Channel 4 HD have withdrawn from Freesat UK - EPG solution? (1 Viewer)

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    @ninja 12 and @Gazlad I see that you are using webEPG for CH4 HD which also has a delete option, what are your settings for delete and scheduled time for grabbing?

I think I have webEPG set to grab Channel 4 HD listings at 4 or 5 PM every day , for 8 days worth of listings .

I can check the other settings for you in the morning ( TV is in use at the moment )

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    @Ronski ,

I've had a look at both mine and your settings .

Disable XMLTV / WEB epg for the moment .
    Try to get the rest of the channel listings working OTA first -

In your MediaPortal Radio EPG grabber , you have only ticked the " Freesat Info " channel , leave this as is .

Leave all of the channels in the TV EPG grabber unselected .

Do not tick the box that says "Store data only for the selected channels "

In your MediaPortal Radio EPG grabber you have selected a load of languages . I do not have any selected .

Deselect all of them for the moment ( make sure there are no languages ticked in the TV epg tab as well ) , then click "Refresh DVB EPG " from the manual control tab , let it finish then check your EPG in Mediaportal .

Make sure you have selected the "All channels " tab -

refresh.jpg

In WebEPG , I do not have the "delete programme info " option ticked , and I have it set to grab the epg listings every day at 5pm .

Are you going to stick with XML TV for Channel 4 or are you going to try WebEPG ?

I can upload my settings for WEB EPG if you want to try it , but I'd try and get the OTA guide working first for the rest of the channels and only use WEB EPG for Channel 4HD .

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think what might be happening is I have XMLTV set to delete the guide on import, which is recommended, but I suspect it's deleting the entire EPG rather than just CH4 HD.
    It seems strange that XmlTv does not update existing entries on import, but instead discards the new information and retains the old. Perhaps there is a reason it acts this way, but I cannot think of one. Does XmlTv have settings to:

(1) Cause it to replace existing entries, or
    (2) Delete the entries only for the channels being imported.

If it does not have either setting, you either need to use XmlTv to obtain the entire EPG, or use some other tool that will update existing entries or replace only the channels being imported (WebEpg perhaps?)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    @ninja 12 thanks very much for taking the time to write a detailed reply.

I've had XMLtv disabled all week and the guide for the other channels has been updating, I did enable XML TV last night to run at 1am this morning, checking the guide just now it was complete. I have made some adjustments as detailed in your post (I did have BBC 1 HD & ITV HD ticked).

I think it would be prudent to switch to using WEB EPG, as it is self contained within Mediaportal, XMLTV relies on a scheduled task and external programs to work. So if you could post you're settings it would be very helpful.

@CyberSimian

I'm going to switch to WEB EPG for CH4 HD, but both WEB EPG and XMLTV both have an option to delete old programs before import, and both recommend it is set, otherwise if the schedule changes then it won't be updated from what it was before.

XmlTv Plugin
    WebEPG Plugin

XMLTV states "Tick this option if you want the contents of your EPG to be deleted before a new tvguide.xml is imported" and WEB EPG states "If you select this option, existing programs in the database will be removed prior to importing grabbed EPG data". The first clearly implies all the EPG data will be deleted, the second is a bit vague, it could apply to just the channels being imported or the entire guide.

In answer to questions 1 & 2, no it doesn't.

ninja 12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    @Ronski ,

Here's my settings for WebEPG -

WebEPG general tab -

1.jpg

In the TV Mappings tab , import your channel list (click "import" )
    All your channels should be listed , similar to the image below -
    Delete all the channels except Channel 4HD ( or any other channels you want to use WebEPG for )

2.jpg

Select Channel 4HD ,then click on the button highlighted with the red circle in the below screenshot .
    In the popup window , select United Kingdom , then MyDigiguide , then scroll down and select Channel 4 HD .
    Then close the popup window .

When that's done you should see that Channel 4 is mapped to "2www-.mydigiguide.com" as in the screenshot below -
    Set the guide days to whatever you need ( mine is set to 10 but 8 should be fine .( I have 8 days set in the "General Tab , I suppose I should have them set the same :) )

3.jpg

My Grabber Schedule tab .

4.jpg

When all is set , go back to the WebEPG General Tab , and click "Grab Now" .

Don't forget to click the Save button .

Hopefully my instructions are clear enough and it works for you :)

Let me know if it works

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Just as a note to others who may find this thread useful and I've book marked it as I forget how my EPG is setup. Freesat info no longer works, see this for how to fix it Freesat EPG in UK anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom