Can't change channels while watching live TV (2 Viewers)

Flexor

March 12, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
MP won't change channels while watching Live TV.

I'm running Win Server 2012 Essentials. Once I select a channel via the EPG and start watching it, all is fine but I can't change the channel using the Channel up/down buttons on the remote (either with a MCE remote or my Logitech Harmony 650 remote). It has worked before with MP but now nothing.

To change channels I can press the Ok button, that brings up a list of what's currently on (good feature!) and I can select a new channel from there, but it's really annoying not being able to change the channel with the channel up/down buttons.

Can anyone assist?

I've attached the log. In the log, this happens at 4.58pm when I first start Live TV and between 4.58pm and 4.59pm is when I tried to change channels with the remote.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

It has worked before with MP but now nothing.
    When did it work in the past, and do you recall when it stopped working?

Can anyone assist?
    Do the F7 and F8 keyboard shortcuts work?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/20_Reference/Keyboard_Shortcuts/2_TV

If they do then the problem is with the remote control configuration/mapping.
    If they don't then something very odd is going on.

I've attached the log...
    Thank you for trying... but this log isn't particularly useful. It would be helpful if you could post full and concurrent log files from MediaPortal and TV Server.

Please:
    1. Use the watchdog with option 1 or 2 to start MP in debug mode.
    2. Start live TV.
    3. Try to use the channel up/down buttons on the remote to change channel.
    4. Close MediaPortal.
    5. Attach the zip file generated by the watchdog in this thread.
    6. If your TV Server is installed on a different PC to MediaPortal, please zip all the TV Server log files (in the folder where you found TVService.log) and attach that zip file too.
    Regards,
    mm

Flexor

March 12, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Ok, thanks!

So, it looks like it must be the remote control mapping. The F7 and F8 buttons work to change the channels.

I just tried a bunch of different options to change the mapping of those keys and I'm totally at a loss. I even tried changing the mapping to do a Key Press of F7 or F8 but that doesn't work either (I may not have entered the correct ASCII key settings either mind you - 00 in the first box and 65 in the second?). No luck. Again I tried both a standard MCE remote that came with my HP Media Centre IR receiver and also my Logitech Harmony 650.

I also noticed that the Skip and Replay buttons don't work on my recorded tv, but that's obviously the lesser problem.

See attached for the full logs now :) I've also turned on the extended mapping for the remote.

Here's the lines in the MP log where I pressed the Channel Up, Channel Down, then Stop buttons:
    [2015-03-15 21:05:34,787] [Log ] [11 ] [INFO ] - MCE: Incoming button command: ChannelUp
    [2015-03-15 21:05:38,267] [Log ] [11 ] [INFO ] - MCE: Incoming button command: ChannelDown
    [2015-03-15 21:05:46,244] [Log ] [11 ] [INFO ] - MCE: Incoming button command: Stop
    [2015-03-15 21:05:46,245] [Log ] [11 ] [INFO ] - MCE: Command "Stop" mapped

Does that help?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So, it looks like it must be the remote control mapping. The F7 and F8 buttons work to change the channels.
    Yep, I'd agree. The log excerpt that you found also seems to back that up.

I just tried a bunch of different options to change the mapping of those keys and I'm totally at a loss. I even tried changing the mapping to do a Key Press of F7 or F8 but that doesn't work either (I may not have entered the correct ASCII key settings either mind you - 00 in the first box and 65 in the second?). No luck. Again I tried both a standard MCE remote that came with my HP Media Centre IR receiver and also my Logitech Harmony 650.
    I think you'd need to be tweaking the mapping in the remotes -> MCE remote mapping section:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...iaPortal_Configuration/8_Remote/11_MCE_Remote

This page describes how to configure a mapping:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Portal_Configuration/8_Remote/Mapping_Buttons

According to the page linked in the wiki:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.keys(v=vs.71).aspx

...the fields should be 0 and 118 for F7, and 0 and 119 for F8.

Does that help?
    Yep, definitely - thanks. :)

Flexor

March 12, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks so much for your help!

Quite embarrassingly, when I rebooted it all started working again without having to do the F7/F8 key presses... you'd think that this wouldn't be an issue on Windows Server 2012 but obviously on some things Microsoft stays true to form :( Unfortunately that's not good for my beloved, as she wants something that just works all the time (and the user account I have MP running on is a standard user and won't let you reboot!)

(ps. I did actually check in the Device Manager first and no hardware/driver errors were showing up!)

Cheers

Flexor

March 12, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hmm, sorry but after another reboot it no longer works! I added the key mapping for F7 & F8 in and still no luck! (the actual keyboard presses do still work though.

Any other ideas? (trying another reboot now of course)

Flexor

March 12, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    This is weird, and I don't think it's a Windows problem - I ran a check again and since MediaPortal is registering the ChannelUp and ChannelDown signals but not recognising the command as 'mapped' then isn't that the fundamental problem?

I've done the mapping to the F7 and F8 keys as suggested (see screen capture attached) and attached another set of log files. It still seems to be picking up the ChannelUp and ChannelDown keys rather than F7 and F8 (or 0,118 and 0,119). Is that correct, or have I done something wrong in the mapping?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      38.1 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, are you sure the mapping "window" condition is right? I would have thought it should be "full screen".

Flexor

March 12, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Just tried it and still no luck. :(

Is there any way to check how the key presses are mapped within the software. You can see in the log that when it gets a key press that is 'mapped' that MP takes an action (but nothing at all for the ChannelUp/Down commands)

[2015-03-18 20:06:00,705] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - MCE: Incoming button command: ChannelUp
    [2015-03-18 20:06:04,056] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - MCE: Incoming button command: ChannelDown
    [2015-03-18 20:06:15,231] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - MCE: Incoming button command: Stop
    [2015-03-18 20:06:15,237] [Log ] [14 ] [INFO ] - MCE: Command "Stop" mapped
    [2015-03-18 20:06:15,258] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - g_Player.doStop() keepTimeShifting = False keepExclusiveModeOn = False
    [2015-03-18 20:06:15,258] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - g_Player.OnStopped()
    [2015-03-18 20:06:15,264] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - RadioRecorded:OnPlayRecordingBackStopped TV D:\PVR\timeshiftbuffer\live6-0.ts.tsbuffer
    [2015-03-18 20:06:15,266] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - TVHome:turn tv off
    [2015-03-18 20:06:15,578] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - TvRecorded:OnPlayRecordingBackStopped TV D:\PVR\timeshiftbuffer\live6-0.ts.tsbuffer
    [2015-03-18 20:06:15,579] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - g_Player.doStop() - stop

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
      Capture2.PNG
      36.8 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom