Change to TV operation with 1.16.0 upgrade (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @joecrow
    I don't know if or why the behaviour changed or who may have changed it... but I agree that if you've enabled the "when entering the TV screen" settings then the behaviour may well be correct.

May I be so bold as to ask: why would you want live TV to start automatically in full screen when selecting TV from the home screen but not have it start automatically when returning from the guide?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @joecrow
    May I be so bold as to ask: why would you want live TV to start automatically in full screen when selecting TV from the home screen but not have it start automatically when returning from the guide?
    Yes of course. I do (obviously) prefer to have TV start up in full-screen when entering from the home screen, or indeed when selecting a program to play from the EPG, regardless of how I got to the EPG, to avoid additional steps when I usually just want to watch TV. I can directly access the EPG and Recording via the sub menu when I need to do something there without watching Live TV. When I stop TV playback and select the EPG from the TV menu it is invariably to view what is on or comming up or to set up a recording, having done so if I press the back button from the EPG (as opposed to selecting a Live TV program to play) I would prefer to go back to the TV menu where I can select a different action, e.g. go to Recorded TV. Going first to full-screen playback of the last played channel just adds further nuisance steps to the navigation of the TV gui. Further I would echo the OP comments that it is counter-intuitive, back (Previous Menu) should go "back" to previous menu;) as I'm sure it used to.
    UPDATE:-
    Just reveiwed how I use the EPG when entering from the TV menu if I decide to continue to watch Live TV I will select the program and press OK to play it directly, from there, if I use the back button I really do not want to play live TV any more.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Further I would echo the OP comments that it is counter-intuitive, back (Previous Menu) should go "back" to previous menu;) as I'm sure it used to.
    The working theory is that MP does go back... however in your case MP immediately transitions to full screen TV because you have those settings enabled. That's why I asked about why you prefer to not have TV start in full screen automatically when you go from guide to TV home. Respectfully, to my mind your expectation seems a bit inconsistent.

[edit: So to be clear, MP is going EPG => TV home => TV on => TV full screen.

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The fact is, until MP V1.15 the status if TV was on or off got saved. With MP V1.16 Live TV always starts when entering TV Home, no matter if it was on or off.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It is strange indeed, but I think there may be a difference in our setups.
    Yes, you are correct. (y) So I have just enabled both of those "autostart" TV settings, and tried the test again, but this time using my "production" system, which is MP 1.12f. This is what I get:

(1) Start on MP "Home" panel.
    (2) Select "TV" using the OK button on the remote (live TV starts fullscreen).
    (3) Press STOP button ("TV Menu" panel is displayed with empty preview screen).
    (4) Press GUIDE button (EPG is displayed).
    (5) Press UP or DOWN button, then BACK button ("TV Menu" is displayed, empty preview).
    (6) Select "TV On" using OK button (live TV is displayed in preview).
    (7) Press GUIDE button (EPG is displayed).
    (8) Press UP or DOWN button, then BACK button (live TV is displayed fullscreen).
    (9) Press BACK button ("TV Menu" is displayed with live TV in preview).

If I have understood the test scenario correctly, this is what you and the original poster have found with MP 1.16, but there would seem to be no change from MP 1.12. :confused:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    (5) Press UP or DOWN button, then BACK button ("TV Menu" is displayed, empty preview).
    (6) Select "TV On" using OK button (live TV is displayed in preview).
    This is the part that is different to what joecrow et. al. are observing.
    They are saying that when TV is stopped: visit the guide, then go back => TV turns back on automatically and goes full screen. They don't want TV to be turned on automatically in this scenario.

(8) Press UP or DOWN button, then BACK button (live TV is displayed fullscreen).
    Mmm, a bit inconsistent, but this has probably always been the case.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The working theory is that MP does go back... however in your case MP immediately transitions to full screen TV because you have those settings enabled. That's why I asked about why you prefer to not have TV start in full screen automatically when you go from guide to TV home. Respectfully, to my mind your expectation seems a bit inconsistent.

[edit: So to be clear, MP is going EPG => TV home => TV on => TV full screen.
    Not sure I understand what you think is inconsistent about having to go through unnecessary navigation steps that have been introduced with this change.

If I have understood the test scenario correctly, this is what you and the original poster have found with MP 1.16, but there would seem to be no change from MP 1.12. :confused:
    -- from CyberSimian in the UK
    The response from mm1352000 has hopefully corrected that. What you described with MP 1.12 steps 1-5 is how I would like 1.16 to be.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Not sure I understand what you think is inconsistent about having to go through unnecessary navigation steps that have been introduced with this change.
    The part that I think is inconsistent is that when you enter TV home, in some cases you want one thing to happen, and in other cases you want a different thing to happen. Right now it seems more consistent because the same thing happens all the time.

[edit: ...and to play the devil's advocate, some people might say that it's an unnecessary navigation step to have to turn on TV and/or select full screen after going back from EPG!]

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think the bottom line here is:- Is there was a valid technical reason for the change of behaviour? If yes then fair enough just let us know what it was. If the change was accidental or for aesthetic/consistency reasons, can we have it changed back or made optional in light of these complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom