Changing to Full HD causes crash of Video Driver (1 Viewer)

Bernie_W

Portal Member
May 16, 2016
Home Country
Germany Germany
Well, I would try to avoid re-installing Win10 at first hand. I have some good, but old TV card which is a bit tricky to install (Fire-DTV).

GPU drivers I tested already the last 6 versions :) No luck.
Before I go the long way for the insider build, I'll try the MP 1.20 version that you suggest tomorrow.

Thanks so much Bastii.

Bernie_W

Portal Member
May 16, 2016
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi Sebastii,

just wanted to share my further findings. I bought a new GPU and added it, but no luck, driver crashed again. The I reinstalled Win 10 (of course creating an image first) with version 1803 and reinstalled 1.20. Still no luck. Still 720 worked, but 1080 crashed the GPU driver. Of course I tested different driver versions for the new GPU, but taking the driver through windows update nor the nvidia driver solved the issue.
Final test was to install an older version of windows - in my case 1703 which worked in the past - and suddenly all was fine! Crazy.

I guess windows changed something concerning the detection of the connected display (in my case the Sony AV receiver connected to a TV). When set to 1080, it seems that windows was not really able to find the attached display and ended up thinking there is no display (maybe a timeout or something that could possibly changed in MP to give it more time?). We saw some indication in the log file where there were some entries looking for \\DISPLAY 8 or others. I had tried of course all possible settings like v-sync, 3D settings etc.
But only changing back to old windows and disabling all these updates solved the issue.

Interesting is also that I have a second PC (same mainboard, just different GPU, also Intel Skylake) connected to a normal PC monitor works flawless with 1.20 and 1803 (latest updates).
So my conclusion would carefully be that the AV receiver causes some faulty reply to the display driver or takes simply too long to switch "something" which causes the driver to crash. Not sure this helps you anyhow for the development. Just wanted to share this.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks for the report, yep it really weird! but may be related to some change in windows!
    Hope all will be working good after all :p

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I guess windows changed something concerning the detection of the connected display (in my case the Sony AV receiver connected to a TV).
    On my Sony TV, one of the HDMI sockets supports "Audio Return Channel" (ARC). I think that this means that I could connect the system like this:

HTPC > (HDMI) > TV > (HDMI/ARC) > AV-AMPLIFIER > LOUDSPEAKERS

If your TV supports HDMI/ARC, re-arranging the connections as above might bypass the problem. The disadvantage is that it uses two HDMI sockets on the TV, whereas your current arrangement uses only one HDMI socket.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom