Can't watch any channels, but scan works (1 Viewer)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Right... I've had a bit more time to investigate and it seems like the first difference in the tvservice log between when it was working and now is where it should say "Controller: setup streaming", but instead we get the "invalid class" error.
    On the "3rd party checks" page of Tv Server Config it is saying that the streaming port (554) is "already bound", whatever that means. I can't find anything else using port 554, and so far I've failed to find a port that it's happy with by guesswork (I've tried running tcpview and netstat -ano and looking for gaps but I can't find one that MP is happy with - and 554 doesn't actually seem to be in use). Could this be significant, and in that case any suggestions how I can find a free port?

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Already bound, that sounds like that port is in use by some other program.
    Checking here it says that the port is available and neststat -ano gives me that my tvserver is listening on that.
    But I don't use rtsp for streaming, it's set to unc, perhaps you can try that and see if it works?

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    But I don't use rtsp for streaming, it's set to unc, perhaps you can try that and see if it works?
    It looks like there is no option to change that in the TvServer setup. It always listens on RTSP, but the MP front-end uses UNC by default for single-seat. So I don't think there's a way to stop the tvservice setting up the RTSP port. I can't find any evidence of 554 being used by anything on my machine, and every other port I've tried that appears to be in an empty range is also detected by TvSetup as "already bound". Very odd...

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    The MP TvServer setup seems to "think" all ports are bound, but I'm convinced they aren't really. I suspect that whatever MP uses to check if the port is available is failing, and the failsafe behaviour is to show the "port already bound" message. I wonder what it's trying to do to check if the port is available... I've tried reinstalling the Visual C++ libraries.

(I know I'm spending far too long on this when I should just be reinstalling the whole system, but I feel like I'm too far down the hole to give up now :) )

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    OK, digging through the source now :/
    It seems like the TvSetup doesn't actually check if the port is available - it reads TvControl.RemoteControl.Instance.StreamingPort from the current tvservice instance and if that returns 0 (presumably because it didn't get as far as setting the port up when tvservice started because of the invalid class error) then it assumes "already bound". So that message is a bit of a red herring. Need to look directly at why tvservice can't set up the streaming.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Well I gave in and reinstalled the machine from scratch. All working properly again now, which is good, but a shame I couldn't find out what was actually wrong. Windows updates turned off for now just in case...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom