Can't play recorded TV files (1 Viewer)

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That's correct Vasilic and it is the issue that we've both come up against here.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, that makes more sense... :)... but...

though in the log above the UNC path is much shorter that the limit.
    ^^ this

Chris, please provide full debug logs with the watchdog. The logs you've provided are only at info level and all we can see is:
    [2013-11-19 22:02:53,579] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - TSReaderPlayer play:\\SERVER\Recorded TV\The Mentalist\The Mentalist - 2013-11-19.ts radio:False
    [2013-11-19 22:02:53,579] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - g_Player: ended

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok I will do, but probably not tonight I've got an early start tomorrow in Auckland CBD and the missus is watching TV! What I can say is that I changed the series setup to something shorter (removed the channel group from the front of the file path) and now it works fine across both PCs.

I'm obviously not expecting you to be able to support this issue (not that you guys can't cos you're bloody clever people for doing all this) as I'm running this on Windows Server 2012 R2, an Active Directory in use, DJBlu's modifications to enable the Sky EPG and finally the plugins that shall not be mentioned. I am however interested now in this UNC path being shorter than the absolute windows max path length.

As a final thought before bed, the whole series length is actually quite long (it adds episode, series, name etc.). Is windows capable of truncating this if the data doesn't exist but then keep it as a hidden attribute somewhere as that might push the file path over the limit.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So I can't do a watchdog upload as nothing actually crashes. Set MP client to debug log verbosity. The attached log is the result. It's important to note that TSreader or EVR are never called as the logs haven't updated since last night however you'll note in the attached log that this was run around 5.50pm.

I'm not sure what else you want really.

Just to also say that anything recorded (including the ones I can't play in MP Client) do play from windows explorer by going to the shared drive.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Apologies Chris - I should have read the earlier posts. Didn't realise there was no TsReader log until you just reminded me.

So I can't do a watchdog upload as nothing actually crashes.
    For the record, I guess you must not be aware of the full capabilities of the watchdog:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

In short, you could: open MP via the watchdog/debug-tool link (which automatically sets log level to debug for the "session") using the first option, reproduce the problem (ie. play a recording via UNC), close MP, and the tool will generate a nice easy zip file containing all logs for you to post. :)

The more I think about this and the more I look at these log files the more I think this could be a MediaInfo problem. My guess is that the player doesn't even attempt to play properly because MediaInfo detects duration 0.

Can MediaInfo GUI read the file details properly?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The other thing to say...
    If this is really about file name length, how short do you have to go before it works?
    Your file names seem to be shorter than the ones that worked for thekiwi. It makes no sense to me.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Right so this works fine: \\server\recorded tv\%title%\%title% - %date%[ - %name%]

Generally you can ignore the name bit as it doesn't add anything to the recording.

I'll switch back to the client and do the watchdog... I wasn't aware that you could get it to run without trying to get MP to crash :)[DOUBLEPOST=1384928540][/DOUBLEPOST]ok so here are the watchdog logs.

You'll see that I firstly ran the recorded file that didn't work and then ran one with the reduced file path which does work.

It looks like from the logs MediaInfo is not populating the details correctly on the first one.

Last edited:

ears

Portal Member
    October 7, 2008
    I'm having this issue with fairly default setup. I've only installed it all today - 1.8 - after being away for a while.

After a quick look at the logs, the issue seems a bit more basic than file lengths. On my machine anyway.

If I set up a recording in Mediaportal and ask it to do the whole record every time on this channel thing, the TV server creates a channel folder - so tonight the honourable woman was stored in recordings\bbc2 hd\the honoourable woman\the honourable woman.ts

But when trying to play it on a network client, MP failed, but the file it attempted to play was \\server\recordings\the honourable woman\the honourable woman.ts. It seemed not to take into account that the TV server had stored it in a folder named after the channel it was recorded from.

I'm off to see if I can change this in the TV server settings but this, according to the MP logs, is definitely the issue on my machine. Nothing to do with length of path, more to do with a chunk of the path missing as the client resolves it.

ears

Portal Member
    October 7, 2008
    Well that sorted it for me - just edited series recording settings in TV server to remove the channel folder. Then went into the recordings folders and cut and pasted all the series folders out of the channel folders and into the root recordings folder. Then cleaned up and re-imported recordings in tv server.

Hey presto All recordings work via UNC.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm having this issue with fairly default setup. I've only installed it all today - 1.8 - after being away for a while.

After a quick look at the logs, the issue seems a bit more basic than file lengths. On my machine anyway.

If I set up a recording in Mediaportal and ask it to do the whole record every time on this channel thing, the TV server creates a channel folder - so tonight the honourable woman was stored in recordings\bbc2 hd\the honoourable woman\the honourable woman.ts

But when trying to play it on a network client, MP failed, but the file it attempted to play was \\server\recordings\the honourable woman\the honourable woman.ts. It seemed not to take into account that the TV server had stored it in a folder named after the channel it was recorded from.

I'm off to see if I can change this in the TV server settings but this, according to the MP logs, is definitely the issue on my machine. Nothing to do with length of path, more to do with a chunk of the path missing as the client resolves it.

This is a known issue - see https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/multiseat-unc-setting-series-recordings-issue.126249/ - for another thread about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom