ugly thing is Series as the MP1 TVSeries plugin did not support any type of external data saving. MP2, Kodi, Plex, NextPVR,... all are supporting .nfo files also for series, but only MPTVSeries did not. To get your series imported into MP2 can be a bit more work then.

should MP2 not meet my needs (basically watch TV, record, playback via TV-Series, Movie playback via Moving Pictures).
    If you can live with different naming then it should meet your needs. MovingPictures and TVSeries are MP1 plugins that are not needed for MP2 as the same (similar) functionality already is build into MP2 without installing any plugins. But you need to learn a lot new things as MP2 is very different compared to MP1. Nearly everything you've learned with MP1 is not usable for MP2 (excerpt for TV as the TV engine is the same). MP2 is more like Kodi, Plex or even WMC than like MP1...

for my Server and three clients. Would you suggest I switch
    This is up to you to decide, but for 3 different clients, MP2 will need much less work to maintain than MP1. In MP2 you only add media one time on one client (no matter which one) and the media are instantly available on every client without any extra work.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the information! I was unaware of the utilities... I'll refer to this thread as I move forward. :)

Users who are viewing this thread