Certain channels cause MP1.16/1.17/1.18/2.1.2 to crash. 1.15 works fine. (1 Viewer)

drumrob

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 28, 2017
    California
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hey MP Team, thanks for the great work, keep it up! I have found MP to be the only reliable replacement since WMC. But I have had this problem which is preventing me from upgrading:

This happens without exception after installation and scanning for Digital Cable channels when previewing with SetupTV or in MP GUI. All channels work fine except for a couple, which will cause SetupTV or MP GUI to freeze and crash when selected for viewing. I get the error message "SetupTV has stopped working" and the options Debug or Close. Always the same channels. I watch these channels often and don't want to do without them. I have tried every combination of settings for the tuner card in SetupTV, rescanned the channels with different timings (in the General section) with no change. In the Ceton diagnostics app, I am able to confirm that the TV card is successfully tuning the affected channel. In MP, the result is always the same with the same channels, 100% repeatable. I have even tried a clean install of Windows, but no change. MP 1.16, 1.17, 1.18 and 2.1.2 have the same problem. When I revert back to 1.15, everything works fine. I am assuming that there was a change in the MP TV Server starting in MP 1.16. All versions before that worked fine (I started with MP 1.12).

I can stick with MP 1.15, of course, but I would like to be able to upgrade at some point.

Any help appreciated.

Win 10 v. 1709 (Fall Creators Update)
    Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe
    Frontier FiOS digital cable

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It looks like (from the Windows app log) that it's TsReader.ax that is causing the crash (but as the logs are from MP2 there is no TsReader.ax log in there that I can find).

Can you make a short recording (30s to 60s would be fine) of one of the problem channels and upload it somewhere (or attach it here) so that I can download it please?

(TsReader.ax is used by the TV client, so you should be able to record OK even if playback is crashing).

drumrob

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 28, 2017
    California
    Home Country
    Hmmm... the Forum won't allow me to upload a file with a .ts extension... Anywhere else I could upload or send it to?

I forgot to mention that timeshifting continues even after MP or SetupTV has crashed.
    Restarting SetupTV while the previous timeshift is still in progress immediately causes SetupTV to crash.
    I have to manually stop TVService in the Services tab of Windows Task Manager to force timeshifting to stop. Then I have to restart TVService in order to relaunch MP or SetupTV.

Last edited:

drumrob

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 28, 2017
    California
    Home Country
    OK, so I changed the extension to .zip and was able to upload it :D
    It is not a zipped file. Just change the extension from .zip back to .ts
    The recording was made with MP 1.15, though, which I reinstalled before my original post. I can revert back to another version if it would help...

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Thanks for the sample.

I can reproduce the problem with the sample recording - TsReader,ax is crashing with an 'access violation'. I'll investigate...(although I won't have any time to do it before the weekend).

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I believe I've fixed the bug (it's now working OK with the test recording), so please try the attached TsReader.ax (version 4.2.2.39).

To install, replace TsReader.ax in C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal with the new version, after making a backup copy of the original file.

This version *might* work in MP 1.15 (if you wanted to try a quick test before installing MP 1.18 again), but I haven't tested it with MP 1.15 so I don't know for sure.

Attachments

• TsReader_4.2.2.39.zip
      318.5 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom