Can't change channels while watching live TV (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Once I select a channel via the EPG and start watching it, all is fine but I can't change the channel using the Channel up/down buttons on the remote (either with a MCE remote or my Logitech Harmony 650 remote).
    That is the effect that you get if you do not enable the MCE support. Some buttons on the remote work, but others do not. Are you sure that you have enabled MCE support?

(1) Start "MP Config".
    (2) Click "Remotes" in the left side bar.
    (3) Enable "Use Microsoft MCE remote or keyboard" on the "Microsoft MCE" tab.
    (4) Deselect support for any of the other devices on the other tabs.

As you have been editing the MCE mapping, I would suggest that you start afresh. Go to the folder:

C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\

and delete or rename the file "Microsoft MCE.xml". This is so that you can start again with a clean slate, and avoid being perplexed by an xml definition file that may contain errors.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I'm running Win Server 2012 Essentials.
    Is Windows Media Center included with Server Essentials? If WMC is not included, you may be missing the driver for the IR receiver. The HP IR Receiver that you are using is a bog-standard Microsoft MCE-compatible RC6 receiver, so you should be using the Microsoft driver. Go to "Device Manager", expand the "Human Interface Devices" tree, and verify that there is an entry for "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" and that it is working correctly.

I also see from your system specs that you are using a Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner. Another user had problems with this device, because apparently the Hauppauge WinTV software steals some of the button presses; see this post:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/rc6-mce-remote-mapping.129777/#post-1129690
    His problem was solved by installing the Hauppauge drivers, but not the WinTV software. However, he was using the Hauppauge IR receiver, so not directly comparable to your case.

Finally, there are some other applications that steal button presses. Apparently there is something called "iTunes" that does this, and a browser called "Chrome" that does similar things. You need to exit "iTunes" to stop this happening, but exiting "Chrome" is not enough, as it continues to run in the background even though you cannot see it. There is a Chrome option that prevents it running in the background; you need to enbable that option.

Flexor

March 12, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Still no luck I'm afraid. I just tried wiping out the old settings for the remote and started fresh with MCE remote enabled and no other remotes.

WMC isn't included with Server 2012 Essentials and yes I've loaded the windows driver, which is showing as working correctly.

I've also only loaded the Hauppauge drivers and not the WinTV software.

Just checked Chrome and disabled the run in the background but no good. :(

I'll try re-mapping the keys again to see if it works now that I've disabled Chrome - I'll reply to let you know how that went.

I still keep coming back to the MP log file that shows that it's captured the IR command but MP does nothing with it...? That to me says that the actual command is making it's way to MP and that it's a config issue with how MP is recognising and acting on the IR command.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Still no luck I'm afraid.
    :(

I still keep coming back to the MP log file that shows that it's captured the IR command but MP does nothing with it...? That to me says that the actual command is making it's way to MP.
    Yes, I agree; that would be my conclusion too. But I am not familiar with the internals of MP, so you and I may both be drawing the wrong conclusion! :confused:

I cannot think of anything else to suggest at the moment. Perhaps someone else following this thread has some ideas?

Flexor

March 12, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    As a side note, I just tried MP2 and the channel changing works. The EPG isn't too great right now though so it's not really an option to change over to it instead yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom